Pride & Prejudice DVD

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by swarrans, Jul 23, 2002.

1. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I know it's not the ususal Matrix/Harry Potter/Star Wars topic but some of you may like this sort of stuff too!....

I just bought the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice on DVD for the excellent price of £17.99 from CD-Wow (compare with Amazon at £28 plus delivery!!).
    I confess I love this film and was really looking forward to seeing it again because the new Special Edition R1 version was said to be in 2.20:1 format and it had only been on 4:3 on TV....

Well, I still love the film, BUT although it says 2.20:1 on the box as well as CD-Wow's website it's NOT! It's actually in 16:9 which would have been OK except that all they appear to have done is to crop the image into a 1.78:1 format (I compared a 4:3 VHS tape to my DVD and the DVD is definitely missing part of the image from the top and bottom). I guess this must mean that it was only originally shot in 4:3, but I certainly wouldn't have ordered this special version if I'd known.
    This is the first time I've ever come across a widescreen anamorphic release actually displaying LESS of the original image than 4:3 but maybe it's more widespread than I think....

Simon