PriceJapan really to much

H

Harb

Well I have seen some efficient bussinesses in my time, but the combo of DHL and PriceJapan reaaly take the Cake.

I finally drove my AE-300 down to Sydney (I don't trust the local freight company's) to drop it in at DHL on monday, here I am sitting in front of my computer watching the New replacement unit comming back to me at a bit Past 2pm Wed.

I couldn't do that sort of return to thr next town in my state.....
Good work Kaneda, DHL and Japanese customs, you guys have renewed my faith in shopping Globally.

I will continue to recomend Importing from these guy's

Happy John:) :D

Hey John,

I've been looking at them for the Sony HS10
I assumed you got charged the 10% GST, but did DHL add any extra charges on top of this?
Just wondering so I can get a good idea of what the total price is that I would be looking at

Thanks,
Richard

Hi Richard,

No DHL did not charge anything extra at all.....
I paid the amount that Kaneda quoted, into his citibank account in Sydney........
A couple of days latter DHL rang me and said that the projector had arrived in Sydney , and wondered if I would give them authority to pay the GST (10%).
I said yes then they charged my credit card for that amount
( I guess you could pay other ways..ie transfer etc), and the projector was then ready for delivery to me(although I did end up picking it up from the DHL office my self, as I didn't want it bouncing around in the back of one of my local delivery trucks )

Really the most painless exercise I have ever been involved with, regarding major purchases.....
Will be doing it again for sure.

John

hi
yes i must say they are the best i have ever delt with 3 days to the U.K i would deal with them again for sure it was a pleasure
restored my faith in online dealing
simon

Hi, I've just moved to Sydney with my travelling partner. If any of you do buy the HS10 and would be kind enough to give me a demo of your projector, I would be most grateful. I could always bring some refreshments and the selection of r2/4 dvd's that I brought with me.
Thanks
Dean.

Harb,

So you'll probably never know what happened to the
projector ? (PJ simply replaced it?)

['bout to order an AE300 today]

You can pick up 240 - 115V converters for about $80 if you hunt around. Curiosity's gotton the better of me as I'm an electrical engineer ... I find it amazing that the powersupply would have a generic fault --

Did I read that you had actually tried a new bulb in it ?
(These high-pressure bulbs are simply black-magic for what they do, no wonder they blow up all the time :) {on a side note -- My car has 150W UHP globes in it... and they don't blow up :) }

Dean,

I've got the HS1 setup - if you want to come around watch it and then buy it off me, so I have enough cash to get an HS10 then let me know ;)

Richard

G'day Snocrash,

Yup, I did try a new Lamp.......no luck
The Flashing Red Leds still indicated a Lamp Circuit Fault.

I am Also in the Trade (Broadcast Engineer) and I hope the Voltage thing is not an issue as well.........but Until the warranty runs out and I can remove the covers, I'll be running mine on 100v to be on the safe side.

Cheers
John

Guys, you don't need 220->110v convertors with the AE300 from Japan. It works just fine with 220v - I use one in New Zealand without any problem. These projectors are apparently marked as 110v only to discourage export...

Richard,
Thanks for the offer ;)
Seriously, if you do get the HS10, I'd love to have a look. I saw the HS1 last year when I was travelling in New Zealand, and although it was quite impressive, I'm sure that like me, you feel that things have moved on a bit since.
I went to the Sony store at Fox studios a couple of weeks ago and they had closed the home theatre floor. It was open last year when I was visiting. Do you know if this closure is permanent?
Good luck with the sale! Try ebay, you never know your luck.

Regards,

Dean.

Dean,

The Sony shop in Chatswood still has its Home Cinema floor open, but haven't seen the HS10 set up in there yet.
The do have it in stock though as I saw it unwrapped on the shelf just begging me to buy it.
Now I just need to save up the pennies again

Xander,

Many people have experienced a range of problems with the AE100 and now the AE300. It just so happens that it is mainly in AU and UK -- My observation is that hardly anyone in the U.S. is experiencing the same sort of failure rates.

To be honest, I'm simply shocked that Harb's AE300 just packed it in -- and until someone proves that the powersupply is rated for a universal voltage feed, I don't reckon it's worth the hassle of risking it...

Often, manufacturers will build a universal supply, but in a country where the supply has only been approved (for say 100V), they'll skimp on certain componentry within the powersupply... So under a 240V situation, it probably works but it borderline. This may, or may not be the case with the panny's

Richard,
Thanks for the update.
I don't know, these stores putting items on their shelves, it's just plain torture! I'll try and pop over there soon.
Thanks again,
Dean.

Another interesting thing would be to have someone with a NZ/UK/AU AE300 take a hi-rez dig. photo of the powersupply pcb and then we could compare it to the Japanese model to see if there was any glaring differences.

As soon as Panasonic have Workshop Manuals available in AU, I will order one and have a look at component tollerances compared to what is inside the JP version.......
This maybe a wild goose chase but with both mike and myself having failures, it is worth chasing up.

John

That's odd that Panasonic don't have the workshop manual yet.
We've been selling the AE300's since Christmas for $4650 -- pretty stupid if they're bringing the projectors in and no workshop manuals are available yet.

By the way, if anyone wants to know... the Aussie AE300 has DVI connector (same as JP)

That's not a bad price. George's in Sydney are asking for $4500 for the PTae100.n And Harvey Norman are doing a deal with the projector and a pull-down screen for $5k.

Dean.

>>Can you secretly open the AE300 without breaking a seal ?

Yes, you can. I returned my AE300 to Japan on Dec 14 due to horizontal red lines betw the pixels on one side of the screen. Before I sent it back, I opened it to see whether there was anything obvious that might be adjustable. My replacement unit is arriving today (fingers crossed).

ps. I also had the dead PSU problem with my previous AE100 in NZ (was a NZ model).

There's a prismatic chrystal device that sits in front of the LCD's which may have gotton out of allignment with your (xander) AE300 --

So many problems with all these projectors :-( Makes me sad.

Well I returned to Fox Studio's Sony Style store today, and they had the HS10 projecting. Very nice picture. $6499. Probably the best projected image I have seen on LCD for that pricepoint. They also had the VW10 + VW11 reduced to $5k + $6k respectively. They also had about 4 HS1's reduced to $3999. Lovely set up in their home cinemas. Another step closer to purchasing the HS10! Damn!!

Dean.

So many problems with all these projectors :-( Makes me sad.

I read these forums religiously, the only issues I've heard about are with the sharp m20x and the AE100.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom