Prince - re-signs deal with Warners

english_bob

What the fudge!? He has just re-signed with Warners!

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-27081344

Expanded edition of Purple Rain up-first! Full version of Computer Blue please. And "Something in the Water" alt-take (mostly piano based) on a 1999 reissue.

I know, if they do these re-issues right (I'm not bothered about remasters of the originals) with all these great previously bootlegs extra tracks, that I am buying every single one of them (up to the Black Album).

My mind is buzzing on the possibility of the original Crystal Ball album being the third disc on Sign of the Times!

moby125

The question is, how far have Warner Bros bent over to accommodate Prince?
Prince now has full control over his original masters from his original period with Warners.
Rumours of 2 Hyde Park shows and Glastonbury plus all the hysteria he has created by playing "hit and run shows". Prince will do very well out of this deal.
If Prince plays his cards right and signs a deal with the BBC to show his performance at Glastonbury if he plays and I wouldn't put it past him to have a re - release of Purple Rain at the cinema's as well. His stock will increase substantially.

english_bob

Warners would of gone all the way to secure this no dobut. Prince carried this on for 20 years! I would imagine a new boss at Warners has told his people "by any means" type-of-deal. Give him what he wants.

After all, in music now, who else is there to bring to the fore?

A re-release of Purple Rain at the cinema would be a bad move though...

unique

prince has been in discussions with WB for years. he was put off as each time he visited in recent years he was seeing a different person, whilst when he originally signed he liked to deal with just a few people, and with some of them leaving a few years back, the issues started which caused him to fall out and leave WB

without prince's input WB couldn't do much in respect of remasters with additional tracks, and the catalogue in it's current state had pretty much done all it could. so with recent laws about the rights of masters meaning in the coming few years he could law claim to his masters back, it was in the best interest of both parties to reach a deal. no terms of the deal were announced, there was basically a short press release put out, but as prince was given the rights back to all his masters, i would imagine that would fulfill the large part of prince's deal, and in turn WB get to make more money from a bunch of reissues, but are stuck in putting out a new album they probably have little interest in

what's interesting is the track the breakdown isn't from the proposed 3rdeyegirl album which was going to be released on kobalt, and he recently released a track on epic/sony. so i wonder if WB have an exclusive deal with NPG records, as WB are essentially just distributing product licensed by NPG records

btw glastonbury and hyde park aren't happening

what's a shame is the seem to be missing the anniversary date to issue the album on the 30th day/week, it's not out until fall

what would be good is if they did a SOTT remaster with the original crystal ball tracks and some of the dream factory and camile tracks. however there are a few differences in versions between these 3 albums. putting the unreleased extended version of the ballad of dorothy parker would be cool too. there are a bunch of unreleased remixes from that album. if they did a 3cd set of purple rain with longer alternate versions on the 2nd disc, such as the hallway speach version of computer blue and the unedited purple rain with extra verse, and had a 3rd disc unused tracks such as our destiny, roadhouse garden, wednesday, electric intercourse, possessed, fathers song, eternity, baby you're a trip, etc, instead of padding with a mix of b sides, 12"s and live stuff, then it could be one of the best reissues ever. there certainly is a huge potential. let the fans hear when doves cry with the bass line

there is also a good cds worth of material from between the controversy and 1999 album that would make great bonus material. also to have the longer versions from dirty mind, but they were edited due to lyrical content back then and prince being a JW now it sounds unlikely he would be willing for that kind of stuff to come out now. certainly in the past he's prevented some stuff appearing on the vault and ultimate discs, so he may do the same again. hopefully he doesn't do what he did with the crystal ball multi disc set and edit and overdub tracks instead of leaving them untouched

moby125

I remember reading a feature in Q magazine about 20 years ago, where they were invited to Paisley Park studio's. I can't remember if they spoke to Prince or if they were just privy too a tour around the studio's. But I can remember them mentioning there was over 250 songs which had been recorded but had never been released.
So can't imagine how many there would be now?

unique

I remember reading a feature in Q magazine about 20 years ago, where they were invited to Paisley Park studio's. I can't remember if they spoke to Prince or if they were just privy too a tour around the studio's. But I can remember them mentioning there was over 250 songs which had been recorded but had never been released.
So can't imagine how many there would be now?
if you mean the interview from about 1994, at that time it was considerably more than that being mentioned, something along the lines of over 500. when paisley park opened, he recorded on average 2 full tracks per day when he wasn't on tour. that's written, and all instruments and vocals completed, in a state of the art studio complex, and pretty much in a completed and releasable format. at times he would record whole albums in a single day. the vaults cover most of the underground floor space of paisley park, with the exception of the underground car park. I'm not sure the exact square foot, but the complex is basically the size of a stand alone B&Q or factory, the main stage area has a fire licence to hold 2,000 people, the smaller room capacity is about 5,000. there are actually 3 vaults under the studio

rolling stones recent article mentioned he has the best unreleased back catalogue of the last 40 years. he has literally 100s of fully completed unreleased tracks, and what's ironic about the whole thing is that a great deal of these tracks are fantastic, and better than much of what he has released. so unlike the cash in reissues of many artists or "bootleg" official releases, he has hours and hours of some of his best work sitting unreleased, opening the vaults isn't going to mean a pile of crappy compilations of second rate material, it has the potential for some of his most amazing recordings to be released

in addition to the unreleased songs, there are prince versions of the tracks he gave away to other people, or to be more precise, versions with his lead vocal, as most of what he gave away such as manic Monday, has the original prince backing tracks or is basically a prince track with someone elses lead vocals. on top of that there are amazing alternate versions of tracks, such as the long 14 minute versions of computer blue (there are at least 4), and different versions of both hit tracks like kiss and less known tracks like hallucination rain which has an amazing 10 minute version with long guitar solo. many tracks circulate amongst fans on bootleg, but there are loads more than most fans haven't heard or don't even know exist. the question is whether he will release original versions of tracks like lust u always and extraloveable which have lyrics about rape, or other tracks that are full of full on swearing. there is a response track to p control called good dick and a job for example, which doesn't fit in with a JW way of life too well

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom