Bargain Prime Day Deals

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Ok ta added a bottle standard Jamesons to my basket.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I don't normally like Irish coffee but I had some at a golf club near Dublin a few years ago that had a right good splash off Jamesons in it and it was superb. It was free so I went round again and got another :laugh:

Hixs

Distinguished Member
I only tried it fairly recently. I don't do spirits normally, they get me in a fighting mood pretty quick! but it was really nice after a meal.

Dony

Distinguished Member
I only tried it fairly recently. I don't do spirits normally, they get me in a fighting mood pretty quick! but it was really nice after a meal.
If you haven't made one before follow these instructions. I don't bother with the garnish.
How to make the perfect Irish Coffee

Nothing rounds off a good night better than an Irish Coffee (or Calypso coffee for my wife).

Hixs

Distinguished Member
I'm never going to drink it straight tho.

I'm on a alcohol shop now though. Bottle of Port, 3* Martini and the Jamesons right now.

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
@mjn Hope you are being careful this prime day, surely you don't need anymore lights? :D

mjn

Distinguished Member
@mjn Hope you are being careful this prime day, surely you don't need anymore lights? :D
This is easy......I don’t have Prime. Don’t buy that much from amazon at all.

Doug the D

I used to believe this about myself, but as I’ve got older, I’ve realised it’s not what you drink, it’s more about alcohol consumption itself. Alcohol is alcohol (Ethanol?), but with spirits, if you’re not used to drinking them, in theory, an entire bottle of Whisky/ Whiskey, Vodka or Rum is no more then 2 pints of lager by liquid volume at least. A shot of spirits can be drank in a fraction of a second and you won’t bloat after 4 shots. Very easy to get drunk (and aggressive if that’s you) quickly, as opposed to the time it takes to get to the same bad place drinking pints or large bottles of lager, beer or cider. IMO anyway :)

It took me a lot of abusing my body in my teens/ 20’s to learn that I don’t need to get pissed as a handcart to enjoy myself and those I’m with.

Flashy

I used to believe this about myself, but as I’ve got older, I’ve realised it’s not what you drink, it’s more about alcohol consumption itself. Alcohol is alcohol (Ethanol?), but with spirits, if you’re not used to drinking them, in theory, an entire bottle of Whisky/ Whiskey, Vodka or Rum is no more then 2 pints of lager by liquid volume at least. A shot of spirits can be drank in a fraction of a second and you won’t bloat after 4 shots. Very easy to get drunk (and aggressive if that’s you) quickly, as opposed to the time it takes to get to the same bad place drinking pints or large bottles of lager, beer or cider. IMO anyway :)

It took me a lot of abusing my body in my teens/ 20’s to learn that I don’t need to get pissed as a handcart to enjoy myself and those I’m with.
Seconded. I spent my early 20s enjoying myself a little... let's say too much. I think age has something to do with it, too. Back then we would go to the pub on Friday and have five or six pints. Then we'd do it again on the Saturday. And possibly Sunday. I couldn't take that now, even if I wanted to. And I still can't work out how I ever afforded to do it.

Fun fact: in actual fact it's not that easy to get drunk on neat spirits alone. Far easier on wine. The body is best at absorbing alcohol when it's diluted to about 15 per cent, so not far off wine strength. Probably why it was popular with, err, winos, and explains why it was replaced with far-cheaper but similarly-strong cider in more recent years.

It's because the strength of spirits shocks the stomach and everything after into delaying the absorption. It's why in Scandinavia in particular, where alcohol is horrifically expensive, younger people stay at home drinking spirits before then going out-out to a club, where they will drink water throughout the night. This slowly dilutes the alcohol in the body, giving the effect of them steadily getting merrier as the evening goes on, almost as if they were drinking at the time.

Or so I read somewhere, at least.

Last edited:

HMHB

Distinguished Member

Where's @HaRd2BeAr with his Kenneth Williams when you need him? ;)
Edit - you may have to expand the quote of Doug to see what I meant!

