Primare CD31/I30 combination:Your opinions please

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by EricHitchmo, May 3, 2007.

1. EricHitchmo

EricHitchmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The hifi press seems to think this combiniation is the best at the price
    (£3000). Anyone own/agree/diagree?

I'm looking for a simple (ie 2 boxes)yet rocking hifi system and will test the Primares against the Arcam FMJs. See the Primare as the clear favourite.

Or could the A5 Musical Fidelity pairing be better?

2. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    it comes down to personal taste and music.....most pairings around £3k will sound amazing.....but they all do one thing better than the other, and conversely will most likely suffer something too....

personally i preferred MF over Primare but only by a few minor quibbles, namely bass control and vocals......

i preferred both over Arcam for various reasons....likewise over Roksan to an even greater scale...

the only thing i would say is that the MF A5 amp is tops, but i'd consider other options for the source.....the Arcam players work far better with the MF amp than with the Arcam amp for some reason......this is all based mostly on a pair of GR10's from MA, however also MA RS range, B&W 7xx range and KEF Reference...

edit: you say for a rocking system, if you mean it in the figurative sense, ie to play rock music on then do actually consider Roksan as its part of their ethos.....if you just mean a system capable of being alive and amazing, well, my music choices are extremely ecletic and i found the MF A5 won hands down on the various speakers.....but the Primare was close behind....if i listened to certain types of music more often i'd probably have found it harder to choose...

3. EricHitchmo

EricHitchmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for replying. I like rocking music, ie with great attack pace and snap. The range of music I have is uber broad, from Miles Davis to Aphex Twin, from Gram Parsons to Slayer. I just really want a superior all round hifi that has massive headroom for any speakers and has a neutral frequency response. Lets see what MF are going to announce on June 1st...

4. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    well, with a wide range of music being listened to, and noting you mention names such as Aphex, definitely keep the MF's on the list.....they do the best job with deeper bass notes for one thing....they dont tighten up the wobbly bass sounds on the assumption they should do, they let the bass wobble when it should.....also midbass snaps brilliantly.....

the Primares are very close behind and dependant on speakers could well prove to be better, but with Monitor Audio I would say the MF ruled....

i cant wait for the revealing on the MF website...heh....given someone mentioned the A series no longer being made or one of the A series, im guessing it might be a replacement....

im still waiting for them to announce the final winner of the review competition, with a bit of luck i've got an MF A5 CD player on its way to me....haha :)

5. chubbers1408

chubbers1408
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have a Primare Cd31 / I30 / A30.2 combo hooked up with a pair of Nautilus 805s. Sound is fantastic; concise and detailed. I did consider the MF A5 setup too and that sounded great but in the end I went for the Primare because of the better stying (in my opinion).

6. EricHitchmo

EricHitchmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  7. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +651
    The Primare stuff is amazing, probably what i'd own if i didn't own Naim... you mention nothing about them on your list and i think with that budget you really should listen.

For what you want to listen to, i think they could be an excellent choice. But the best solution is to listen to lots of systems and see what you think...