Primare AV25

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Laingy, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Laingy

Laingy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just auditioned the Arcam DV88 (1k), the Primare AV25(1k), the Meridian (2.5k) and the Tag DVD32r (4.3k). Just thought I would let you know my conclusions based upon viewing these 4 machines. Firstly the Arcam was the clear loser in the group, the picture was poor and grainy in comparison to the others (the colours were less clear and the battle scene in gladiator seemed to be mainly blue and dark). The real surprise was the Primare, this offers PS on Pal and NTSC and the colours are truly amazing, within Gladiator the benefit of PS could be seen around the shield edges, where all jaggies were removed, and the overall colours were rich, the battle scenes showed vibrant green forests and the whole scene appeared more ‘3-D’ like (odd phrase I know). The real disappointment was the meridian while watching seven, the dark scenes appeared very grey, and overall the colours appeared slightly washed out,, while on the primare the dark scenes were black, also the picture on the meridian appeared grainy. The overall winner was the Tag, however the difference over the Primare wasn’t that great (and it costs 4X as much) and it doesn’t do PS and you could clearly see the difference when items were moving with speed. Also the DVD sound on the Tag was clearer, detailed and spacial. But the big difference was on CD when the Primare sound was very bassy, warm and slightly ‘muddled’, whereas the Tag was very clear and precise and the bass wasn’t warm just bassy.

I suggest if people are looking for a PS DVD player they audition the Primare it is a great machine with a superb picture and offers both PAL and NTSC PS.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Which discs did you use and what region was each one if you don't mind me asking.

Also the DV88 when fitted with prog scan board will do pal and ntsc progressive as will the DVD32r when fitted with it's progressive scan board.

Gordon

3. Laingy

Laingy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    both gladiator and seven were region 2, also watched fast and furious on region 2 (I think). The DVD were hooked up to a Panasonic plasma via the Tag AV32R powered by Tag 2x 250 monoblocks, and the 5x100R for a 7.1 channel system. Sounded pretty good too