PrimaLuna Evo 300 Integrated Valve Amplifier Review & Comments

Evinger

Distinguished Member
A beautiful looking (And I am absolutely sure beautiful sounding) piece of kit here. Glad to see that valve amplifiers sill have a place amongst quality Hi-Fi Amplifiers.

But I look at that gorgeous front view, and every time in the back of my mind the words "Bread Bin" pops up! 🤷‍♂️

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
That really is a thing of beauty!

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
A beautiful looking (And I am absolutely sure beautiful sounding) piece of kit here. Glad to see that valve amplifiers sill have a place amongst quality Hi-Fi Amplifiers.

But I look at that gorgeous front view, and every time in the back of my mind the words "Bread Bin" pops up! 🤷‍♂️
I get an electric bar heater vibe.

Bar heater.jpg

However, it's a valve amp so with a bit of imagination it could be this. Ooooh, please.

PointlessEuphoricCarp-size_restricted.gif

ashenfie

It will suck-up all you electricity stopping your EV from charging.

steve sph

That's a lot of money for a pop up toaster.

Reminds me of those Insect-O-Cutor thingumajigs they have in my local chippy to kill flies.
Great review Ed, as ever - never owned a valve amp and only heard one once but from what I can remember it sounded wonderful - probably a 'duh' question, but do you have to replace the valves after a while, and if so how long do they last and what's the cost?

DLxP

Serious question, which I'm afraid may sound a bit snarky, but I'm genuinely interested: why do AVF hi-fi reviews always elicit scores of 8 or above and at the very least a 'recommended' award? Is this an AVF policy (for commercial reasons perhaps) or is it that AVF just seeks out kit that the reviewers know they'll like?

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
or is it that AVF just seeks out kit that the reviewers know they'll like?

This has been covered before but, effectively yes. I have between 60 and 72 review slots in a calendar year. With far more potential review product than that hitting the market, you can rest assured that I screen it for stuff that I think is going to be good. I don't see any point in lavishing time on mediocrity.

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
The Evo 300 takes longer to start and it needs more room around it

So, to be more precise - how much more room is needed? Twice as usual or rather just a little bit more, f.e. 120% comparing to usual?

Gaslight

I have an Evo 400, and there is 15cm of space either side and above in my unit, no issues with anything heating up in excess. The Kitten does enjoy sitting in front of it though, and it does make a good additional radiator in the winter.

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
The Kitten does enjoy sitting in front of it though, and it does make a good additional radiator in the winter.

Well, it seems that you're enjoying even more features than the manufacturer has designed... Thank you for the answer

haltny

Or just save yourself a huge amount of money and buy a Cayin amp. Same awesome build quality, amazing sound quality and half the price or PrimaLuna

musicphil

Still cannot beat a Willsenton R8.... possibly the best amp under £3000.

HeartSleeve

Just an informal comparison for the hell of it, nothing more:

2 x 6L6 power, 6 x12AX7/ECC83 preamp valves. 2 channels, 5 gain stages (!) and the loudest 15 Watts (rated) into 8 Ohms you'll ever hear!!

£539.00 brand new

20210722_072914.jpg

Evinger

Distinguished Member
Aaah! Orange Cabs! And I remember the White Cabs and Amplifiers as well. Still preferred the Sound of a Mesa Boogie Marine Ply 4x12", but that's the Sound Engineer in me speaking!

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
It all depends on a song. Not sure how it works with you, but I have a higher maximum hearing threshold when listening to my favourite tunes. Are you more of a Ibanez fun, Gibson enthusiast, Fender lover, PRS addict or Epiphone loyalist? or something more exotic?

HeartSleeve

That's definitely true, but I'm more conscious about hearing damage than I used to be. Spent way too much on guitars in the past then moved 'em on at a loss to buy the next one. Right now it's another Strat, an Ibanez AM93 semi (howls like a banshee through the MT15) and a Cordoba GK Studio flamenco.
How about yourself?

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung HW-S60A + LG SP8YA soundbar & KEF LS50 Wireless II Reviews: Movie & TV Show News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky Q sports coverage gets live HDR
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 21st July 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Sky and ITV agree long term deal
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Yamaha launches YH-L700A headphone with 3D Sound Field