1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

primare spa21 vs HK avr-8500

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by run, Apr 1, 2005.

?
  1. primare spa21

7 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. harman / kardon avr-8500

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. run

run

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,

if you own or have been using any of these products, could you post your impressions here? Primare design wins hands down, but I am just wondering whether it works as good as it looks :)

thanks

2. run

run

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    maybe I posted this to a wrong formum. Sorry about that. Anyway, if you have any expierience with those recievers, please let me know.

3. u32t5645

u32t5645

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have experience with the Primare SP31…SP31.7 MkII in the States. Not positive at all, lack of quality control. The build quality leaves a lot to be desired. Returned the first A30.5 MkII amp because it has a huge, crushing impact mark on the face, but no impact on the box…it came form the factory that way! Returned the SP31.7 because the volume knob was binding…bent shaft. The second amp shipped with a ding on the side but I could overlook it because I don’t see it from the front, but it shipped from the factory with the wrong power cord. Had to get that exchanged. The replacement SP31.7 is having problems with menu selection from the front panel. It’ll be returned this week. Other folks in my area have returned Primare equipment (a couple pieces) but I don’t know why. The store allows for a full refund within 30-days for any reason so it may not be quality related issues for them as it was/is for me.

Primare is beautiful to look at but the quality of the SP31’s and A30.5’s I’ve gotten my hands on (3 out of 4) just isn’t there. What comes to my mind is a lack of quality control can be a sign of a company’s pending insolvency. I don’t know what the status of Primare is but since I have the opportunity to get a refund and buy something else, I’m not willing to chance it. Perhaps you will have better luck.

4. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    Ive had my h/k for just over a year now with no issues at all,very well built and to me sounds great with music and movies.only thing is it does'nt have lip sync adjustment which you may need with plasma but you can now buy electronics to add on such as the felston audio delay for £140 so not a problem.With it being a high current amp it will also drive most speakers easily.
    Cheers Gonzo.

5. mozart

mozart
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jesus! My SPA20 has done its job faultlessly for a couple of years now, and one thing I really can't complain about is build quality. I'm absolutely positive this is a better option, when it comes to music reproduction, than whatever HK has come up with. For impressive movie playback, I'm not that certain. My experiences with SPA20 are all positive, except for some hardness in high frequenzies. Lovely midrange, excellent bass, fantastic midbass kick, detail is almost too much for a lot of redbook recordings, however - but when recordings are top class, so is SPA20. The only thing I'm not so impressed with is SPA20s prosessing of digital signals. Movie soundtracks sound a bit on the safe side, pleasing, but not cutting edge.
    With analogue connections, however, it is absolutely fabulous. Connected this way to a quality cd player or a dvd-player with a good analogue stage, it takes some beating. Japanese amps are often compromized in this area, so I guess this is why people are connecting dvd-players to processors/amps digitally. I can't see any other reason. It's not like a digital connection to any digital screen, where the signal stays digital from source to screen, with no d/a a/d conversion. Hey, why didn't the digital stereo amps take over? Have you seen the latest Cyrus, Arcam, Krell, Mark Levinson stereo amps with digital inputs? They are all supposed to be amazing (if they excisted, that is). CD is as digital as DVD, but why don't they make high end preamps that are making the "most" of the CD-medium? What is the difference between CD and DVD except for some highly compressed DTS and DD patents, and a few more channels? Go buy a HK. They are supposed to have a trillion watts available whenever you need them.