1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Printing Album Listings

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Anonyrat, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Anonyrat

Anonyrat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently got the HD5 and have loaded up about 250 albums plus a few more in My Library.
    Then I wanted to do a list (hard copy) to keep track of them off-line. I am running CronicState 3.2 and I couldn't find any way of doing this. :(

I even sent a query off to Sony this weekend, this is their terse reply:-
    Dear Mr xxxxx,

In response to your enquiry, SonicStage does not support printing or exporting of playlists.

Thank you for your enquiry.

Regards,
    Customer Contact Centre
    Sony Australia Limited

For more information on our products and services please visit our website at www.sony.com.au

Someone somewhere did suggest Screen Hunter to capture screen areas which I did and have listings but this is not the ideal way.

Does anyone know where it keeps the My Listing data. I guess it is in one of the .dat files?

Cheers

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,744
    Does SonicStage allow you to export the track details ? I know with iTunes I can export all the track database to a csv file for example and then import that into either Excel or Access.

3. Anonyrat

Anonyrat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

JohnG, unfortunately there seems to be no way to get data out of this program (not even cut and paste). Export via csv would be brilliant but the computer says " nahh"

4. malheuresement

malheuresement

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know that someone called Marc put together a program for listing the contents of Hi-MD minidiscs (1GB) --[which worked extremely well I would add :thumbsup: ]. I am doubtful, but will try to use it for the HD5, but maybe it can be adapted.

NB I tried to use it [during a brief moment of experimentation] to read the listing on an ATRAC cd. However, I think this was doomed to failure, in no small part due to the fact that this media is accessed through the CD drive, not via the USB port. If your PC can be fooled into thinking that the HD5 is actually a really large MD, then maybe, just maybe.....

mal.

5. malheuresement

malheuresement

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, as I thought. Didn't work.

It was a million-to-one shot.....statistical fact that million-to-one shots occur nine times out of ten! [ref. T. Pratchett]

mal.

6. lockers

lockers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just been having a look at the back door of SonicStage and the information is there, but does require a little searching (and a copy of Access!)

If you open windows explorer (if you're using Windows) and go to the folder where SonicStage puts all your music. Normally C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/Sony Corporation/SonicStage/Packages you will find some .mdb files.

If you open one of them with Access, then open the 't_object' table, column 201 has the artist and 206 has the Album names in it.

I imagine you can extract the necessary information you require from there, but obviously don't modify the tables in any way as SonicStage will probably complain severely if you tinker with this.

I hope this is of some help to start with, perhaps someone else could suggest a neat way of getting the data, I'm afraid my Access skills are a little rusty!
    I know its not ideal, but its all I can think of right now!

EDIT - I accept No Responsibility if you have a fiddle and it all stops working!

7. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,744
    I don't mind having a quick look through if someone has some tables they want me to look at.

8. jjust

jjust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HAHAH sonicstage uses access??????? REALLY? that is TOTALLY bizarre.

I might code up something if I get a chance

9. Anonyrat

Anonyrat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well done and well spotted. I looked everywhere else but All Users....

This is what I have found so far - only a quick look (after copying MtData5.mdb in my list of databases.) Haven't worked out why so many I have young jedi
    $MtData.mdb
    MtData1.mdb
    MtData2.mdb
    MtData3.mdb
    MtData4.mdb
    MtData5.mdb
    MtData.mdb
    MtType.mdb

These are the fields I have used so far.
    206 = Album
    201 = Artist
    200 = Genre
    106 = No. of Tracks (BUT field objspecld =1 the 106 = # tracks)
    (BUT field objspecld=2 then 106 = the actual CD track number)
    100 = Length of Album in seconds (divide by 60 to get mm:ss) when ObjectSpecId =1
    300 = Date Imported
    212 = Initial

I had a few odd records showing, that I had previously deleted and the field 212 had ZZ :boring: in it.
    Also I selected record with total time (field 100) > 0

ObjectSpecId if 1 = Album record
    ObjectSpecId if 2 = Tracks record

:lease: Does any Access guru know how to take field 100 which is seconds like 4388 and format the output in a query like hh:mm:ss (4388 seconds = 00:73:13) - Time is a bar-steward
    last century I could use access no probs now ????

Cheers

10. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,744
    If you change the data type to time (long) will it convert the seconds to hours/mins/seconds ?
    When doing this kind of thing with access databases I always open up a new database and import the tables, that way I can do what I like with them without destroying the originals !

11. Anonyrat

Anonyrat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK Thanks for that.

Oh yes! A definite must. That is exactly what I did.
    BTW How many .mdb files have you got?

Cheers

12. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,744
    I haven't got a sony mp3 player so can't look at this particular database unless someone send me theirs to have a look at.

13. lockers

lockers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I can't remember exactly how many I have (I'm on a different machine at the moment) but I'm almost certain its exactly the same as the ones you listed.

I know I had MtData5.mdb, I don't think I had a version any higher ie, MtData6.mdb. I'm not quite sure why there are so many, I only had a quick look in them to see if it had the data you were after, but there didn't appear to be any obvious differences between them all.

Perhaps that's why SonicStage is on the sluggish side occassionally as it updates all 5 versions with the same information. :D

14. Anonyrat

Anonyrat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally I have done my reports :clap:

1) I copied the MtData.mdb database then used Access to test my reports/queries.
    2) Rewrote the queries/reports so they used the real MtData.mdb database. It seems to get all the latest info from that file. Doesn't do any damage to it :thumbsup:
    I now have an By Album, By Artist and By Genre reports.

Happy Chappy

15. ak47wong

ak47wong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well done, Happy Chappy! :smashin: Now wasn't that fun?

Andrew

16. malheuresement

malheuresement

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have discovered an alternative method for printing the album/library listing.
    I have only slightly dabbled with it, but it seems to be a fairly simple method for obtaining a listing of your albums on your HD5. What you need is Excel [probably do-able in other spreadsheet apps] and Sonic Stage back-up tool.

What you need to do:
    1. Perform a library back-up using the Sonic Stage back-up tool.

2. Copy the file "Omgbkup1" [a text file found in the back-up folder that you specified during the back-up process] and paste it somewhere convenient -- this is to avoid accidental editing of the original file.

3. Import this copied file into Excel, using the symbol "\" as the delimiting character.

4. You can then edit this spreadsheet as you desire, into the format that you require. The album titles are in the last column of text -- the number of the column is dictated by the structure of you library files.

Limitations
    Now, there are some limitations that I can see straight off.

A. This is only useful for Atrac-ripped and unconverted mp3 albums -- single tracks are not detailed, and seeing as though converted mp3 files are stuck in the Optimised Files folder, you can't see what is in there.

B. Only the album title is identified in this file, so the artist name is not included -- unless you call the album "Artist - Album Title" [eg Supergrass - Road To Rouen] when you rip the album. If you do this, then it will benefit you when exploring the hard-disk structure of you library. Also, you can separate the title and artist in Excel easily.If you have already ripped your album, I think you would have to be resigned to the fact that you will have to trawl through the Excel file, inputting the artist to every album.

C. In order to update your listing, you will have to perform a library back-up first, which can take some time, depending on the size of your library. Then you would also have to do some Excel manipulation of the new and previous listing spreadsheets to avoid having to re-enter all of the artist info again!!!

D. This doesn't actually list the albums on your HD5, unless you entire library is on your HD5.

I will try to put together a simple macro to run and remove the unnecessary info, but I don't know when I'll get to do this.

It would be great if some of you can try this out and see how useful [or otherwise!!!] this method could be. Clearly, this isn't as functional as using the Access method, but is an alternative if you don't have access [no pun intended....much].

mal.