1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Price of a second hand Tag PA20R

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by dougan, May 11, 2005.

1. dougan

dougan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have been sent a PA20r pre-amp to compare against my PA10.
    I have not had time for a serious listen, but the brief listen I have had sounds promising.

Two questions, what do you think the main differences would be between them? And what would be a fair price to pay for the PA20, it has the original box and packaging, manual etc, and is in very nice condition.

Cheers

Dougan

2. Inotrope

Inotrope

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I sold mine for £400, which both parties considered a fair price. They are fantastic amps.

3. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The major functional differences (afaik) are:

The PA10 has an MM/MC input, whereas the PA20r does not.
    The PA20r is remote-controlled.
    The PA20r has three recording loops (I think the PA10 has one?)
    The PA20r has a very, very useful gain selector (why isn't this feature available on more amps, it's a godsend!).

As for sound quality, having not heard a PA10 I can't really comment. All I will say is that a year on I'm still thoroughly enjoying my PA20r and think the extra cost (PA10 circa £300 PA20r circa £450) over the 10 is worth it for the additional features alone.

Having said that, the DPA32r is even more flexible and has added DAC & DAB functionality. I might be tempted down that road at some point because they're useful things to have.

DT

4. Inotrope

Inotrope

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I can vouch for the superiority of the DPA32R, as this is what I upgraded to from the PA20R/DAC20. If you can find one that is! (I have two!! ;-)

5. dougan

dougan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for your input guys!

After listening to both pre-amps, I cannot believe the difference between the two.

I found the PA20 revealed so much more detail and seperation than the PA10.

Needless to say I have kept the PA20!

Dougan

6. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Oh, and the PA20r has balanced outputs too, which might be useful if you intend to monobloc (with some 125M's, for example) in future.

Welcome to the PA20r club, Dougan! We are a dying breed.........

Which leads me to remind Mark that I still have one eye on a DPA, so stop being greedy and offer me one of yours at a suitable discount - I know how much you paid for them!!

DT

7. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to disappoint anyone, the PA20R does not have a balanced XLR connection. It was available early on but due to lack of interest from you customers, it was withdrawn.

The XLR sockets are still there on some units but the transformers required are no longer manufactured.

I believe there is one genuine XLR PA20R out there that was a demonstration/ press model.

If you want to know more about the PA10/ PA20R differences remember that the PA10 was loosely based on the Audiolab 8000C and the PA20R was loosely based on the Audiolab 8000Q.

Sound quality wise, I wouldnt kick either out of bed if the price was right....

8. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Rover,

So the XLR sockets on my PA20r are completely useless and won't work if I attach anything to them (I've never tried connecting them up)?

I asked the dealer before purchasing the unit if this particular unit had XLR outputs and he confirmed they did.

Am I right in understanding that ALL PA20r's came with the XLR sockets fitted, but without the transformer coupling (which was fitted by the dealer on request)?

If so:

1) I'm pretty ******-off with my dealer (Lintone, surprise :rolleyes: ) because he neglected to inform me that the XLR's wouldn't work without the now-discontinued upgrade.

2) Why did TMA provide the PA20r with XLR sockets pre-installed? They should have anticipated the confusion it would cause down the line. How is anyone supposed to check if they work or not without the appropriate equipment :mad:

DT

9. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The XLR option was discontinued some 6 years ago at least.

Units manufactured before the option was discontinued would have had sockets already fitted, later units would have had blanking plates fitted.

As in my previous post, I know of only one PA20R with actual working XLR sockets with the correct transformers.

TMA did nothing wrong, just simply discontinued an option due to lack of interest.