1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

prince of persia: the warrior within

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Marc, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    god, what a steaming pile of :censored: everything that was good about the first game has been stripped away and replaced with fighting, fighting and more fighting, which was the worst part of the original game. Other aspects of the game have also been dumbed down, or console-ized as i like to call it. For instance, the prince will now jump over obstacles ON HIS OWN, the sands of time AUTOMATICALLY fly towards you, no need to pick them up, and sometimes you'll be about to go into a fight with some enemies, just for the game to go into a cut scene and kill them all for you! Not to mention the fact that the enemies all die after a couple of hits whether you steal their sand or not. And the camera is now ridiculously annoying for the few platforming sections, as it purposely refuses to let you focus it where you're jumping, making it bloody hard to see where the next platform is.

This is yet another case of a genre defining game being dumbed down to get more sales. Soul Reaver did it with the awful soul reaver 2 and blood omen 2, Worms did it with Worms 3D and the absolutely abysmal Worms Forts, and now Prince of Persia, one of the best games of this century does it too.. i bet in prince of persia 3, we'll have to run around picking up rings or something..

2. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    Its a real shame to hear this as i really enjoyed the first one. But it sounds like you've made some pretty clear observations there, so i'll be approaching with caution. Thanks for the warning.

3. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    i've played further into the game now, and it seems to have become a lot better, a lot more reminiscent of the first game. The last couple of areas i've been to have required a lot of precision jumping, but it seems much easier to do than it did on sands of time. There's also a few sections where you're being chased by the dahaka (grim reaper) and you have to run, swing, jump etc in one fluid motion or you'll get caught - which i actually found to be quite fun.

It's still not as good as the first, as it can be a bit tedious, as nearly every area you go to, you end up going through four times, each way in the past and present, which is just an attempt to give the game more longevity without having to add more levels.

One of my earlier gripes, the fighting, gets a lot better once you get into the game too, as the prince gets a few new combos and better swords which makes it a lot easier when facing four or five enemies at once. So maybe i was a bit hasty with my original 'review' as it's not that bad a game, but it's definitely not as good as sands of time.

4. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    ok, ta for the update - caution shields now reduced to 50% :)

5. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Possibly set sarcasm from "kill" to "stun" also.

Thanks for the update, I've been looking to buy this one.

6. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Anyone who wants this I'm currently selling a brand new copy in the Gaming Classifieds ;)

I ordered it on PC instead of PS2! I've never played Sands of Time so I can't comment on that but the PC demo of WW really impressed me! I decided to get it on PS2 though because a) I don't have a PC joypad and b) I want to play it on my 42" Plasma in PAL Progressive :p

Anyway I was really impressed with the demo, sorry Sands of Time passed me by really, I think I was put off by a review that said it was short.

I'm really looking forward to playing this game, but I was particularly attracted to the increased combat, as it reminded me of another favourite of mine, Devil May Cry.

Anyway if you would like a cheap brand new copy for PC, go here:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172742

You can try a demo for yourself here:
    http://gamesdomain.yahoo.com/ps2/prince_of_persia_warrior_within/files/48673

7. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Well in the interests of fairness I decided to play POP:SOT and I must say I was quite impressed. Although the combat is far superior in WW I liked the emphasis on jumping etc reminded of the original games somewhat.

From only playing both demos, which is hardly a fair comparison but still, I would say both have their strengths and weaknesses. I must say I spotted more weaknesses and annoyances in SOT than in WW though!

One thing I did manage to get working more sucessfully though in SOT was the time element, couldn't quite get to use it effectively in WW, though this could just be the demo or that time slowing etc doesn't come in until later.

My favourite thing about SOT though is the way that once the enemy is weak enough you strike Buffy style with the dagger to collect their "sand" I really liked this element, it gave an extra challenge in combat and the enemy seem much stronger from the start too.

Maybe it's just because it reminded me of Buffy that I liked it, and it is nice to choose your fighting style and weapons in WW instead.

Overall though I think both games are very strong, I don't think I'd buy SOT now I have WW, I'll definitely be getting POP3 though, because if they are able to meld the strongest elements of the two games so far it should be a cracker!