print passport photos from digital

dood

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hello
Can someone help? I'm in Gateshead where my wife gave birth to a baby girl 2 days ago. I need to get a passport for the little 'un and therefore need photos. I was hoping not to drag her into town and thought it would be a simple enough job to e-mail a picture to Jessops or some place like that and get them to post the prints back. However they tell me that the smallest size they can do is 6 x 4. For passport photos I need to take the baby in.

Does anyone know a place in this vicinity that will do passport photos from my digital images? I don't mind taking the image on CDR or Fuji smartmedia personally, I just want to avoid taking the baby.

Thanks in advance.

Can't you just re-size and print them yourself?
A previous post mentioned this....

The size I have used in the past is 45mm X 35mm. Just resize an image in your photo editing program, enter the height first and the width will follow suit. Hope this helps you...regards miggs

I'm not in my home country at the moment and therefore don't have my software and printer. I just have my laptop and digital camera.

go to www.google.co.uk enter something like 'online digital picture printing' in the box - restrict the search to UK only then click on 'Google Search' that should get you a few pages of online printing companies and I would of thought at least one of them would help.

Did you have any luck dood

If not come back and maybe I can do them for you.

found a place called Gateshead photo that say they can do the job. Will be trying them this pm. Thanks for your offer.

I thought that digital photo's are not accepted by the passport office, this is the last information we were given. It may of course have chnaged since, but please check first!

Best regards David

quite clearly states that digital images are acceptable as long as the background is white, includes face and shoulders and printed at no less than 800 dpi.

BTW Beejaycee, I got them printed yesterday and they are indistinguishable from normal prints.

dood you say they ask for 800dpi !!! thats way over the top in my opinion, i say 300 tops.

Originally posted by Galaxy
I thought that digital photo's are not accepted by the passport office, this is the last information we were given. It may of course have chnaged since, but please check first!

Best regards David

Most passport photo booths are now digital .

Originally posted by Miggs
dood you say they ask for 800dpi !!! thats way over the top in my opinion, i say 300 tops.

I decided to risk it and sent in my prints from Photobox (300dpi). New passport received safely today. :)

Hello..

I got a program created with .Net Framework.

size 154K.

Can I upload .exe file here??

let me know if you guys need or test.

the program is created for my own needs couple of months ago.
with any size of picture, you can create 4 of ID size picture
instantly and save to other names.
Get that image and send to printer...??

I don't know if the output size is good for you.
But you can zooming in/out too...

========================================
View Photo Albums from Mobile Devices
Create Album: http://www.busyphoto.com
View from Mobile: http://mobile.busyphoto.com
========================================

Originally posted by busyweb
Hello..

I got a program created with .Net Framework.

size 154K.

Can I upload .exe file here??

Please don't post an exe file here for obvious reasons but please feel free to provide a link where it can be found as long as you have the legal right to do so.

Maybe I should qualify my understanding that digital images are not acceptable.....I believe that images taken with digital cameras are OK, but not if they are then printed on INKJET printers, AFAIK the "photome" booths use a photographic process to produce the prints from digital camera device.
The same as if you go into Tescos and get your memory card printed, they dont print them on an inkjet printer.

Of course I need to check this as we produce several hundred passport piccies here a year and if we can use our digi cam and printer then it will be cheaper but not easier than the present polaroid system.

Best regards David

Hey, that Gov website cleary states they must be printed on normal photographic paper, which obviously does not include inkjet material!

Best regards David

Originally posted by rct
I decided to risk it and sent in my prints from Photobox (300dpi). New passport received safely today. :)

There is a big difference between a 300 dpi print on your inkjet or colour laser printer and professionally processed prints from www.fotobox.co.uk, www.fotango.com, www.fotoinside.co.uk or other quality online labs.

1.- The professionally processed image prints every dot in the right colour. Your PC would achieve the colour impression by printing different dots in on of four colours.

2.- The professionally processed print on real photographic paper has shiny colours in a way that inkjets do not achieve.

Can't see people at the home office appreciating our quality discussion :laugh:

Right, as I need to know this for my job I phoned the UK Gov passport office for clarification, after many minutes back and forth from supervisor to who know who!
The official line is, yes it needs to be on "Normal Photographic Paper", but they will accept digital printed images, when i pointed out that digitally printed images will not by definition be on "Normal Photographic Paper" they went away for another discussion!
Finally I had the answer, they will accept digitally printed images on inkjet media, but it must be of "Photographic Quality" on "Photographic Quality Paper".
The bit about 800dpi is a load of tosh of course as 300dpi will be ample and impossible to differentiate between either.

So now I know, and I am sharing the info for clarification, although I will be staying with good old polaroid for the forseeable future, as its far easier and instant!
Besides the camera cost £450..........LOL

Best regards David

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom