1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pricing advice..

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by warboy, Oct 20, 2003.

1. warboy

warboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a genuine query not an atempt to extend classifieds...
    I'm selling my 4 month old TW100 because i want to buy an HDCP compliant machine. It is the later 800:1 contrast model. It was brought from japan but epson cover it under their 2yr worldwide warranty. It has no dead pixels, at all!!! (though does have a couple of barely visible dust blobs). It has done 45 hrs, comes boxed with english manual. I also have an LMP mount with twin axis keystone.
    I advertised it yesterday on this site for £1760 with mount, £1700 without - is this a realistic asking price?
    thanks

2. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    The TW200 is already listed at some places. The averagly priced Av-Sales have it at £2000. I'm sure hunting around would beat this price. So you may have missed the boat on off loading your TW100...

I can understand your thinking on HDCP, but what is the hurry?

Power your TW100 through the DVI input from something like a Momitsu/Brainwave V880 or the new Samsung 935 (£177 delivered) and you'll get a really great picture.

The Samsung is supposedly HDCP but I get 720p out of it fine with my LPX500 which is essentially just a tweaked version of your PJ. Looks brilliant.

As you really will lose out by selling your PJ, I'd stick with it another year or two and let HDCP, HDMI and DVI all settle down a bit.

Good luck!

Cheers
    Marc

3. warboy

warboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Marc,
    thanks for your response. you're probably right, i just get over excited when new toys come out!
    So you've connected DVI- DVI with no problems? Can HDCP be attached to software, might you find yourself not being able to play DVD's digitally in the future? can i ask where you got your samsung from?
    thanks again

4. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi,

I had all the same thoughts with my PJ!

Yes I get DVI to DVI no problems from the Samsung. (Lindy 10m DVI cable.)

As I understand it the HDCP is not on the DVDs, it is apparently in the hardware, so if you have HDCP DVD player then you need a HDCP screen.

I think there is an external box that can do decoding for you, not seen it, but heard talk, Aurora rings a bell. But in your case it shouldn't matter.

The PJ only seems to recognise 720p, but that is all I want as it appears to give a 1:1 pixel mapping! (1280x720).

You can get it here:

http://www.digiuk.com/samsung/

£177 delivered. Seems a steal.

There is a handset hack to make it multiregion too. I'm not sure if this is what disables the HDCP (or if they haven't bothered. The manual is a bit vague) as mine came already hacked. All I know is it works and I love it.

Cheers
    Marc

5. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Reading around a bit more on HDCP..

It seems that you can play HDCP material on non HDCP displays if your DVI DVD player doesn't have HDCP.

The V880 (Brainwave/Momitsu/Bravo) all have no HDCP and therefore should be future proof with your non HDCP projector.

The Samsung 935 should be HDCP. It is in the manual, and it states you will see snow appear if you use DVI out and your display cannot take HDCP. It says nothing about this being DVD dependant.

This suggest that the 935 is not outputting HDCP. :)

Which means we should be fine for the future too! Could be the region hack takes out macrovision too (which I believe is a key for HDCP).

I'm sure many DVD players in the future will have HDCP hacks in the same way we have region hacks now.

Cheers
    Marc

6. warboy

warboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Marc, that's really useful and probably the best option.
    Presumably Epson has the same 1:1 mapping as your Yammy?

7. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I believe the LPX500 is a tweaked TW100, less light spill, quieter, tweaking of the settings and a different case. (and about £1200 more list price, got mine here though!)

But it is essentially the same when it comes to the electronics. The panels are identical so yes your native resolution is 1280x720.

Make sure to run the picture mode as 'Thorough' you'll get some overscan on Normal.

In regards to the 935 against the V880. The 935 has better build quality and is available in the UK. The closest you'll find a V880 is Germany, the build quality is poor but it works in all modes not just 720p and is definitely not HDCP.

For some reason the V880 refused to work for me (I know other LPX and TW100 users it does work for) so I got the 935 to test in the hope it worked, and it did!

The V880 did work DVI out to LPX VGA in and looked amazing too. But I already had all the long DVI cables and no VGA ones.

Cheers
    Marc

8. warboy

warboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Marc,
    just ordered a 935 and DVI cable...
    looking forward to trying it out
    thanks for your advice

9. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Good luck mate!

I hope you enjoy it.

I'd be interested ti know if it works before you do the multi-region hack.

I have no idea what the hack is, but I suspect you can find it on here.

Cheers
    Marc

10. warboy

warboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Marc. I've got the hack, I'll give an R2 disc a spin first, assuming it hasn't already been done
    just started reading everyone's horror stories about the player... not so confident now

11. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I saw the horror stories too.

I was lucky that I got to test it first before deciding.

No one else has tested it with the same display we have, and I can assure you from what I've seen it looks great.

I don't think the other thread was using 720p either.

Cheers
    Marc