Prince in the UK

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Philly112, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Did anyone catch Prince this past week? We saw him in Manchester on Saturday, and they were smokin! 3This wasn't a nostalgia gig by any means, although he played all the hits of course, but with a power rock trio.
    My wife got the tickets as she's been a fan for 30 years. I was a bit, well, meh...

I was wrong, by a long way. The band were just rocking.

This is a song at the recent Billboard awards, to give an idea as to how he can rock and funk with the best of them.

PRINCE &3rd Eye Girl Live at Billboard Music...

Phil

2. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    i was at all the shows. friday was one of the best, and certainly best of the bigger shows. nice long set too, he improvised a bit more on tracks than the other nights, extending them without dragging them out. saturday was a looser show with more of an aftershow vibe and jsut over 3 hours in length, the setlist was 3 pages and had 4 encores listed but he played 6 encores. i was the guy onstage with the red baywatch t shirt on saturday

to think this time last week i was at ronnie scotts and saw him front row, after 2 shows the previous night. kings row was another special night with the accoustic set, a cracking version of stratus and a great instrumental version of more than this (bryan ferry). hearing him play train in vain by the clash was pretty cool, likewise the whole of the moon by the waterboys - that made mike scotts day/week/month

3. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Wow. We should have met up! We were 3 or 4 'rows' back on Saturday, so I would have seen you dancing away! He didn't play Stratus on Saturday of course, which was a pity for me, but I've seen Cobham play it quite a few times so I won't complain! And also saw Jeff Beck playing it a few years ago with Jam Hammer which was cool.
    As I said, my wife is the main 'fan' and I have to admit to being a little apprehensive. But I was blown away. This was everything I love about music - I think he could have played alone with a piano for 3 hours and still been impressive. And let's face it - if there's a more talented totty band around, I'd be staggered!

Phil

4. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Just sinking in. I saw Prince at the Academy. Like seeing Miles in my living room. I was there. I still can't fathom it out. Prince, the legend, a few feet away. For 3 hours. And he's just a normal guy who likes playing music. I will live on that night for years.

Phil

5. soundstory

soundstory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Always wondered whether that line from Whole of the Moon was actually directed at prince or not

6. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    at ronnie scotts, the whole room was about the size of the stage at manchester and i was front row with just a row of small bar tables in front of the band. there was no stage at all. he was playing at floor level. it literally was as if he was playing in my living room. the equipment used could have literally been setup in my living room with him playing, that's how small it was. and only a few days before i was at a small gig at kings row which was the smallest place he'd played probably ever, and then he does somewhere even smaller. there was talk of a show at the jazz cafe and i thought that was too small so wasn't going to happen, but ronnie scotts is even smaller. the only way i could have got closer was to go onstage, and i did at manchester. i've been onstage a few times but this time i wasn't expecting it. i also didn't expect the manchester shows to rival the london ones, they were better than koko, EB and SB empire

7. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Yes I've been to Ronnies a couple of times. I'm not too surprised he played there simply because of it's long history, and all the other great names who have performed there. Must have been a special night! I was just not expecting much at Manchester, simply thinking he'd do a 60-90 minute set and bugger off. Shows how much I know about Prince...

Phil

8. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    which line? there are a few lines that could possibly reference prince. i don't know the real story but i'm going to get in touch with mike scott directly or indirectly and find out. i know the waterboys covered purple rain live, and i remember way back in the day someone playing me a tape of them playing it. according to wiki the track was completed in may 1985 and around the world in a day was released on 22nd april 1985 (with no lead track/video or promotion, it prettymuch turned up in stores). now that album had the track called the ladder, so the following lines could be about prince...

