1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prime - 28/35/50?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by dejongj, May 13, 2005.

1. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    I've been thinking about getting the Nikon 50mm f1.8 AF-D prime lens for my D70. Main reason I am interested in it is the speed and perceived flexibility for lower light situations. As this lens is known to be one of the sharpest on the market and is only £79 I thought of it as a no-brainer. Unitl...

I started thinking about the digital SLR lens factor, the D70 has got a factor of 1.5 if I am not mistaken which makes this lens really a 75mm. I thought the advantage of the 50mm was that it provide a view like the human eye does....So great for candid and flexibility...

If my assumptions add up so far, should I rather be looking in the 28-35 range for a prime?

Something like the:
    Nikon AF 35 f/2D
    Nikon AF 28 f/2.8D
    Nikon AF 28 f/1.4D (Only kidding, at £1700 it a bit out of my reach...)
    Sigma 28mm f/1.8 EX DG ASPHERICAL MACRO

What do you think?

2. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This one was taken at 35mm so with the crop close enough to how we see (round 5omm as you said)

This might be a bit of a mad one, but i've cropped the photo to try and show how a 50mm would look with the second one.. i know the aspect ratio has changed but i'm just trying to give a rough idea (very)

If you look here, you'll see the same subject taken at 16mm
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13729 round about 26mm equivalent

Attached Files:

3. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    That's an interesting way, how come I didn't think of that. I've got my 18-70 lens so can easily do that comparison...

Thanks Seany...I've just given it a try myself. The 50mm is not for me, 35mm is comming close, 28mm is getting better, but around 24mm it is most comparable with my real view, my eyes....

Think I may still get the 50mm f1.8D from Nikon as it is so cheap and the 'perfect' focal length for portaits....

Anyone got any suggestions around 24mm....For my candids on how I see the world?

4. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Do not forget that crop factor is NOT the same as a magnification factor. Although the 1.5 crop gives the equivalent field of view as a 75mm lens would give on a full frame body, the perspective is still that of a 50mm lens. So you have to ask you self which is more important, FOV, or perspective. If you're doing close in candid stuff, you're probably better off with a more normal FOV, rather than perspective.

5. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    @SeaneyC: I've now the reached the point where I need further education. I don't seem to get the difference between FOV (Get that one) and Perpspective (Don't get that one)...

Would you mind elaborating a bit more on this subject.

6. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
  7. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    Thanks for that, very useful!

Do you think my interpretation is correct: In order to keep the fov & perspective as close as the naked eyes sees it I have got two possibilities:
    1) Get further away an use a tele-zoom.
    2) Get a prime with the smallest angle-of-view..For example the Sigma 28mm-f1.8 is 75.4 degrees, whilst the Nikon 35mm-f2 is 62 degrees and provides less 'distortian' in perspective...

8. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Yeh sorry about that it was really badly worded on my part!

9. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    No worries! Never looked at the glosssary before, so that is useful to know it is there...I find it quite interesting to discover this difference, the annoying thing is that there is yet another thing to keep in mind....

10. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Haha i'm confusing myself now! To get the same perspective as a normal 50mm lense, you can use any lens, as long as the distance from camera to subject is the same, obviously this throws up problems due to the 1.5 crop, so you need to uses a shorted focal length lens, which throws up new different DOF issues due to the new focal length

11. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    I have the f/1.8 50mm for my D70 and it's a cracking lens. For under £100 it's also a steal.

Example shot below.

Attached Files:

12. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've got the 50mm 1.4 i actually like like 50mm with the 1.6 crop

I was thinking of getting canon 35mm f1.4 L prime. http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-35mm-f-1.4-L-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

I've really become a big fan of primes the last couple of weeks (only had some that long) Not that i wouldnt have a zoom, i think i might have been a bit hasty sending my 16-35 back actually. I don't think i really tested it as much as i should have and i think i'm going to have to another look at it along with a wide prime and the 35mm prime

13. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    I must admit that I am more and more getting drawn to Sigma 30mm f/1.4 in APS-C format, so a 'true' 30mm....It's got a nice small angle-of-view of 45% so in theory it should preserve some of the perspective artifacts....

I find that a true 30mm, a 20mm on a Nikon 1.5 factor sensor, provides a much more realistic field-of-view.....

You may see what I mean by the sample shots below from my home office; left to right is 50mm, 35mm, 28mm, 24mm in APS-C speak...I forgot to go down from 24 to 20mm, so did it afterwards but can't be bothered loading in the computer....

Anyway I think it is time to go to the shop and try some out for real....

BTW No processing done on these images, all shot in a darkish room in ISO-1600 and no flash....

Attached Files:

14. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I find the 28-105 USM canon an excellent starter walkaround lens for my 1D, i wasn't expecting much from it, but it's very good! Think that the 12-24 could be a nice "landscape" walkabout lens. If that makes any sense at all :)

15. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Funny you should say that sean, i was just looking at this http://www.pbase.com/joubert/12_24