1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Primare V25 has PAL Prog, XVGA output etc!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Kane D Williams, May 7, 2002.

1. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Folks

Respected French Hi-Fi company Primare has released its 3rd DVD player, the V25. It comes with a simple handset hack to give multi-region playback with "proper" PAL progressive! It also has XVGA output that can send Progressive RGB as well as component. The digital deviation (Jitter) for PCM playback is only 149 ps which should result in accurate CD playback. In fact Primare clams that it's equal to a stand alone CD player in the same price bracket of £1000 (about $1500 USD)!! What TV and Video magazine said it was a very good machine, but claimed it was a little overpriced. They did not however commented on its CD performance or in my opinion gave Primare enough credit for the VGA output. They did however say the PAL prog was excellent with the SIM2 HT300!

If anyone has seen and heard this baby let us know? Does anyone know if it has the chroma bug?

Cheers Kane

2. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    If anyone has got this have any Loewe Tv owners been able to try it. Especially via the vga connection.

3. dave48

dave48
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Primare are definitely not French - I think they are Swedish (or Danish at worst :)

Dave48

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I thought I said all this a while ago in the Loewe thread. I haven't played with the v25 yet but the previous two Primare DVD players were no great shakes. I hope this one is better, especially the de-interlacing. This combination needs to be TESTED before we get too excited.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=36255&referrerid=7278

What about an Arcam PS player outputting RGB?

5. G.M

G.M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tested the updated v10 recently, picture quality is better than the previous model. I'm using an s-video to scart lead into a 32 inch w/s Tv. I didn't notice any of the problems noted with the s-video connection in What video/Tv recent review
    on the v25. Perhaps it's only noticeable on a projector?
    I phoned the distributors regarding the reviewers reservations about the lack of a video buffer and was told that this is omitted
    on picture quality grounds.Makes you wonder why every other manufacturer fits it. Seemingly there is only a problem when you connect up two display units ie. a TV in the bedroom and a Tv
    in the lounge. The voltage on the video output drops from 1.0v to 0.6v. I'm hoping to try out a V25 as soon as my dealer gets a hold of one.
    regards,
    G.M.

6. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    If someone tells you they are omitting video buffers on quality grounds then they are being er..... somewhat economical with the truth.

In our opinion it is essential to put in 75 ohm impedance video buffers after the reconstruction filters on the outputs of a video DAC or else you are a hostage to the quality of the cables, monitor input etc and the frequency response of the system is not fully predictable. Put another way, the video filter's output impedance varies with frequency, so you must buffer it.

Professional video engineers (we have two at Arcam) know this!

Of course the video buffers have to be good ones with minimal phase and amplitude distortion, so they rarely come cheap.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)