1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Primare SP31.7 vrs Primare SPA20

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by General Skanky, Jul 5, 2003.

1. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I posted in the processor thread a devastating SP31.7 review.

I've deleted that and started again here. I am a bit of a numptey after all (to those that read it). Apologies to Primare.:blush:

Anyway, here goes my new one.:)

SP31.7

Nice slimline unit. Good cosmetics and construction. When you get it going right, it has quite a free, but mellow and gentle sound. Turn it up and it gets louder, but not really exciting. It's flaw is it's too polite.

Overall it has good connectivity. The software/menu is very easy to use, except...... the surround set up. You have to tell the unit to use the side speakers as the rear speakers, if you don't intend to use 7.1, ie side speakers. Not really logical, and that is what threw me the first time I used it. No wonder it sounded dreadful. :rolleyes:

The new remote is very simple to use. I never actually did get it going. I just used the one for the SPA 20 as it was there and worked. But they are practically the same, just posher for the SP31.7, being of a metal cast type. Good for wives to throw at husbands I expect.:laugh:

Overall it was ok. It's supposed to be superior to the SPA 20, with better on board DACs, more impressive spec sheet etc. However...........................

SPA 20

Basically the processor but bundled with a 5 channel amp section to make it an integrated. Lesser ability DACs for the audio side. Just bigger and heavier overall. Still looks and feels good though.

Menus are almost identical, minus a few extras on the SP31.7, like the ability to run 4 separate 12v switches for electronic screen, lights etc. This only has one.

Its sound though. In our opinion it beats the SP31.7. On the hifi audio side it's supposed to lose out to the processor, but it sounded better to us. Maybe because it is a bit rougher round the edges? Who knows. It's just musical. OK, it isn't a £2K stereo amp, but it's not far off!

As for cinema, couldn't really tell too much between the two. Again, it doesn't seem as 'nicey' as the processor, more rugged. However, I suspect they have exactly the same AV processing components inside. The SPA 20 was just more fun overall. It could belt them out a bit more.:smashin:

Overall, we're probably going to buy the SPA 20 as it gives better value; a few extra amps, albeit not to the power amp standard, same abilities across the board if not better and the display is loads better. If you like to squint, buy the SP31.7, it really is miniscule.

I've got them both here for the weekend until Tuesday morning. so if anyone wants to ask specific questions about either, now is the time to do so.

I've stopped writing anymore as the brief overview should be enough to go on.

2. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Well, we've finished upgrading the amps and processor.

We ended up with/settled on the Primare SPA20, Primare P30.3 and P30.5 power amps.

Sorry to a couple of dealers who I was considering Tag and a better Arcam DVD from. Maybe next time.:blush:

My thanks go to-

www.signals.demon.co.uk who lent me the kit to try over a couple of weeks. Great to buy from and very helpful and friendly indeed. Recommended.

I'd also like to thank the guys at www.csesolutions.co.uk for sending the kit I bought to Signals straight away. They were very fast in providing what I was after. I spoke to them once and were very helpful also. Thanks again.

And finally Sevenoaks in Aberdeen. They sold the Arcam to me, posted and delivered almost before I'd put the phone down.:) Thanks very much.

We've got a sound we like now. It's also our hifi, whilst not perfect is bloody good considering. Apart from changing the pj at some point in the future, dare I say it, we're done for now.:laugh:

I updated the photos by adding a few on the end for the nosey people. :)

3. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Enjoyed the pics. :)