Question Printer recommendation

Stanman

My MP600R has a error code 5100, done research but none of the solutions work.

After a personal experience recommendation for £100 to £150 printer and scanner, do occasionally photos.

Thanks

ChrisKz

Be careful .. the latest firmware "locks" the cartridges ( you wont be able to use 3rd party refils or refill your own cartridges) .. Disable firmware updates and in setting disable cartridge protection. It's the reason why HP are cheap , they sting you with overpriced cartridges

ChrisKz

You don't need to buy cartridges if you join the HP Instant Ink system.
You pay a monthly fee and I've found it to be cost effective.
If still works out expensive . I believe anyway , that it is again consumer law that you are "locked" into a manufacturers products . HP are the worst for not allowing personal choice . In 2016 they were meant to have let consumers to either use genuine cartridges or compatiable . They keep saying they will release a firmware update ... They never have done .

icemanonline

Distinguished Member
Sorry I disagree. I pay £1.99 for 50 pages a month. That's 600 a year. Plus paper I supply. Total cost for me is about £28 inclusive.

I cannot buy 2 ink carts for hp printer plus paper lower..... No way.

And add to that, you can print 50 full A4 photo's ( you supply the photo paper increasing total cost to extra £30) at full resolution a month and I still couldn't get near cost wise.

I'm sorry but for me and many other families HP instant inks works. It's cheaper and more convenient with HP instant inks sending carts out before you need them.

It's a no brainer when worked out financially over the year. And like me, you can get free months with giving a unique code for a new buyer setting up making it even cheaper.

Ice

ChrisKz

You are missing the point . HP "locks " cartridges so that you cannot choose to either purchace original or compatiable cartridges . It's like buying a vehicle and only allowed to fill it with esso fuel and nothing else . If you are happy supporting HP and it's underhand trading practices . Then fine . I like to reuse cartridges and help recycle . HP are not exactly a "green " company . I'm happy to pay more for a printer and be allowed to have personal choice .

JayCee

Distinguished Member
HP aren't alone in doing that.
The other big Printer companies like Canon and Epsom have also been known to cripple their printers to prevent compatible cartridges being used.

icemanonline

Distinguished Member
Just been on phone to a guy who prints "yard lists!". And he has an HP 4500 printer. He's confirmed he uses compatible cartridges for 3 uses then buys genuine HP cartridges.... Then onto the compatibles again.

He prints hundreds of pages for clients from his home office.... Never had any problems with compatibles.

Ice

ChrisKz

Just been on phone to a guy who prints "yard lists!". And he has an HP 4500 printer. He's confirmed he uses compatible cartridges for 3 uses then buys genuine HP cartridges.... Then onto the compatibles again.

He prints hundreds of pages for clients from his home office.... Never had any problems with compatibles.

Ice
I have tried them and its a no go on my 5010 due to firmware .. HP have admitted using FW to make people buy their carts .. TBH , when I can no longer use , HP printers , will actually pay more and get ( I believe canon?) that has self fill tanks , Ok so they are £300 .. it's worth it , money saving and just bulk buying "cheap" ( money wise not ink quality) . Has he tried filling genuine carts with ink ? . Still . I will be a lot happier when the Printer dies or again is locked . I can then purchase from a compnay that actually gives a choice .. I wonder how many cartridges are washed up on beaches or in landfill sites .. . Still it will be peoples kids that will clear up the mess that this generation will leave behind .. Enjoy your printer ..

icemanonline

Distinguished Member
I think you have just been unlucky with HP.

We use HP for all printing, Epson for scanning..... And small mobile Canon printed for out and about, although lately that had been a no go.

Good luck

Ice

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Home AV, TV, Tech News & Reviews, Plus The Best of July 2020
Top Bottom