1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Print problems

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by philipb, Sep 2, 2004.

1. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Not really HTPC related, except I print DVD case inserts and labels on it.

If I don't use my Epson Photo 950 - the one that does CD printing - for long periods the ink cartridges stop working. I think they dry up. Happens whether or not I leave it on or off.

Repeated head cleaning eventually has restored function, but that uses loads of ink and costs a fortune. Yesterday i tried to print and only the two black cartridges worked. All the colour ones no output at all. After 6 head cleaning goes still nothing.

Any views anybody? Is this a feature of the 950?

2. thebigkung

thebigkung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    philipb,

This is a feature of most Epsons IMO. I have 950, 1290, 700photo ex and they all exhibit the same problem. I did notice that the room temp and humidity have a factor in it. I moved my print room from a south facing 'hot' room to a cooler north facing room and the problems became less.

These printers just don't like standing idol. The ink dries in the heads and you you've found out it takes a while to get them clean again. :thumbsdow

3. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Thanks for that. The printer stands close to a window which gets full afternoon sun and the room gets hot. QED.

No magic tips then?

4. thebigkung

thebigkung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, nothing magic here. :(

5. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,245
    Had a same problem with an Epson at work. One of the offices got very hot during the weekend when we had the hottest weather. Come Monday morning it didn't work at all, despite repeated cleanings. Fortunately our stationers just swapped it for another one FOC.

6. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Thanks guys. the last time I had the problem I had to replace most of the cartridges. It worked again after that, but costs a fortune even using non-Epson cartridges.

I've spent some dosh cooling my PC, now the printer too :confused:

7. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I believe Epson printers have a problem with cartridges drying up after a period of not been used even in normal temperatures. I have one and it suffers from the same problem. I read a few comments about this on dpreview forums (digital camera site). Apparently the problem also gets worse with time. I now own a Canon printer, cheaper to run and no problems so far.