Primare a30.7

inferno_red

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone got any experience with this amp? Any good? Is this a sensible upgrade from a rotel rmb 1075?

Thanks

I had a Yamaha Z7 driving KEF R series R900,R600 and R300 rears, the Yamaha I felt held them back so was intending to add the Primare. In the meantime I switched to the Marantz 8802 and the Nakamichi AVP and noticed a noticeable jump in quality obviously some was driven by the pre amp but the extra amplification really made the KEFs far more dynamic. I've since added the Primare and a noticeable jump again , I'm now looking at the Primare i32 to drive some KEF LS50s. A couple of the dealers offered home trials so might be worth trying that

Thanks for the reply. I think I might see if I can get a home trial and then mske a decision. Cheers

I have this amp. It's a real shame that Primare don't give much info on it. They say it can deliver 150w into 8 ohms all channels driven but I'd like to know what it delivers into 4 ohms.

According to some lab measurements it will do 287w with 5 channels driven (4 ohm). Not sure if this is the same when driving all 7. How do you find the amp does it gave any particular character to it? What is the noise floor like on it?

According to some lab measurements it will do 287w with 5 channels driven (4 ohm). Not sure if this is the same when driving all 7. How do you find the amp does it gave any particular character to it? What is the noise floor like on it?

Hi
Can I ask where you found those lab measurements?

The a30.7 seems to do a very good job of driving my XTZ cinema series speakers ( M6 for LCR, S5 for surrounds and S2 for rear backs)

The thing is I bought the amp and changed my speakers and sub all at the same time so it's very difficult for me to compare it to previous amps. In addition this is my first multichannel amp so again difficult for me to compare.

I find it hard to give a direct comparison as I switched out my receiver for a different pre amp and the A30.7 at the same time, the amp seems extremely neutral i.e. neither bright or warm, great dynamics and soundstage, re noise floor I've just tried cranking my preamp up the max with no signal and absolutely no sound from the A30.7 whilst I could hear slight background noise from the 4 speakers connected to the Nakamichi AVP1. Small form factor runs totally cool and seems to drive the KEF R series effortlessly. Im sure youll have already seen it but there's a review here:
Primare A30.7 Seven-Channel Class D Power Amplifier - HomeTheaterHifi.com

Last edited:
I had the A30.7 for a home demo a while back... it's a great amp for music,be it stereo or multichannel!

I'm toying with getting the Primare to run my main seven channels using a Denon X7200WA as a processor. Around £2000-£2500 new is there anything to beat the Primare or be considered? New not used mind. Only interested in movies.

I know this is an old thread - how are these for temperature? Cool/warm/marantz hot? 😁

I am also looking at getting one of these as the reviews seem excellent. Any long term usage thoughts especially with very demanding 4Ohm speakers?

Whilst I'd consider the ML ESLs demanding (the minimum impedance of my Spires is 0.8 Ohms, the minimum impedance of the Electromotion ESL X is 1.6 Ohms), the Motion 60XTi is a conventional 4 Ohm dynamic speaker design and not at all demanding. The Primare A30.7 will easily drive your Motions to ear-shattering levels for extended periods, given adequate ventilation.

Whilst I'd consider the ML ESLs demanding (the minimum impedance of my Spires is 0.8 Ohms, the minimum impedance of the Electromotion ESL X is 1.6 Ohms), the Motion 60XTi is a conventional 4 Ohm dynamic speaker design and not at all demanding. The Primare A30.7 will easily drive your Motions to ear-shattering levels for extended periods, given adequate ventilation.
Thanks, while that's mostly correct, the 60Xt will go well below 4ohm on occasion, they are quite heavy on amps. They did send amps into protect mode under my "care" :) My current Anthem MCA20 is driving them excellently but I am looking for a class D to drive the whole bed layer hence my query.

Thanks, while that's mostly correct, the 60Xt will go well below 4ohm on occasion, they are quite heavy on amps. They did send amps into protect mode under my "care" :) My current Anthem MCA20 is driving them excellently but I am looking for a class D to drive the whole bed layer hence my query.
The Primare will be fine, as is your Anthem MCA20. Another Class D option that will work just fine is Rowen (better known here in CH than in UK).

I don't know what you used to have, or whether it had adequate ventilation.

The only thing I am curious about now as to how the Primare will differ in terms of actual sound over the MCA. Will it be cleaner or more clinical etc? Any experience on this?

The only thing I am curious about now as to how the Primare will differ in terms of actual sound over the MCA. Will it be cleaner or more clinical etc? Any experience on this?
The only significant difference in your case is the number of channels, and as a result maximum power output. The Primare A30.7 has 7 of them at 150W, whilst the Anthem MCA 20 has two at 225W, so you need more of the Anthems. Both options will work just fine.

You might feel there is a small difference in audio quality, but if you don't, don't be concerned. At this level, you should not be having issues with power amplifiers not having a clean and accurate performance.

If you were driving ML ESLs, I'd recommend the Anthem MCA 20, as it's better at handling their horribly low purely capacitive impedance. You aren't, so it's not really a factor.

Thanks I am aware of the technicalities, no issues there, what I am after really is some hands on experience in regards to Class D sound characteristics with a similar setup. I do plan to switch to ESL's at some point down the track though and yes that MCA will handle those nicely I am quite sure of that too.

There is nothing positive or negative in terms of sound characteristics of class D compared to any other class, provided it is properly implemented. Amplifiers should not be imparting "sound characteristics" - a properly designed and constructed power amplifier is designed to be "straight wire with gain". If it does - it's faulty or (cheap) rubbish. Primare and Anthem are certainly not the latter.

Can't you arrange to borrow a Primare A30.7 from your dealer on a "keep if like" basis? In the end, it's down to what you feel, not what anybody here may say.

[The biggest improvement to your audio will come when you go ESL.]

BTW, my (ESL) dealer swears by Rowen amplifiers for driving ESLs, since they are highly stable into very low impedances (the quote down to 0.5 Ohms). I've heard them, but they're over my price bracket and frankly, I couldn't hear any difference over what I have. OTOH, I don't play music at disco levels either.

Hmm, I tend to disagree on the fact that they sound the same, I've heard and tested plenty and class D does sound different to my ears. It's much more neutral and detail seems better, absolutely no coloration. For a test, I've ordered one of these: AUDIOPHONICS MPA-M250NC Amplifier Mono Class D NCore 1x250W 4 Ohm - Audiophonics

Will see how it compares, and it if does well for the center channel, I might just get similar monoblocks for all channels with more power.
These will be the ultimate amps for my dedicated cinema building once I get to building it. Hopefully not too far in the future:

And yes I agree these will really shine when I get to switch to ESL. When I demoed the Neolith, my reaction was "better than life" :)

When I demoed the Neolith, my reaction was "better than life" :)
At USD 80,000 a pair, I will (unfortunately) not be placing an order. 😢

Nor, given their minimum impedance of 0.43 ohms, would I be trying to drive them with Audiophonics MPA-M250NC's.

At USD 80,000 a pair, I will (unfortunately) not be placing an order. 😢

Nor, given their minimum impedance of 0.43 ohms, would I be trying to drive them with Audiophonics MPA-M250NC's.
I am testing the Ncore 250 with my ML 50Xt center. IF I like it, will ultimately move to AHB2's, those should drive anything.
As for the Neolith, hmm yeah ultimate speaker, no contest.

Well, as I mentioned earlier, I just got a Hypex monoblock for testing. IT DOES sound different to my Anthem AB design! I am testing it as a center channel unit but I did hook it up to one of the main channels as well. Its super detailed! So its excellent for center duties, voice are super clean and intelligible. However for music, while it is extremely detailed, for example guitar string sound eery real, but it lacks mid range body and while the bass is very nice and fast it lacks authority and slam compared to AB. That said I am confident these "shortcomings" are not present in the top tier Purify design which I will get next. These are my observations after a few days of listening. So far I am convinced, however it is clear that the better top tier models are needed.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom