Printer: Canon MG5650 - User feedback?

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by 12harry, Jun 9, 2015.

1. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Been reading printer reviews and this Canon appears reasonable, with FOUR separate photo inks and a large black for text.
    Replacement inks look reasonable, too.

Anyone used this model...snags...reliability, etc. ?

In the Spec it suggests Canon photo paper up to 130gsm,is OK; but I presume any paper up to that weight will be good . . .
    I rarely print photos, so printers are often not using the colour printheads . . . so this model, with wifi means I can put it somewhere cool, out of draughts; so the ink should not dry out.
    +In the past I've used Lexmark because the head was in the cartridge, not determined where this one has the head - these days some "cartridges" are just ink-tanks and to replace heads is more expensive than buying New. The Lexmark is no good for Win7 and we've got Win10 soon - so changing my printer after 20 years isn't so painful.
    BTW It's easy to say "Print a test sheet" - but I forget and weeks can go by.

Cheers.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,543
    I think I left my Canon inkjet unused for about 15 months and then could not get anything to print even after several head cleans and even new cartridges. So I moved to a mono Canon laser printer which is far better quality printing text than any inkjet I have ever owned, and cheaper with a 3rd party toner costing £14 for 3200 pages.
    With online photo prints costing only pennies (6x4 at around 12p each, or 5p each if ordering 500+) I really don't see the point in me getting another colour inkjet printer. By the time I have got the photo paper, inks etc. it is unlikely to be much cheaper to print them myself.

So unless you do a lot of colour printing (not just photos) I would suggest you look at a mono laser printer.

Mark.

3. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Thanks MarkE19, that's certainly another thought, as mostly I'm Text-printing and a Laser would be less likely to smudge and are usually "sharper".

The Canon 5650 is said to have paper-handling issues but sometimes users are "thrilled" so I wonder if Canon would risk their reputation with a poor feed-path?
    Yet, something has to explain these cries for help.
    The Canon 6650 is similar AFAIK, and it has a card-reader. Frankly I don't think the "better spec." is worth the extra money and any Pictures on a Camera-Card will be trimmed/Adjusted with advantage...so I can pop the Card into the PC. ( and first make a Master "copy". ).
    Because I like to "fiddle" with images, I need the inkjet at home....and the 5650 / 6650 has 5 tanks - CMYK - &- Text Black (which is larger). However, I suspect these do not have the heads in them, due to the cheap prices for cartridges.
    I'm looking favourably at Argos ( and even J.Lewis!), as these are near ( IF / When ) I want to return the thing! However, I fail to understand why suppliers will suggest Buying extra colour cartridges, which don't fit the printer! Do they think I will be happy with this ink?... er, No!

WIFI issue:-
    I've not had previously: Only using LPT1 for ages (until Win7 stopped the driver for my old Lexmark and 2015 can't get cartridges, it seems ).
    I have a small WiFi/USB plug-in "Adaptor" but you could lose it in the USB Skt. Can this tiny thing really send digital all over the house? - And I presume, to prevent neighbours setting-off my Printer, I'll need to pull the Printer mains-plug when not in use, etc. My reason for having the printer separate is so it can be out of the heated rooms - in the hope this will keep the heads working for longer and several Users have commented it's quite large, needing a sturdy table, etc. Initially I may use the USB feature, at least until I'm confident with the Controls.