I pictured a rainbow - after the purple rain? and generally the ATWIAD artwork
    You held it in your hands
    I had flashes
    But you saw the plan
    I wandered out in the world for years - "all round the world in a day" lyrics
    While you just stayed in your room
    I saw the crescent
    You saw the whole of the moon
    You were there in the turnstiles - concert turnstiles?
    With the wind at your heels - prince's high heels?
    You stretched for the stars - baby i'm a star?
    And you know how it feels - baby i'm a star? i feel 4 u?
    To reach too high
    Too far
    Too soon
    I was grounded
    While you filled the skies - 1999 lyrics, the sky was all purple there were people running everywhere
    I was dumbfounded by truth
    You cut through lies
    I saw the rain dirty valley
    You saw Brigadoon
    I saw the crescent
    You saw the whole of the moon - i don't think under the cherry moon was mentioned at this time
    I spoke about wings - wings painted on the horse on the cover of his second album
    You just flew
    I wondered I guessed and I tried
    You just knew
    I sighed
    ... but you swooned!
    I saw the crescent
    With a torch in your pocket
    And the wind at your heels
    You climbed on the ladder - "everybodys looking for the ladder..." lyrics from the Ladder
    And you know how it feels
    To get too high
    Too far too soon
    The whole of the moon!
    Unicorns and cannonballs - the horse on the "prince" cover is like a unicorn, plus ATWIAD cover
    Palaces and piers - where does a prince live?
    Trumpets towers and tenements
    Wide oceans full of tears - "an ocean of violets in bloom" - when doves cry lyrics
    Flags rags ferryboats
    Scimitars and scarves
    Every precious dream and vision - dreams was the original title of the purple rain script
    Underneath the stars
    You climbed on the ladder
    With the wind in your sails
    You came like comet
    Blazing your trail
    Too high too far too soon

--

of course a lot of the rest is vague and could be about him or anyone. if you really know prince lyrics a lot of the rest of the lyrics would ring a few bells too, but at that point in time in 1985 i doubt someone would realise that. the song may not be about him but simply inspired by prince. they heard him and wanted to write a song. like wonderwall for example. if you think the above sounds a bit dusty bin, then you are right, but you needed to be like that to get to the recent gigs by interpreting messages to get to the right place at the right time like where's fluffy in nick and norah's ultimate playlist

9. Lion

Lion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    I feel so old and behind the times :confused:
    is this the same guy who was prince then became the person formerly known as prince with a strange symbol instead of a name and is now prince again ?

10. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855

Well, yes. There is a very good reason for what he did, and it was essentially standing up for the artists who wanted to have some control over the music they made. It was f+++ all to do with him being weird. I didn't understand it at the time. But I do now. He lost the battle of course - X Factor etc prevails now, and it's apparently what we all want.
    Nick Grimshaw was tweeting how wonderful these shows were. Fair enough. Someone then asked him, well, how many times have you played the recent single? No reply.

You need to realise how the record industry works. Prince has produced some amazing music the last 10 years (I'm just realising this now). Zero airplay, zero exposure. Why?

Work it out - we don't like what we like. We like what we are presented with.

Phil

11. Lion

Lion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    I agree with all you said there, I tend to search out buddha bar music nowadays or anything different from the pop pushed via tv/radio, I've still got the purple rain vinyl album, no record deck to play it on now though.

12. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855

Thanks. I was actually not a great fan before the gig (mainly from ignorance). Because I am a right old saddo, I researched like mad before we went (I had 24 hours mind...!). And I realised that this is actually not Michael Jackson, he's not Bono, he's a talented literate guy who just wants to make music and play it to people who will hopefully like it. He's really not some prima donna fool. He has more in common with Joni Mitchell than he does with Michael Jackson.

Phil

13. soundstory

soundstory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    It was this line

You climbed on the ladder
    And you know how it feels
    To get too high
    Too far too soon

I recall reading something, somewhere at the time suggesting that this was aimed at Prince as he was 'looking for the ladder'

14. soundstory

soundstory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Incidentally, i bought the new vinyl issues of 1999 & Purple Rain recently, sound fantastic, recommended

Apparently they were remastered by Bernie Grundman, sound great to these ears

15. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Cheers KIT. Enjoy Jeff Beck. I'd probably have gone but we're off on holiday on 15th and he`s not in Manchester till 19th. Hey Ho.!

Phil