1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pricejapan

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by tahirti3, Mar 19, 2003.

1. tahirti3

tahirti3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone bought a projector from pricejapan recently?what happens about customs and excise?am thinking about the sharp xv-z10000.

2. lovingdvd

lovingdvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Yes, I am also interested in purchasing from PriceJapan. But before doing so I'd like to get feedback from forum members on whether they'd recommend this company or not.

In particular I'd like to hear about whether your items arrived brand new and in perfect working order, whether they shipped in a timely manner, whether they offer timely responses to questions.

Most importantly - I'd like to know how well they do with handling problems when they come up. Are they very helpful in getting it resolved? Some companies tend to run away or get a poor attitude when things go wrong - it would be nice to hear if they instead are actually quite helpful and work with you instead of against you. Thanks.

3. Thrash

Thrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had excellent service from PriceJapan. If I remember correctly I ordered my projector on the Monday and it was delivered on the Thursday.

It arrived well wrapped, brand new and in perfect condition. There were no faults with it at all and it worked perfectly.

I bought it in November last year and have had no other charges other than the purchase price.

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the general consensus is that PJ.com cannot be faulted, in any way whatsoever.

Use the search facility here for others' experiences.

Basically, excellent:
    prices,
    service,
    delivery times,
    communications,

etc, etc, etc,

5. Teleport

Teleport

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm also thinking of ordering my first projector (Sharp VX-Z90) from Pricejapan.com.

I'm purely doing this for cost reasons (depending on the current exchange rate when I order it it will cost me between £1000-£1200)

However, I'd really like to know how I avoid VAT. I've heard some people have not had to pay VAT, while some have had a bill 2 months later.

I've also heard that if you get it classed as a computer peripheral you can import it VAT free.

Any feedback people have on dealing with DHL and customs and excise regarding extra charges would be greatfully recieved.

6. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    PriceJapan are certainly excellent, even beating many UK companies on delivery times. I ordered 2 x Yamaha LPX500 projectors from them a couple of weeks back and both arrived fantastically well pacakged (as one parcel - see pic below)

[​IMG]

There was also a cardboard outer around these two individual boxes - superb :smashin:

Unfortunately one of the two had a couple of faulty pixels so having paid for the ship back option it was collected by DHL and arrived back in japan within 24 hours, though sat in customs for 4 days. A replacement was then sent out by PJ within 24 hours and is arriving today. cannot fault this company. They respond to e-mails very very quickly, are very helpful anf totally reliable. And this is in addition to some of the best prices available - anywhere in the world.

As to vat and duty. VAT is ALWAYS charged (assuming DHL do not forget to invoice) so there is absolutely no way around that irrespective of the package classification. What you may get away with is duty (14%). Computer display devices are zero rated (for duty NOT vat) so if it is not marked (on paperwork or box - which will most likely be in Jpanaese :) ) as a home cinema projector then you mayindeed not have to pay duty (14%). But as stated, you will ALWAYS be charged vat unless DHL forget to invoice. And when they do it will be some time after the delivery so put someting to one side just in case.

HTH.

7. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are two taxes at work when you import something :- VAT and Import Duty.

The only way to avoid VAT is - Luck ;)

For importing flat panel projection devices (LCD, DLP etc) the import duty rate is 0% so you shouldn't have to pay any duty, although some people have had to fight it out with DHL when their purchase has been mis-classified.

Gah, beaten to it ;)

-- Jon

8. Teleport

Teleport

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys.

That has helped out a lot.

I'll have to make sure I factor in VAT aswell as order on a day when the exchange rate is favorable.

Did you guys pay via paypal and or wait for good exchange rates?

Cheers

9. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I paid via paypal using Japanese Yen. saved £200 compared to using USD.

10. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just interested to find out what sort of money you can save on UK prices buying from these guys?

11. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    LPX500 - UK RRP £4800
    LPX500 - Pricejapan £2200 + vat

TW100 - UK Street £2400
    TW100 - PriceJapan £1560 + vat