• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Printers

Sparky1970

Looking to change my printer, I currently have a Hp 5510 all in one but ink doesn't seem to last long and quite expensive. I had a Canon before and that seemed ok, can anyone recommend an all in one that's around 60 to 70 pounds and good on ink costs?

sparky10

Hi, from one 'sparky' to another! I am looking to replace my aging Epson R3OO and have for many months been looking at different brands and models. All without exception have their good and bad points and come the end I thought shall I just pick 2 of what I consider to be the best and toss a coin to decide! I too intended to spend less, indeed similar to your budget, but have decided to spend a little more and buy (soon) the Epson XP610, taking your point concerning the ink costs this one if you do some homework is quite reasonable compared to many. The price varies from different suppliers, but with careful shopping can be bought for less than £100, a little more than I wanted to spend, but the projected lower running ink cost should make up for this in the long run (hopefully!), hope this helps.

Epson Expression Premium XP-610 Printer: Small printer, big features | Apple news, reviews and how-to's since 2004

sparky10

Great, would be really interested to know what you think of it. I intend to get one as soon as I have used up the inks on my present one.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Sparky1970

Just a quick update so far....I have only managed to print some word documents so far so haven't put it to the full test. It's quite simple to set up, I installed the software disc first as it has the set up manual on there, the paper manual isn't as clear. Wifi set up was easy and my pc recognised it straight away and so did my laptop. It's reasonably quiet when printing and produces a quality print, will update more when I've used all the features, hope this helps!

sparky10

Thanks sparky, glad that is is working okay so far, thought that it would on the basis of what I had read. I will be really interested to hear more as you use it.

ruffage

Distinguished Member
Can you XP610 owners please tell me if it has auto power on please? I've read elsewhere it doesn't, which seems odd considering most networked printers have this feature these days, and particularly when it states you can print to the Epson from anywhere in the world (assuming it's switched on???!!)

ruffage

Distinguished Member
Thanks, but still no clarification that it can auto power on. Now I've been reading reviews on the US Amazon site and most are not too pretty :(

sparky10

Thanks, but still no clarification that it can auto power on. Now I've been reading reviews on the US Amazon site and most are not too pretty :(

Hi, is this not what you were wanting to know, or have I misunderstood you?:confused:

Stay Connected - send your holiday snaps home to print immediately
A multifunction device with its own email address to print from a smartphone or tablet, the XP-610 can print even from the cloud.
The XP-610 has its own email address, so you can take a photo anywhere in the world and email it back home – or to another Epson printer owned by a loved one. What a lovely surprise for whoever you've left behind! It works the other way, too; add someone's email address to your list of Approved Senders and they can print straight to your XP-610.
Home office workers and frequent business travellers can do exactly the same thing by emailing documents to the XP-610 from anywhere in the world.
And, when you're away from home using a computer that's connected to the internet, the Remote Print Driver makes it easy to print straight to the XP-610, so your prints are waiting for you.
And there are even more ways to share photos using Epson Connect, as it's compatible with Google Cloud Print. By linking the XP-610 to accounts on popular cloud storage websites like Dropbox, Google Drive, Box or Evernote, you can scan photos and documents directly to them. Used with any desktop or laptop computer, smartphone, tablet or over WiFi, a compact printer has never been so flexible.

ruffage

Distinguished Member
All that remote printing stuff sounds great in theory, but my point being it doesn't clearly state that the printer has auto power on. You might have to leave the printer switched on and then go on holiday for remote printing to work.
I'm only sceptical as I read this on an Amazon review:

Can XP610 or any other Epson be switched on remotely? 27 Dec 2013
No. If by your question, you mean turn it on or off, definitely no. In fact once the Epson has not been used for some time, it automatically switches itself off to save energy and so on. When you come to print you need to switch on manually by depressing the on/off switch on the printer. You can, however print remotely (via WiFi) from your PC/Mac and it is also Airdrop compliant which permits WiFi printing from a iPhone/iPad. You can also print from "anywhere in the world" by emailing your document to the printer from any computer; but this requires setting up which I've not done. Hope this helps. Ian

I know you shouldn't believe everything you read in reviews, and as Ian states there he's not even set it all up completely yet!

But this is all irrelevant now. I've gone for a Canon Pixma MG7150 from Box.co.uk and not only is it cheaper and has similar running costs to the Epson, it also has a higher print resolution at up to 9600 x 2400 dpi.

sparky10

All that remote printing stuff sounds great in theory, but my point being it doesn't clearly state that the printer has auto power on. You might have to leave the printer switched on and then go on holiday for remote printing to work.
I'm only sceptical as I read this on an Amazon review:

Can XP610 or any other Epson be switched on remotely? 27 Dec 2013
No. If by your question, you mean turn it on or off, definitely no. In fact once the Epson has not been used for some time, it automatically switches itself off to save energy and so on. When you come to print you need to switch on manually by depressing the on/off switch on the printer. You can, however print remotely (via WiFi) from your PC/Mac and it is also Airdrop compliant which permits WiFi printing from a iPhone/iPad. You can also print from "anywhere in the world" by emailing your document to the printer from any computer; but this requires setting up which I've not done. Hope this helps. Ian

I know you shouldn't believe everything you read in reviews, and as Ian states there he's not even set it all up completely yet!

But this is all irrelevant now. I've gone for a Canon Pixma MG7150 from Box.co.uk and not only is it cheaper and has similar running costs to the Epson, it also has a higher print resolution at up to 9600 x 2400 dpi.

Reviews hmm! I had done a lot of homework/research into which printer should I get and yes I read many reviews, some good and some bad and some professionally written. I don`t believe that anyone will find the perfect printer and I guess that in the end you go with your 'gut' feeling along with reviews. I am pleased that you have made your choice however and purchased what you think will meet your needs, happy printing:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom