Printing large photos from online services

zed4

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've had a search on the site and I can't find anything recent on the forum.

I'd like to get my girlfriend a large print or canvas for Christmas but they're quite expensive so I want to get it right! Firstly, I'm using photos I've taken with my Nikon D5000 which I believe is 12 or 13 megapixels. Photos were shot in raw format. I use Aperture 3 on my iMac 27" for post production. So, what would be the biggest I could realistically print? And do you have any tips for PP of a raw photo, such as how much to sharpen etc. Or does this depend entirely on the photo? The photos are of a beach scene shot in bright but low sunlight. I'll upload a couple when I'm home and on my computer tomorrow.

Also, do you have any recommendations for who to use? There seems to be so many people offering printing services now. I don't want to be disappointed after spending quite a lot of money. I'm not yet sure whether I want a print I can frame or a canvas.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

I've been happy with the results from photobox.com, had a few prints at A2 from them.

I had a few done of a friends mutts by Costco, they were arranged on line and collected next day.....not expensive either. Pixmania is one we used a while back without a problem too.

I've been happy with the results from photobox.com, had a few prints at A2 from them.

+1, quality is excellent, use them every year- think electrolyte just recieved his and posted pictures here (calendar)

Thanks for all the replies.

After looking at the photos I had a change of heart and bought a photo book through Aperture of a trip we made to Paris.

I will still get a large print made up, just not for Christmas.

These were the photos we took. Not sure about them now I can see them on the iMac. They seem a bit hazy in the distance as the sun was very bright but very low in the sky, and just to the right of those photos.

2010-11-27%20at%2013-03-23%20%281%29.jpg

2010-11-27%20at%2013-10-27%20%281%29.jpg

2010-11-27%20at%2013-14-50%20%281%29.jpg

2010-11-27%20at%2013-15-54%20%281%29.jpg

2010-11-27%20at%2014-09-45.jpg

sure the sun wasn't to the left in the first 4?

yes they do seem a tad hazy, did you use a UV filter or Hood?

where is this place? these houses look an interesting if not bleak place to live in winter.

sure the sun wasn't to the left in the first 4?

yes they do seem a tad hazy, did you use a UV filter or Hood?

where is this place? these houses look an interesting if not bleak place to live in winter.

Oops, yes, to the left.

I used a hood but forgot to take my UV filter.

It's a place called Kynance Cove, in Lizard, Cornwall.

Oops, yes, to the left.

I used a hood but forgot to take my UV filter.

It's a place called Kynance Cove, in Lizard, Cornwall.

it has lots of potential, look forward to seeing anymore from this area, worth having a Circ-Pol as well to get some real blue in the sky :smashin:

I think if you're framing them some of them might look better as black and whites, turning them B&W also makes it easier to play with the contrast and such without the colours looking off. You can do a bit of dodge and burn on the horizon to give it a bit more definition maybe.

Checkout the price from these people for prints:
Digital photo printing - Digital photo printing online

Personally I think a well framed print looks classier and more timeless than a canvas, but it's personal preference.

If you want to buy off the shelf frames it's a good idea to crop your images to a size that will fit common sizes of mount.

Well it's a good job I didn't print these off as my girlfriend had them printed for me for Christmas! She used Jessops and decided to go for canvas. I'm a fan of both canvas and framed photos, but I agree with what you've said. I think they've actually come out quite well on canvas though.

165548_10150374952400302_561720301_16695379_562893_n.jpg

Low res photo hotlinked from Facebook to give you an idea of how they look. I got my girlfriend a photobook from a trip to Paris which I made and printed via Aperture 3. I'm really pleased with it. I'll get some photos of that online too once I get a chance to photograph it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom