1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prices of big screen plasmas falling - get ready for a price war.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by DFL, Aug 22, 2005.

1. DFL

DFL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Prices of big screen plasmas falling - get ready for a price war.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/20/t...25201600&en=d58a18999dba42b3&ei=5070&emc=eta1

I recently told my best friend I was planning on getting a 42" flat panel. With a 2 y.o and a 6 month old, a new mortgage, a loving & caring wife, he was shocked at my extravagance. So his wife sent me this article from the NY times. I know its been discussed already that Panny prices are due to drop in August. This sort of puts some meat on the discussion, esp. if non-av-die-hards like the NY times is willing to run a story.

So - will you stay or will you go? I'm going to wait (my birthday is in October, so maybe not too long... ;) )

2. kamaran

kamaran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Great article, thanks for that.

Like most technology, prices seem to keep falling and spec increasing which is always good news for the consumer.

Personally I have just moved into a new house and was also thinking of going for a plasma for our first 'real' TV. I am holding out to see the new Pioneer 436 range but as I have literally no A/V equipment, the thought of spending around £3500 for an entire setup seems infeasible at the moment.

Most people I tell I am going for a plasma seem baffled when I say I intend to spend around 2K on a screen alone. With the tumbling prices of SD panels they think a top of the range 42" screen can be had for under £1500.

I am not sure whether to wait until Autumn when the new panels are released, New Years for the price promotions or even Spring 2006 to when HD content is actually available and the HD market should be fiercely competitive!

The only thing I am certain of, is my current 14" Portable Sony CRT is going to get a lot of use for the near future :)

3. Singexpat

Singexpat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Further evidence of the downward trend in prices is the list price of the newly released Pannies here in Singapore. The 42PV500 has just been launched here this week with an RRP of S$5999 (GBP1950) and is already selling for under GBP1800.

The 42PA50 has also been released this week and is already selling for less than GBP1400 here - less than the old Vieras were ever reduced to.

4. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    crunch time in the UK will probably come with the launch of Sky HD. That should drive up demand, see some intense competition, and lots of promotions.

Given the lack of availability of HD material at present, it seems much more sensible to wait until the new year when HD ready sets will be commonplace, cheaper, and no doubt better.

Trouble is, I am looking for a new TV now....

5. peterakastorm

peterakastorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When will the pricedrop happen?

6. kamaran

kamaran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Welcome to the dilemna :( :)

7. kamaran

kamaran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    8:29pm tonight

8. peterakastorm

peterakastorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice ;)

No seriously... is it gonna happen continuously or is it gonna happen in "one drop", and when ;)

9. DFL

DFL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Kamaran, don't be mean, I heard it was going to be 8:28. You just want to get to the shops a minute earlier... :D

10. kamaran

kamaran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Personally I think prices will stay at a premium until HD actually launches fully. Next summer will probably be when prices start becoming 'feasible' to Joe Public. Although judging from the vast array of plasma displays available at every Dixons/Comet/Currys I go to - you would think that CRT is the niche market.