1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

primary/slave HDD? want to format one HDD...any advice? :)

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by goatywoaty, Sep 17, 2005.

1. goatywoaty

goatywoaty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Hi everyone,

Basically my Dads computer is knackered, his windows is so full of viruses and what not, that the computer wont start up, ive taken his HDD out and placed it into my old computer so that I can format it and put windows on it fresh.

My old computer however will not load up with my Dads hard disk in there as well as the normal one, obviously as they are both set as primary HDDs...

Is it something to do with the pins covered up on the back, do i have to take the small plastic bit off and move it on my Dads HDD so that it will not try and load up its OS?

Any advice would be much appreciated :thumbsup:

Regards,

Kiran

2. InsertNameHere

InsertNameHere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You need to pull out the jumper and replace it over the pins corresponding to 'slave'. It should illustrate what position this is on the hard drive itself. The computer should then boot up and it'll show up as an additional drive within windows. Any data can then be extracted off it.

However, if your aim is just to format the drive, then this can be done inside your dad's machine - there's no need to take it out. You can use a utility from your hard drive manufacturer or use windows itself to format the drive...

3. goatywoaty

goatywoaty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Hiya, thanks for that, I have tried to do this (place the jumper over the pins to set it as slave) but still to no avail, my computer still does not recognise any drive :eek:

I looked on the fujitsu website and it quotes "Notes:
    When the device type is set by the jumper on the device, the device should not be configured for cable selection. "

Any idea what this means? And is there a way around it so I can erase the data with my computer. I ask this because his computer will not even load windows up, and It also will not let me format the hard disk through the commands...

Thanks for your help! :thumbsup:

Kiran

4. InsertNameHere

InsertNameHere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hard drives can be configured as 'Master', 'Slave' or 'Cable Select' (CS). You can either connect your drives as follows:

HDD 1 -> Master
    HDD 2 -> Slave

or

HDD 1 -> Cable Select
    HDD 2 -> Cable Select

Whereas the first method explicitly tells the HDD what it is (Master or Slave), the second method lets the IDE cable determine which is which.

You say that Fujitsu recommend that you DO NOT use Cable Select. Therefore for your computer make sure that your existing HDD is set to MASTER and your dad's HDD set to SLAVE.

Also you may need to enter the BIOS (F2 on my computer) and ensure that it's set to 'auto detect' for all drives.

I have two questions: Does your computer boot up with the second HDD installed and what OS are you using?

Alex

5. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Depending on the hard disk in your PC, you may need to tell it that it's a Master with a slave present - Western Digital drives are notorious for it.

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,008
    Also it may help putting the master on cable IDE 1 and the slave on IDE 2.

7. DVDKiNG2005

DVDKiNG2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh sweet you just solved a problem i've had before, never thought about that, but i tried it there and it worked lol cheers m8.