Prime Video & You Tube not working with Sony Smart TV

Mayandi2

Established Member
Reaction score
About 18 months ago I installed 3 home cinemas in our East Sussex penthouse and they were based around an LG OLED 65", Sony Bravia 49" and Panasonic 40" TVs, all 4K. They whole thing was working perfectly but in September 2020 we went for the planned 6-month winter sojourn in India. We were supposed to get back in March 2021 but due to the COVID escalation first in the UK and then in India, we got stuck there and I was able to return to the UK only last week.

Upon activating my systems, the LG and Panasonic TVs prompted updates which I duly installed and everything worked fine since then. But the Sony TV - a Sony BRAVIA KD49XG9005BU - did not prompt any update and when I tried it, I was unable to access Prime Video or You Tube. But Netflix, Google Play etc worled normally, as did Sky Q.

When I attempt t access Prime Video on this TV (it works fine with the other two), it says "No internet connection". With You Tube (also working fine on other TVs), it says "Unable to connect at this time". And yet, Netflix, Google Play etc as well as Sky Q (through Devolo Powerline Adapter) work perfectly. The internet connection on my desktop, laptop and mobile is excellent.

Any idea why this is happeneing and what I can do about it? Thanks in anticipation.

Looks like a factory reset is needed.
Someone else suggested that but it would mean losing all my personal settings and having to do those again. Also, I have heard from other forums that it may not work or might be only a temporary solution.

One thing that I have thought of if nothing else works in the next 2 or 3 weeks is to get an Amazon 4K firestick, now available for £30 or so. If I plug it into the free HDMI 4 port in the TV, will it be able to use the eARC facility to transfer the audio to the surround sound system? (the eARC uses the HDMI 3 port and the other end goes into the Sony HT ZF9 soundbar; I also have wireless rear speakers). Also, will I then have to access Netflix through the stick or can I still use it through the TV as I am now doing?

Try changing the connection to WiFi and see if they work then?
I tried that and it did not work. Same error messages.

Incidentally, I phoned the following people about it yesterday:

1. Amazon (Prime Video): They were very patint and helpful but unable to solve the issue. However, she did say that it might be a licencing issue with Sony but was "unable" to elaborate. In any case, Prime Video works just fine on the other two TVs and my PC.

2. Sky TV: Again, quite helpful as I am a very old customer with a big Q package with them. Sky are also my internet service providers. They said that since Sky Q was working perfectly (even on the Sony TV) and my internet connection per se was excellent it was not a Sky problem. They suggested contacting Sony.

3. Richer Sounds: I had purchased ALL my kit through their Tunbridge Wells outlet and they were most helpful of all. The guy I spoke to felt strongly that it was NOT a fault with the Sony TV but rather some licensing issue between Amazon and Sony that could be resolved in a few weeks or less. He did say that others had complained about the issu between Sony Smart TVs and Prime Video since last November.

I was unable to contact Sony as they were closed.

Once again, If I have no choice but to get the 4K Firestick and plug it into the HDMI 4 on the TV, will the audio from it be able to use the eARC facility which uses the HDMI 3 and goes into the soundbar?

Try rebooting your set (press and hold the on/off button on your remote until your television reboots). If you need to do a factory reset just note down all your settings, a pain but maybe necessary.

1. Amazon (Prime Video): They were very patint and helpful but unable to solve the issue. However, she did say that it might be a licencing issue with Sony but was "unable" to elaborate. In any case, Prime Video works just fine on the other two TVs and my PC.
I have the same with my XH95, the app is just rubbish. Just give it time and eventually it will connect; lately it has been behaving quite alright I have to say but I still prefer to use my Firestick instead with framerate switching ...

2. Sky TV: Again, quite helpful as I am a very old customer with a big Q package with them. Sky are also my internet service providers. They said that since Sky Q was working perfectly (even on the Sony TV) and my internet connection per se was excellent it was not a Sky problem. They suggested contacting Sony.

3. Richer Sounds: I had purchased ALL my kit through their Tunbridge Wells outlet and they were most helpful of all. The guy I spoke to felt strongly that it was NOT a fault with the Sony TV but rather some licensing issue between Amazon and Sony that could be resolved in a few weeks or less. He did say that others had complained about the issu between Sony Smart TVs and Prime Video since last November.

I was unable to contact Sony as they were closed.

Once again, If I have no choice but to get the 4K Firestick and plug it into the HDMI 4 on the TV, will the audio from it be able to use the eARC facility which uses the HDMI 3 and goes into the soundbar?
Try disabling ip v6 in your router if not already disabled

Also try clearing your storage cache and delete the cache for prime.

You can also try clear data for prime.

If that doesnt work as others have said do a factory reset.

What I do before factory reset is take pictures of settings on my phone or tablet, that makes it easier to enter settings back in.

PROBLEM SORTED! I phoned an IT friend and he felt that the problem might be a failure of automatic update of the Sony TV. Earlier, I had searched for and failed to find the on-TV link for a manual update; he took me through the various sub-menus and we discovered that the manual update could only be accessed through the "About" link in the Settings Menu of the TV. I used that and the update took about 20 minutes but now everything works just fine. I refrained from ordering the 4K Fire Stick till I had spoken to this guy and so saved £30.

Thanks for everyone here for trying to help. :thumbs:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom