1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by MarkR, Nov 24, 2003.

1. MarkR

MarkR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    It must be over 10 years of ago when I first played the Prince of Persia on the Commodore Amiga. The thing that grabbed me the first time I played it was the realism of the character sprite, it was a revoultion in its own right for its time IMO. All in all I found the game very addictive and would class it as one of my favourite games in that era.
    Point I am getting to is, does anyone know if this latest game Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time will be based on the original? I hope that the game will be the same as the original but this time in 3D?
    Be interested in other peoples views on this game:)

Here is a reminder of the original!!

http://www.prince-of-persia.com/minigame/

2. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Got it, played it, completed it in under 9 hours. (Just had an operation and cannot do much, so first time in a long time I sat and played a game none stop!)

LOVED EVERY SINGLE MINUTE!
    So much so, towards the end I did not overwrite my saves so I could go back and play my favourite bits!

A real quality game!

3. MarkR

MarkR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    Cool, pleased to hear that the game is addictive, I know the original one was, couldn't stop playing it.
    Have they based it on the first game but this time made it in 3D??

4. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,106
    It's a brand new game, only loosely based on the character from the original. The gameplay is very different - not just due to 3d. For instance, you can control time to rewind it, speed yourself up, freeze enemies, etc.

I don't have it yet, but it's on my "buy it from ebay when people who have completed it start selling it" list.

5. Sharpy

Sharpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I remember this game really ****** me off as a kid and shock horror - I play this and its just as annoying :D

6. hulkhead

hulkhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    so they 'stole' the time idea from blinx the timesweeper then.....

7. dennis

dennis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    nine hours? dosent sound like value for money to me,thanks for info wont bother to get it now.

8. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    This seems to be a trend. Call of duty, Max Payne and now Prince seem to only have about 10-12 hours game play time. I'm all for quality over quantity but this still doesn't seem value for money. Granted call of duty has multiplayer that will add to the games longevity but single player is still the major aspect of game buying imo.
    I only hope that the likes of Deux Ex2, Thief and Halflife offer more gaming for buck experiences.:(

9. dennis

dennis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    i was amazed after all the hype over c.o.duty how short it was,good graphics do not a good game make!imo.i need a game to last days not hours.:mad:

10. spanx

spanx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Prince of Persia may be short but it's possibly the finest game I've played this year.

I'm about halfway in (according to the in game percentage meter) after 4 1/2 hours, but it's getting trickier. I doubt I'll do the second half as quickly.

9 hours of pure genius is better VFM than 20 hours of pointless gameplay filler.

11. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I played PoP on the Apple 2 some time before the Amiga version, and Karateka by the same author - awesome games. From what I hear this is a remake upto the name

Neil.

12. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    When yopu complete POP Sands... you get the original game to play through, and when you complete THAT, you get the second game to play through!

I did it in 9 hours or whatever, BUT that does not include retries of levels, it says 9 hours on the game save, it was probably a few more!

13. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've always preferred shorter adventure games. PoP is pure action & adventure all the way through. There's no 'filler': no long empty corridors, repetitive sections, aimless wandering etc. It's 10 hours of highly condensed gameplay.

I'd far rather play 10 hours of that than 20+ hours of less focused gameplay padded out to fill the extra time, as seen in countless games released every year. There are simply too many good games out there to waste precious time.

Very few adventure-type games that try to last for over 20 hours manage to maintain the quality throughout. I can think of KOTOR, Zelda and Metroid Prime this year. Maybe there's a few more that I can't recall right now, but not a huge number of them.

Personally I'd rather see more companies aim for shorter, more condensed gameplay.

By the way, I reviewed PoP, and you can read the review here if you're interested: http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,31500-12935480,00.html

14. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    I'm all for shorter, more condensed gameplay but at a reasonable price. 10 hours gameplay doesn't justify the current cover price of a game imo. Games like neverwinter nights give great value for money with quantity as well as quality.
    If a game developer wants to release a quality game thats a quick fix/shorter life he should release it at a reduce price over games that offer the same quality but more gameplay time.

15. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends how you look at it - and where you buy your games. You don't think £30 for 10 hours quality gaming is good value? I think it is. Plus there's the fact that you can trade it once you've finished with it. You'd get £15-20 for a 2nd hand PoP, so now it's £10-15 for 10 hours play.

I think games like PoP, Call of Duty & Max Payne 2 have been like a breath of fresh idea, and I hope this trend continues.

16. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,106
    I think the value for money is good, compared to say DVD movies.

And as someone who has more games than time, having shorter games is actually an advantage for me. I thought Max Payne 2 was fantastic, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. And after completing it I happily sold it on ebay for about £3 less than I paid for it.

Now that is good value IMHO. :cool:

17. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's exactly what I'm talking about. Buy from Amazon or Play or whatever, and trade it in at your local indie (or Ebay) when you're finished.

18. beng

beng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally, I'm all for the trend of new games like POP featuring straight ports of the games they were based on as additional extras.

Shenmue, Panzer Dragoon Orta, POP, Ninja Gaiden and I'm sure many others. At last, unlockables worth unlocking!