Primare i30 amplifier/banana plug problem

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by ellison, Feb 11, 2009.

1. ellison

ellison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Are there any primare i30 owners here that can help me figure out ,how to connect a banana plug into the speaker outputs at the back of this amp?.Ive had a few amps in my time but none were quite as difficult as this.There is ,a clear plastic shroud over the speaker terminals ,that does,nt seem to be removable (at least with normal force).This shroud covers the red and black coloured plastic inserts that i assume are removable(?) and would allow insertion of the banana plug.However the plastic shrouds dont want to come off and seem to be a part of the design?.This shroud only allows insertion of bare wire from underneath the speaker post ,that can be clamped.Any help /advice appreciated.
    ellison

2. Libelulle

Libelulle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Presumably they don't unscrew, as opposed to just pulling off?

3. ellison

ellison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    My mistake ,the inserts do pull out.The inserts on the amp i recieved were pushed in a little too far and i had great difficulty in getting the damn things out.Sorted now however :)
    ellison

4. Solfatara

Solfatara
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am also having problems with the Primare i30 speaker terminals. I have managed to remove the clear plastic covers from the terminals, but I have not managed to remove the red and black plastic inserts (rods). Do they simply pull out using pliers or are they threaded and screw out? I am reluctant to use too much force, as I do not want to damage the terminals.
    Any suggestions :lease:?
    Solfatara

5. ellison

ellison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The inserts do pull out ...i used small long nosed pliers ,but its damn hard.I contacted primare about it but from the reply felt that they thought its common sense on how to remove them and that its easy,but it was far from easy ,as the rod is very long and tightly fitted.
    ellison

6. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,542
    The rods do not need snapping off by application of brute force. Rather you simply need to use the correct connector. The correct connector is called a BFA plug and detailled info can be found here. The connector can be purchased from you local dealer or electronics shop.

7. ellison

ellison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Mark....
    Im a little confused by this and the link ,as im led to believe that 4mm banana plugs cant be fitted to the i30 terminals,however the primare i30 manual states that 2the terminals can accept speaker cabled terminated with 4mm banana plugs".An email from primare tech support also stated that i just needed to pull out the red and black plastic rods with a long nosed pliers.
    ellison

8. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,542
    The BFA plug is like a hollow 4mm banana plug. The rod goes into the hole and everything works just fine.

9. ellison

ellison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Mark...
    The problem is that the terminals wont accept 4mm banana plugs (as far as i can tell) as stated in the manual unless you remove the plastic rods.It doesn't even mention anything about BFA plugs or connectors which i assume is another way to connect as you pointed out.The primare manual is rather basic and probably needs updating to mention this.Although primare support said they can be pulled out ,they dont come out easily which is also a concern if connecting using the banana plug method.
    ellison

10. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,542
    This is not a problem - the UK version is not supposed to take banana plugs, but to require BFA plugs. Quite a lot of manufacturers do this to accord to UK legislation.

The Primare manual is for the whole of the world, the BFA plug is a UK norm. The rod is not meant to pull out, it's meant to "encourage" use of the BFA plug and "discourage" use of banana plugs.

Purchasing the correct plug is really easy - just walk into your local electronics supermarket. Gold-plated plugs cost around £4 a pair.

11. ellison

ellison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Mark.........
    Purchasing the correct plug (BFA) and fitting would have been much easier if the information in the manual actually stated this was the connection to use. There is no mention of this type of plug in the manual ,but there is mention of the i30 being able to accept 4mm banana plugs. The manual is also only in English ,so im not sure how that would apply to the rest of the world?.I agree that after reading your link (i personally have never heard of BFA plugs until you mentioned them and i read that link) that they might be a good thing for safety ,however i do feel that Primare should have updated their manual by now for its European customers.
    When i sent this email to tech support..........
    Hello...
    Im a proud owner of one of your I30 amplifiers.However I am having difficulty in using banana plugs in the speaker posts.They are covered by a plastic shroud which doesn't seem removable with normal force,and which seems to cover the inserts where the banana plug is usually inserted. The only place i can seem to insert anything is underneath the shroud ,and this only allows me to use bare wire.Are the shrouds removable?,and are the plastic inserts also removable?.If not i cant see how a standard banana plug would fit.
    thanks in advance

Heres the reply i received....

Hi ******

Just pull the plastic plugs straight out with a pliers or similar!

Kind Regards
    Primare Technical Support
    [email protected]

As you can see no mention of BFA plugs.If i had known that in the beginning i would have just bought them as you suggested ,instead of pulling the inserts out as suggested by primare support in response to my email ,which clearly indicates that i dont know anything about BFA plugs.
    ellison

12. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Ellison simply pop the inserts out and use standard 4mm banana’s, this is a custom with kit in the UK to force the use of BFA plugs, quite daft really, when our European cousins don’t bother, I have seen Linn amps with BFA connections rammed with match sticks to take up slack from speaker cables. They are a daft connection IMHO. But the UK hifi sector stubbornly has to toe the line whilst Europe ignores this.

13. ellison

ellison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi cj...
    I have already pulled the inserts out and am indeed using 4mm banana plugs.My worry though is that someone may actually damage the speaker terminals pulling them out ,as believe me...they don't come out easily.It could all be avoided if primare simply updated their manual for European customers to make them aware of this type of connection,which up until recently i was totally oblivious to ,and im sure im not alone.I just wonder what the risk assessment results were of actually sticking a 4mm banana plug into a mains socket were?.
    The reasoning behind the prohibition of cable-mounted 4mm (and smaller-sized) plugs is that they can be inserted into a European mains socket with possibly fatal consequences.

It sounds like health & safety gone mad and in the same vein as the recent ban on step ladders at an Oxford university library where they have been used for 400 years !!
    PrairiePundit: After 400 years step ladders banned from Oxford University library
    ellison