1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prices beginning to tumble

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Faust, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    As predicted at Christmas, flat panel LCD's are now beginning to fall markedly in price. I was passing my local Euronics Centre today, and the Philips 32PF9956 is now down to £1500 with 12 months interest free credit. Similarly they are also doing the Sony KLV-L32M1 for the same money and same deal. The dealer reckons they will be down to around £1100 by Christmas. Not sure if this is wishful thinking or fact, only time will tell. Still these prices are not to be sniffed at.

:clap:

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi,

The 9956 is a bit of an oddball version of the 9976. These have always been around the £1400-£1500 mark. The 9986 came down to around £1850 or so for a short time, but has now returned to the £2000+ mark, the same as it was last December. The Sony you mentioned has always been around the £1500 bracket as this is the downmarket model from the, still very expensive for what it is, MRX-1.

The prices of the Philips sets will probably reduce slightly shortly before they are superceded by the new 'Clear' LCD TV's due later in the year.......and on it goes...

Jimmy

3. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Oops pardon my typographical error jimsan that should have read 9986 not 56, it's the one I had on test with the ambi light. What's this other "Clear LCD " you mentioned. Don't know if I have got the Sony model number right now I come to think of it, it did have a Wega Engine sticker on it though.

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you can get a 32PF9986 at £1500 then go and grab it with both hands and run like hell!

Both the M1 and the MRX-1 have Wega engines...

Jimmy

5. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I have to say Jimmy that I was taken aback by the price, I'm sure that it must have been labelled up wrong, perhaps they have got it mixed up with the cheaper 56 model. However, it did have the price attached to it and if my memory serves me right they would have to sell it to me at the label price, even if they have cocked up big time. I've gone all hot just thinking about this now. As a matter of interest, just how inferior is the 56 when going head to head with the 86?

6. KennyMo

KennyMo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    juding by many people and magazine reviews, the 9986 is much better.

and it's a steal at £1500!

can you remember what the sony one looked like? did it have a curved top? or was it a floating design?

also which euronics centre was this?

7. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I wish the Philips wasn't so darn massive. most 37" tellies are the same size as the 32" 9986.

8. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    No they would not.
    Despite the price label, it would be you who makes the offer to buy, and the shop can decline your offer.

9. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    As far as I am aware, if a shop misrepresents a product, in this case the ticket price of goods, then the proprietor cannot charge for the goods at a higher price than the ticket price currently displayed. As regards the Sony, it was the cheaper one i.e. the one with the curved top.

10. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    No this is basic contract law, and revolves around the offer/acceptance principle.

It is termed "an invitation to treat" and is not an offer to sell.
    Essentially the shop is inviting you to make an offer for the goods [based on the suggested price displayed]. You then make the offer and the shop can refuse it so there is no contract to sell

Misrepresentation is a different thing, and it must be proved that the shop intentionally displayed the wrong price, as opposed to an mistake. You still can't force the sale, but the shop could be prosecuted under crinimal law

11. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Despite what Woody is saying, you've got to give ot a go!

The 9956 is really rare as the connections are a bit odd. I've just read the Philips product sheet and I can't remember what the problem is...it says it has an HDMI conection (excellent) and 3 scarts (OK), SVHS (strange but OK) Photo card readers MPS player....actually, it all sounds splendid! Check it out Faust....go and wave £££ at them...
    Jimmy

12. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Shop not open Sunday, and I'm away on business until Wednesday, however, I am tempted to call in when I get back. I have to say that there seems to be a bewildering number of Philips LCD tv's on the market, how the public is supposed to get their heads around the different models I'll never know e.g. Currys are doing the Philips 32PF9976 for £1549 how does this differ from the 86 and the 56? Must be a salesman's idea of heaven being able to dupe the unwitting innocents.

13. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I must get my eyes tested, I have just noticed that the 76 is a Plasma not LCD, I should know not to trust Currys search engine.

14. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    No, Faust, the 9976 is an LCD! It is a very close relative to the 9986 and has been quite heavily discussed on this forum. It is a super TV with much more subtle styling than its big brother.

Only differences, apart from the chassis, are that it has no Ambilight (boo) runs with PP1 intead of PP2 (boo) and only has one terrestrial tuner (the 9986 has two).

With good sources it performs nearly on a par with the 9986 and certaily every bit as good as the good Sharps and Tosh's. Not as clever with PC feeds though. It is also fully ready for Sky's HDTV stuff next year.

The 9976 and the 9956 are virtually identical except that the 56 has an HDMI connection and the 76 has DVI. That's it for the 32", just the 56, the 76 and the 86.

Jimmy

15. KennyMo

KennyMo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this is one confusing thread!

16. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Not any more confusing than any other....can I help confuse you with anything Kenny?

Jimmy

17. KennyMo

KennyMo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

hehehe!

it's just the fact that faust said it was the "9956" to begin with, then it was "9986". the sony one which was the "klvl321" or was it the "mrx1"?
    now the "9976" is a plasma screen?

all these numbers have my fingers tied in knots! i never was good at maths ;)

18. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Who am I, for that matter who are you? will someone please sit me back down in my high back leather green chair, has anyone chewed my food for me yet. Seriously though, the Philips range is somewhat confusing, hence my confusion. Just to add further confusion to this thread, I have just spotted the article on the Philips 32PF7520D due in the autumn. This could possibly be the perfect solution - well it could for me. On a slightly different tack, and this is one for Jimmy - just how good is the speaker system on the Philips, as I would not like my 5.1 system to become redundant.

:rolleyes:

19. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The speaker system on the 9986 is OK, but certainly not good enough to justify giving your 5.1 its P45. The Audio on the 9986 is perfectly respectable, but there are better. We are quite happy to watch the bulk of our programming using the TV's speakers and firing up the Cinema System for movies, ER, and one or two others.

It is important to tune the sound system to get the best from it, however, as the internal Subwoofer is next to useless...

...and Faust, stop confusing Kenny...I thought it was me, but it's definitely you.

And to avoid further confusion, the 32PF7520D (Digital) would seem to be a bit of a re-hash of old technology resulting in a TV no better than those that currently exist.....it just happens to have an in-built Digital Tuner....now if you want to take a major step forward, the 9380 range is where the Philips Techies have been concentrating....motorized stand, intelligent backlight scanning, even faster Pixel Response....oh my..... Sorry Kenny, more numbers! 99869976005675209389zzzzzz...

Jimmy

20. Camillo

Camillo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well, as long as you don't kill Kenny, I suppose it's OK.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :devil:

21. KennyMo

KennyMo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

i'm glad this has been sorted out now. :)

so do you work for one of the home entertainment magazines jimmy?

you seem to know your stuff.

22. mickbarlow

mickbarlow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    i wasnt aware you had to know anything to work for any of home entertainment magazines?

;)

23. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Oh how could you... :rotfl:

24. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I really don't know that much, so I probably could get a job with one of the mags.....

Jimmy

25. SquidMan

SquidMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd say the mag guys have to have one up on the guys at the SONY centre I went to yesterday.... I walk in, glowing with the knowledge that I can now tell my composite input from my RGB scart, there are two fellas in the shop, one obviously the salesman, the other the techie guy... I asked if the TV I was interested in was PAL progressive compatible... this resulted in a few worried looks, then some typing and looking at a monitor resulted in the answer 'no'... was it HDTV compatible? I asked... moving forward to look at the fountain of knowledge they were getting their responses from... er... it was the SONY website *sigh* At least I know that I could work in a SONY store now, I can see the ad now 'Browser experience essential!'

:p

Sq

PS BTW, it shames me to admit Jimmy... my girlfriend was rather taken by the silver, not the black LCD TV model!

26. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I am now going to throw a further spanner in the works. As I think that the next few months should throw up even better LCD panels than the excellent ones already available, we have decided (well she who must be obeyed has) that we should wait a bit longer before we take the plunge for the Lounge. However, she says, what about upgrading the t.v. for my sewing room. My wallet was feeling nervous at this point, but she was having none of it and smartly marched me off to the shops. After having looked at many of the smaller screens on offer we both latched onto the 27" Thomson - model 27LCDB03B. I have to admit that of all the screens I have looked at, with the exception of the Philips Ambilight, this Thomson was the prettiest I have seen. Add to that the PQ was second to none. Done a quick review check and this model has been checked out by most of the mags and gets a 5 star rating from every review. Only downside I can see is that there is only one scart. However, for £900 this has to be great value. Anyone got anything to add on this model?