PRICE RISES! Sony KDL40W2000U

B

BigEgo

I've been watching the Sony KDL40W2000U very closely, on dealpond.co.uk, pricerunner.co.uk, stockchecker.co.uk etc, and was acutely aware that the best deal was at empiredirect.co.uk for 1249, a full 100 under the dixons and comet online prices. I also found it at 121electrical for 1279, as well as a few other smaller retailers for similar prices.

However, as noted in my previous post, there seems to be stock shortages, and today I've just seen a 100 price rise at empiredirect and a few others! From today, Empire now list it at 1349 as do 121electrical. I can't quite believe that a price would rise in such a competitive market where prices are constantly driven down by new models.

So this must be either a side effect of stock shortages, or perhaps a realisation that the latest production run from Sony is higher quality, addressing the clouding issue at last, so no need to punish the price... ( Just a guess! :) )

Any thoughts before I buy? The current best deal from a 'well known retailer' seems to be with Currys using voucher YAW690 taking the price from 1349 to 1281 at the checkout...

Regards
BigEgo

TheOriginalGuru

Novice Member
I am seriously considering getting this television. I've seen it in action, and I think it's ace! Even at £1,349 it's still a good deal. If you can get it cheaper than that, I say you should go for it.

mark1000

Distinguished Member
I've been watching the Sony KDL40W2000U very closely, on dealpond.co.uk, pricerunner.co.uk, stockchecker.co.uk etc, and was acutely aware that the best deal was at empiredirect.co.uk for 1249, a full 100 under the dixons and comet online prices. I also found it at 121electrical for 1279, as well as a few other smaller retailers for similar prices.

However, as noted in my previous post, there seems to be stock shortages, and today I've just seen a 100 price rise at empiredirect and a few others! From today, Empire now list it at 1349 as do 121electrical. I can't quite believe that a price would rise in such a competitive market where prices are constantly driven down by new models.

So this must be either a side effect of stock shortages, or perhaps a realisation that the latest production run from Sony is higher quality, addressing the clouding issue at last, so no need to punish the price... ( Just a guess! :) )

Any thoughts before I buy? The current best deal from a 'well known retailer' seems to be with Currys using voucher YAW690 taking the price from 1349 to 1281 at the checkout...

Regards
BigEgo
Hi, i'd buy for the extra £100 if Sony sorted the clouding, maybe thats why the stock has become in short supply.

Mark.

C

ConcDG

I was looking at the 40S2530 and over a couple of days it went up by around £200 :mad:
Now it's seems to be coming down again :thumbsup:

Apollo11

I am seriously considering getting this television. I've seen it in action, and I think it's ace! Even at £1,349 it's still a good deal. If you can get it cheaper than that, I say you should go for it.

I'd look at the Tosh 42X3030db, bigger, and hopefully better!

stormy

Where did you hear about the clouding issues being sorted out?
Well they were not sorted on the one I saw in Dixons Digital at the weekend, the HD demo picture was fantastic until dark scenes, then it was cloud city.....

Mike

T

tom528

Would be nice if the clouding issue was truly resolved and confirmed.

I’m one of the lucky ones with no clouding issues and I have to say. The TV is top class!

B

BigEgo

Tom,
Whats the build date on the sticker on the back of your set? There seem to be a few good posts about no clouding on this set from people with quite recent 2007+ build dates...

Cheers
BigEgo

teknokat

Novice Member
Mines an 02/2007 build bought from Empire Direct and virtually zero clouding if any at all even with the backlight cranked up during the night, though i've read some posts on the w2000 thread that says people have the same build as me but have clouding. I guess it's a lottery and if your lucky the picture is amazing day & night but if your one of the unfortunate ones then it will probably annoy you to death on a night as it would me.

On the subject of the price rise Empire Direct had mine at £1249 when I checked online at lunchtime the day I bought it, I checked again before I left work that day and it had gone upto £1299 and by the time I got home to order it, it had gone upto £1349. I wasn't best pleased but i've got over it now and even at £1349 it's the best LCD picture i've seen.

peteTV

Standard Member

Regards
BigEgo
digitaldirect have it listed at £1255 with limited stocks, plus postage dependant on your postcode

Webster07

Standard Member
Well I bought this TV about 3 weeks ago now from John Lewis, its a 02/2007 build and I am 100% happy with it. I first pricematched Hifi Confidential at £1316, and then two weeks ago I saw it in JL Trafford for £1249 + Free Sony RDR-HXD560 Dvd recorder!

So I spoke to undersales and they credited me £65 and the Dvd recorder is coming soon. No idea if this deal is still on however, I heard they may have put the price up to full.

I would guess that maybe prices were lowered to compete with the new samsungs but maybe stores have realised this was not necessary?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom