• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Pride of Britain awards

robfosters

That was quite inspiring. Felt sorry for the little lad who saved his mum from being stabbed and was then slashed across the face.

ed_mcl

Banned
Call me cynical but does anyone else find this award ceremony to be quite insincere and distasteful? I get the impression that they're simply debasing these courageous and brave acts into a simple competition whereby the "winner" is awarded a tacky trophy. I mean, there must be scores of brave and courteous acts carried out every single day in Britain many by whom who do it without the need for celebration on a daily basis, e.g. fire fighters, police officers, life guards and they're judged by a panel of z-list celebs, CEOs, journalists, reality TV stars and gormless cretins like Jamie Redknapp to find an example that they feel is the most deserving of an award! Since when did these people become qualified to decide which incident is more deserving than another?

It seems like it's nothing more than an opportunity for The Daily Mirror and ITV to invite a load of media-hungry celebrities for an evening out under the pretense they're actually celebrating human spirit.

Grrrrr! :D

krish

Distinguished Member
Good points ed_mcl, to me this stuff is pure exploitation of courageous individuals (and kids have no choice in the matter if their folks, persuaded by tabloid reporters, want to get a bit of publicity out of them) as well as the viewer.

I wouldn't regard that as being the view of cynic, just a fact of life about the tabloid press staple of z-list celeb/human-interest stories :boring: :boring:

I didn't watch it, I try to avoid the third channel ... but doesn't the PM usually make a pre-recorded appearance at this sort of thing too?

Iccz

Distinguished Member
I always thought good deeds and such were awarded by mbe's?

But I guess you've got to be a remotely famous sportsperson or similar to get one of them these days.

Dextur

Distinguished Member
Call me cynical but does anyone else find this award ceremony to be quite insincere and distasteful? I get the impression that they're simply debasing these courageous and brave acts into a simple competition whereby the "winner" is awarded a tacky trophy. I mean, there must be scores of brave and courteous acts carried out every single day in Britain many by whom who do it without the need for celebration on a daily basis, e.g. fire fighters, police officers, life guards and they're judged by a panel of z-list celebs, CEOs, journalists, reality TV stars and gormless cretins like Jamie Redknapp to find an example that they feel is the most deserving of an award! Since when did these people become qualified to decide which incident is more deserving than another?

It seems like it's nothing more than an opportunity for The Daily Mirror and ITV to invite a load of media-hungry celebrities for an evening out under the pretense they're actually celebrating human spirit.

Grrrrr! :D

I think ALL of the above is true but at the same time, I think those that win the award and all seem worthy to me seem to appreciate it and if we can do something to show the country that being brave / decent is a positive thing I can let what you say above go and focuss only on the positive.

I just wish they would get a presenter who didn't make some of them feel uncomfortable, the little girl in the wheel chair was obviously nervous and CV just kept asking her more and more stupid questions.

gillette 73

I think ALL of the above is true but at the same time, I think those that win the award and all seem worthy to me seem to appreciate it and if we can do something to show the country that being brave / decent is a positive thing .

Yes we need more positive encouragement for bravery and good deeds.

People are scared to interfere these days..but wow the likes of that little boy really show you up..he did not think twice about jumping in and wrestling a man 2 possibly 3 times bigger and with a knife..

I say they deserve some attention for their actions.:clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom