1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

prices

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by nobackwheel, Nov 25, 2003.

1. nobackwheel

nobackwheel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've been doing my best to work out which camera i like best, but one thing I don't get is the massive range in price for (apparently) similar cameras.

the canon A80 is around £290, whereas the G3 is around £500

both 4 megapixels, G3 has more features and 4x zoom. So does a 1x zoom extra mean it's £200 better??

ok, so feature-wise it's got more than the A80, so compare that to the Olympus C4000 - again 4 megapix and only 3x zoom, but has a lot of the features of the G3, and A80 but is a lot cheaper.

Are the Canon digi cameras that much better than Olympus? Do people pay lots for miniaturisation?

I'm on a tight budget so the C4000 sounds most appealing to me - can someone justify me spending another £250 for the G3?

Steve

2. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the ixus400, i love it. I do look the like of the A80 to. It takes normal pencil batteries, You can change the lence (great at that price) the movie mode is cool. The view screen is cool. Pictures are great.

3. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Also different cameras have different internals, faster lenses, faster shot to shot times, faster save times etc. Its amazing how these things cane raise the price on what appears to be similar cameras.

4. nobackwheel

nobackwheel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It is amazing!!

I suppose it's like anything; the smaller, the 'faster', the quicker it is the more expensive it is.

I'm still not convinced though, especially not spending that much more for a G3!!

has anyone on here got an Oly C4000? if so, what have their experiences of it been? And what size prints have they been able to print to a good quality?

thanks for the replies

5. driver8

driver8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi nobackwheel - if you plan on taking plenty pix, I really cannot overemphasize the feel of the camera - be sure to try before you buy - far more important than an extra x2 zoom or half a megapixel or £20 or whatever.

Oh - and be sure to budget for an extra memory card !