1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Printer Advice

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by mjr600, Oct 5, 2003.

1. mjr600

mjr600

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Epson has bitten the dust after being bashed about during a recent house move so a new home printer is called for. I want to spend around the £100 mark, use it for the usual letters and kids homework stuff and turn out some quality photo prints.

Speed isn't that important, Lexmark are out due to the cost of the ink so I was thinking about the HP 5550.

What do you use, are happy with and would suggest.

Thanks

2. driver8

driver8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi mjr - yeah - I'm with you on the Lexmark inks !

PC-pro's current fave is HP-5150 @ only £80 - all round print quality at an amazing price -
    crisp black text, 4ppm (15ppm draft)
    borderless A4 colour in 6mins
    but check out ink prices (from compatibles ?) as described as only 'average' VFM.

Personally I've moved onto a Samsung laser @ £70 - only B&W (obviously !) but highly recommended ! Superb text, whisper quiet, tiny footprint, and although the toner is a stonking £45 it's good for some 5000 sheets !

3. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    If ink cost an issue think about a manufacturer with seperate ink cartridges rather than ones that ship triclour cartridges

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    Dixons/PC World (spit!) are currently selling the Epson Photo 900 for just over £100 and it is getting great reviews.
    If you have a CD/DVD writer then this printer can also print directly onto printable disks and gives excellent results. Nice touch if this is of any use to you.

Mark.

5. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have an Epson StylusScan 2500 which was OK for photo prints, but I wanted better. I now use a Canon S900 (this has now been superceded) which gives superb results. Also, whereas the Epson uses one cartridge for all the colours, this has individual tanks, so, in theory, running costs are cheaper.

I also refuse to buy another Epson as I found their phone support to be at best, terrible, but most of the time, non existant i.e. I gave up waiting after hanging on for half an hour on most occasions!

My advice, therefore, is to look at the latest Canon printers.

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    I also have the Canon S900 and agree that it is a great printer.
    You can get the Epson 950 that does all that the Epson 900 does, but has the 6 ink cartridges, but it is a lot more expensive, as is the Canon.

Mark.

7. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    We were talking to a local company that deals in all things printers, and who refill our ink cats and they said they wouldn't touch HP printers if they could help it.

They recommended Epson printers, even though they would get less repeat business on cartridge refills!

Very annoying since everything we have is HP. And we've had LOTS of problems with our HP A3 printer.

Cheers
    Marc

8. neb

neb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have had a Epson photo 700 for over 3 years and have just got the Epson photo 900 for 99.99 from the dreaded pc world, The print quality is excellent, much better than my old model.

regards
    John

9. wokeye

wokeye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Get an Epson 830U photo stylus, superb photo quality, and cheap compatible ink. Very highly recommended!!!

10. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    I would avoid HP for the simple reason that hardly anywhere sells lookalike clone cartridges.

I can buy, from a local store, cartridges for my ageing Epson 600 for GBP6 colour and GBP4 Black. And they work just as well as the branded ones which are 4+ x this price.

So, I'd choose a replacement printer, based on what options exist for clone cartridges.

11. mjr600

mjr600

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ruled out HPfor that reason and bought a Canon i350 at £70, cheap and chearful photo printer, just right for home use and I got 4 clone cartridges from www.theinkfactory.co.uk for less than £20 inc p and p. Thanks for your help all who have answered.

12. MRW

MRW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I bought an Epson Stylus Photo 915 after seeing it receive a few good mentions on these forums a couple of months back.

Prints out really nice (and right to the edge of the paper if you want) colour photos. It's fast, and although the colour inks are in one cartrifge, they all seem to run out at about the same time, so it's not like the blue gets used up quickly meaning you have to replace the entire cartridge with the other colours still full.

I bought mine from PC World :rolleyes: for £129 2 months ago. I'm very happy with it.

MRW

13. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    Different price range of-course but I bought a HP Photosmart 7960, this is an 8 ink printer and produces fantastic results, much better than my mail order photolab.
    Fair enough I also have an HP 1220C for those A3 office prints (MS Project) and an Apple Colour Laser for general work....

I do not know where all this HP bashing is coming from. First I find the design much more favourable and less double paper eating than the Canons or Epsons. Also the print head is in the cartridge which gets replaced when you change it for fantastic results. With canon and epson you WILL have to change it; at least with Canon you can do it yourself but with Epson you have to send it away.

I like what one of the posters said, seperate ink cartridges are cheaper in theory.....Depending on what you do they can be, but don't be fooled that by default they are.....

But hey everyone to their own....

14. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Based on experience and my usage profile. Seperate ink cartridges are cheaper. I had a HP before my canon. The total 3 canons are cheaper than the HP tricilour I used toi buy and Im not talking clones.

Ive replaced all colour cartridges 3 times a piece but the last set where replaces about 2-3 months apart meaning that 2-4 months of usage of the inks that didnt run out would have been wasted. And with ink (by volume) being more expensive than a good champaigne thats quite a waste.

The comment on double sheet feeding was interesting as I have only come across this once, on a HP deskjet!!!