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Seriously though I agree about the spirits, you can drink them a lot quicker than pints. My problem has always been that I'd drink many pints and then fancy going on to the shorts when actually I didn't need any more at all. Now I'm older the number of pints I can drink has declined but I still get the taste for shorts towards the end of the night.... probably to stop me having to get up many times in the night for a slash :D

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
I remember going to a drinks promo of some new spirit as a student.

1p a shot, 10p for a mixer.

£5.00 in my pocket and the rest is too hazy to remember. I did wake up with change though, if I didn't I'd probably not have enjoyed the stomach pumping.

rustybin

Distinguished Member
Went for a Stick Up Battery Ring Cam and Show 5 for £75. Will sell the Show for £40-50 on Facebook once the sale is over giving me a cheap additional Ring Cam for a my security set up.

Got this for £6.79 too:

Amazon product

bogart99

Usual inflated prices before MASSIVE discount, usual tat they want out the door. Given up looking to much effort for no end result. Only wanted a couple of 1m 4K HDMI cables. Also not sure why but in a lot of cases the 1m cable is more expensive than a 2m version.

Last edited:

rustybin

Distinguished Member
Usual inflated prices before MASSIVE discount, usual tat they want out the door. Given up looking to much effort for no end result.
Unless you're looking for Echo devices, Prime Day has been a bit crap for a while.

Although they did have some good deals on Chromebooks yesterday.

Donnacha

Distinguished Member
Got the 3rd gen dot for £19 and the battery pack for £21....ideal for our new summerhouse to have this as an outdoor bluetooth/smart speaker. Also got a power washer for the patio, that I had in my basket for months...£20 reduction in a lightning deal yesterday.
Mrs wanted a Fitbit Inspire so got one of those for £11 under the usual price we paid for the kids ones a few months back.

Not massive savings, but savings nonetheless !

swift1

I ordered a Galaxy S10 for £469 yesterday morning, cheapest I could find anywhere. This price then increased by £100 in the evening!
Other than that - where are the deals?

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Whats the point of the Amazon Show devices? Is it just a fancy alarm clock?

I'm abit behind the tech curve these days. Only recently got my first tablet! Just a HD8 though because wasnt sure it would see much use, and it doesnt really..

rustybin

Distinguished Member
Whats the point of the Amazon Show devices? Is it just a fancy alarm clock?

I'm abit behind the tech curve these days. Only recently got my first tablet! Just a HD8 though because wasnt sure it would see much use, and it doesnt really..
We use ours for:

Smart Control devices - turning on off lights / hot tub / heating / hot water
Alarm Clocks (timers for my kids to play on devices / cooking etc)
Listening to music on - we love having the show 8 in the kitchen displaying album art and lyrics

We've got a Show 8 in kitchen and a Show 5 as a bedside device - then another echo of some description in every room or in ear shot of every room (except the kids' bedrooms, because they'd take the piss).

IronGiant

I nearly got sucked in, I put the battery in my basket, then a Dot 3, then up graded to Dot 3 + Amazon switch, then realised that was £50 in total, realised we already have a Dot 3 and don't need another one :) ordered just the battery. Phew...

reevesy

Distinguished Member
We use ours for:

Smart Control devices - turning on off lights / hot tub / heating / hot water
Alarm Clocks (timers for my kids to play on devices / cooking etc)
Listening to music on - we love having the show 8 in the kitchen displaying album art and lyrics

We've got a Show 8 in kitchen and a Show 5 as a bedside device - then another echo of some description in every room or in ear shot of every room (except the kids' bedrooms, because they'd take the piss).

been trying to find out from owners what the show's are like for music compared to the basic echo dot?

The latest video from AVForums

LG SN11RG Dolby Atmos Soundbar, plus, XBOOM Go PN7 & PL7 Wireless Speaker Reviews

Latest News

Sky agrees movie deal with Entertainment One
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Lypertek renames TEVI wireless earphones to PurePlay Z3
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett