1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Price Match problem - John Lewis

Discussion in 'TVs' started by cupcake, Sep 22, 2003.

1. cupcake

cupcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My first post here so I hope someone can help.

I asked JL to price match a Sony 32 inch TV. Received a message with a reference number a couple of days later to say that they had agreed to the price match. When I called them back (Audio and Visual Telesales) they also informed me that if I were to buy the TV I would receive a free DVD player. I double checked that this was the case a number of times in that conversation. Called them back to order the TV on sataurday and was told that I would not get the DVD player. I was told that the price that they matched did not include a DVD player. Now the offer clearly states that if you buy that TV you receive the DVD player for free. It is not being sold as a package. I strongly feel that they should honour the free DVD player

Also, should JL include free delivery in a price match? They would only match the other price inclusive of the delivery which was £20 extra.... ??

Any help would me much appreciated.

2. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    John Lewis match like-for-like. Did you tell the AV telesales people that you had a price-match when they said that they'd give you a DVD player? Did the TV you were price-matching against come with a DVD player? If they were aware of the price match when they told you that you would get a free DVD player, then they probably cocked up and you could probably get the DVD thrown in if you kick up enough of a stink. Otherwise, they're under no obligation to sell it to you.

If they price-matched against a TV+delivery, then they will give you a TV+delivery for that price.

The price match is just that - like-for-like. Except you get the JL 5-year guarantee and (generally) good customer service.

Cheers,
    Liam

3. cupcake

cupcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Liam,

My point is that JL are not selling the TV with the DVD as a package. They are saying that if you purchase that TV, you will receive a "free DVD player." This is the key point in my view.

The number that I was asked to call was the number for AV telesales. They then informed me that the price match had been agreed. We then spent a good 15 mins discussing the options, as they also offered a discount off a home cinema system with the TV, or the free DVD option. When I called back on saturday, I spoke to somebody else who had no idea about the original pricematch, even though I gave the same reference number. They had no idea about the promotion, or any record of my long winded conversation with the colleague on the thursday. I called the shop floor, and was told the same thing re DVD player ie not free and no record of pricematch. Customer services were eventually able to confirm the price match for the TV only, and have said that they will look at the DVD issue.

I did a search on this forum over the weekend and one poster did say that he/she got a JL price match from techtronics on a TXPS1, 5 year gaurantee, + "a Panasonic Freeview Box, honouring their promotion without argument."

To summarise, they are offering the DVD player for free, not as a package. I don't see how they can put a value on a free item........

Many thanks again

4. cupcake

cupcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update - JL have agreed to throw the DVD player into the deal. AV telesales told me that the free DVD player had nothing to do with the undersale, and that it was a seperate promotion.

cheers

5. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Glad you got your DVD player thrown in. If you dealt with people on a Saturday and a Thursday then either or both could be part-timers. Whatever it was, it sounds like they cocked up and at least they've honoured what the original person said (eventually).

Cheers,
    Liam

6. pclarke

pclarke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

What Sony tv did you get the free DVD player with? Thanks in advance.

Pclarke

7. cupcake

cupcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    KV32FX68S - price matched with totaldigital.biz - £735 including delivery.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Dave M

8. whitcat

whitcat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you need any special browser settings to get to the totaldigital website? I've never (in the last few weeks) been able to access it (using IE5 at home).

Total-digital.biz works, but that is an alias for digital-point.co.uk.

Thanks,

James

9. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well done on your price match, mind you I guess that JL would honour the agreement.

I've had no such luck with Currys. In the first store they were so rude to me, I didn't go back. The second store confirmed it only to tell me that the price match had to be within a ten mile radius and that this was 11.4 miles... which it might be if you follow the roads, but that ain't a frickin' radius is it!! Besides bickering over a few tenths of a mile kinda misses the point IMO.

Anyway, I gave up and ordered my Tosh 36ZD26P from RGB for £600 less! I'm feeling quite pleased with myself. :clown:

10. duncs

duncs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SansSouci - That reminds me of a run in I had with Comet last year

I went in to buy my bro a PS2 for x-mas and on the spur of the moment thought I would buy a widescreen TV. I selected a sony (can't remember which one but it cost £800). The PS2 cost about £200 and came bundled with 3 games. They got the TV from the stock Room and had it on the trolley waiting to go in my car while I sorted out the payment and the PS2.

They were looking for the games that came bundled and told me that one of them was not in stock. So I politely asked if I could have another game instead. They then told me that they would check if there were any other stores that had it in stock. After 20 mins they told me that there were no others in stock in My area but they had managed to find the game in a store 30 miles away. They would order this and I could have it with in a week.

As this was a couple of days before x-mas, I told them that was unacceptable for me and again asked if I could have a different game. They refused saying that Sony stipulated the bundle and would not allow swaps. I reminded them that I was spending £1k on Sony equiptment in their shop and I wanted to speak to the manager. He was as unhelpful as the assisant.

As a final request I told them that if they were not prepared to swap the game for another, then I would walk. Another refusal and I walked out of the shop leaving them with £1000 of kit sitting at the cash till.

Now, I'm not sure of the mark up that they get on electrical goods but its probably about 30%. And the mark up on games must be 70%. So for the sake of losing £10 profit on a game they lost £250 profit on a TV and some assistant had a smaller x-mas bonus.

Mad I tell you.

11. cupcake

cupcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sancsouci - well done to you too mate. Just shows what an extra bit of research can save.

Duncs - Where did you get the TV / PS2 from in the end? Was it a blessing in disguise?

Slightly off topic. Have also gone back to JL and ordered the SLV-SE830 VCR (price matched with totaldigital.biz) and the Sony VTX 800U set top box (didn't bother to price match as they are selling for £120 which doesn't seem too bad.) So I'll have these and the DVPNS330 DVD player to go with the FX68. AV telesales asked if I'd got Scart leads (which I haven't), and they thought that I'd need 2 of them at 17 quid each, but they weren't sure. Does this make sense? How many would I need? Shouldn't the appropriate leads come with each piece of equipment? This is the first TV I've bought, so I've got no idea. Any suggestions of a cheap scart lead place would be great.

Sorry to throw in so many questions.

Cheers

12. duncs

duncs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cupcake

I can't remember where I got the PS2 in the end - everyone had similar deals. As far as the TV is concerned, I decided to do some research which brought me here and i'm still looking ;) Trying to justify what I want against what I can afford.

13. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Very rarely do TVs etc. come with leads. I reckon you'll need 4 Scarts in total:

DVD player - TV
    Digibox - TV
    VCR - TV
    Digibox - VCR

If this is your first TV, you may also need aerial cables to go from the wall to your digibox, digibox to VCR, and VCR to TV.

Enjoy your purchases.

14. gillw

gillw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just to confirm this, JL price matched the KV28FX68 and threw in the entry level Sony DVD Player (330?) for me about a month ago. They also did free delivery and a 5 year warranty.

Enjoy your new tele!

15. cupcake

cupcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers t-force,

I've got the aerial bits. Until now I've had an old Ferguson hand me down, so what I should have said was that it's my first major TV purchase.

16. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good on you duncs! I really feel strongly about this sort of thing - companies should realise that it's us doing them the favour by walking into their store rather than someone else's. I find voting with my feet quite satisfying. :D

Incidentally, Comet (who also claim to price-match) would not meet a package price on an X-box in Game. I walked out too.

I wonder much I would have saved if I'd shopped around ruthlessly for all my new kitchen whites rather than buying it all from one of these stores...?

17. duncs

duncs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did find it quite satifying:) and i'm sure the rest of the shop did too

18. morettat

morettat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    cupcake,

Out of curiousity, which JL store were you dealing with?

I had a similar problem getting JL Watford to throw in the free Panasonic Freeview box, but I then canceled and went to JL High Wycombe and they did so without debate.

19. cupcake

cupcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Moretatt,

Peter Jones - in London. As was mentioned in the long thread about JL undersales, it seems to depend on which store/individual you get to deal with. There does seem to be quite a bit of inconsistency.

Cheers

20. morettat

morettat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    To be honest, I think the JL stores are becoming a little more commercial than they were. They're also not happy about having to match websites just because they may have a shop somewhere in the country.

JL Watford even said that Techtronics were using the cash subsidy from Panasonic - meant to pay for the Freeview box - to reduce the price of the TV without a box. I said that wasn't an issue for the customer. I contacted JL Head Office and even threatened Watford with Trading Standards but they wouldn't budge.

To be honest I felt a bit hardfaced as I was getting a cheap TV and a free 5 year guarantee. However, like you I thought there was a principle involved.

When I ordered the TV from High Wycombe - who did the same price match - I didn't mention the box until it didn't arrive with the TV. When I phoned to ask them about it they just said they'd send one out - which they did.

From now on I'll be giving my business to High Wycombe as, unusually, I wasn't impressed with the staff who seemed to begrudge the undersale.

Incidentally, I've always found the Peter Jones staff to be the worst JL to deal with in the country. They've always seemed a bit arrogant to me. The Oxford Street staff always seemed better so it's not just a London thing.

21. cupcake

cupcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Morettat said.......

"JL Watford even said that Techtronics were using the cash subsidy from Panasonic - meant to pay for the Freeview box - to reduce the price of the TV without a box. I said that wasn't an issue for the customer."

Funny you say that because at one point Peter Jones were giving me the same sort of lines, when I spoke to one of the guys on the shop floor. He said that totaldigital were doing the same with the free DVD player. I pointed out that this was irrelevant, and that this was my good fortune. In the end it turned out ok when I spoke to AV telesales. The problems seem to occur when you start speaking to different people about the same thing, but those people have different interpretations of company policy. It seemed to be getting a bit hairy at one point. I have now built up a bit of rapport with the lady I am dealing with. I am now awaiting written confirmation for the goods I have ordered. At this time The DVD player and the freeview box our out of stock, so I will take delivery when they have all arrived (they are saying a couple of weeks!!!!). I suppose the potential is still there for things to go wrong.

Apart from the bits of confusion outlined above I have found Peter Jones to be ok on the whole. After all, they did accept both undersales without too much grief. Can't say that it's been totally hassle free though.

Cheers

22. John F

John F
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I have dealt with JL about 10 times (which includes tv's,video's, dvd players & 4 camcorders) my latest was for a Sony camcorder I phoned up at 2pm give them the price and the shop details I asked the lady in undersales if she would phone me back, she did everything was fine at 3pm had the camcorder in my hand. JL are second to none in my book with any price match as long as its a shop. I have price matched about 600 miles from where I live. All I can say is JL in newcastle are the best. If they stock what I want & they give me the same price as the other shop JL will get my business everytime. Cheapest prices with the best guarantees = :smashin: :D in my book everytime.

23. onzey

onzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just in case this is of interest to anyone, I was going to buy a particular 32" TV from JL which they do not stock normally but are willing to get on special order. However this means they will not entertain any price match on it. This is not mentioned in any of their literature as far as I can see.

onzey

24. pclarke

pclarke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello.

Can i add my current experience.....

Although I have (up to now) been very pleased with the service recieved from JL, I currently have a faulty TV in my lounge that was reported at the beginning of September and an exchange was agreed. However, another week has passed and nothing has happened. I have to contact JL each time for an update and was promised a phone call on Tuesday...Nothing though. This is totally unacceptable!!!

If I do not get a response tomorrow I will be contacting JL headoffice....

25. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,055
    How do you go about getting a price match deal, do you ring a store or can you ring the number on the JL website? It seems to suggest you need to speak to a store if the item you want isn't on the website and seeing as there's only about 5 widescreen tvs on the website for some reason I guess I'll have to pick a store to talk to. My nearest is Sheffield so I hope they're ok with doing a price match with totaldigital!

Cheers
    Andy

26. John F

John F
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    zAndy1
    ring your local JL ask to speak to the undersales department give them the details what you are after as long as they stock it 7 the other company have a shop bingo off you go.

27. granville69

granville69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I phoned John Lewis at Bluewater last week asking for a price match a Mimo with TV and Video Direct. They replied about a week later with an e-mail from their undersales dept. saying that the price I quoted £1099 was their internet price and the shop price was £1600 without a stand. I kind of felt a little insulted that they either hadn't done their homework or even worse they were spinning me a yarn.
    Anyway since then I changed my mind on the Mimo and decided a Platinum Aventos was the one for me. This time I phoned 'House of Fraser' with the TV and Video direct price and their phone number. 10 minutes later they phoned back and said that they would do it no problem but only with the 2 year manufacturer warranty. I went in today and purchased an Aventos for £999.99 and for peace of mind extended the warranty to 5 years for £95. It's gonna be delivered next Saturday, I can't wait.

:clap:

28. cupcake

cupcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, today is the big day. JL are delivering the FX68, DVD, set top box and VCR today between 1 and 5pm. I'm extremely excited. I decided to go the whole hog and get them to set the the whole lot up for £35. Had a few problems initially, as they wanted to charge me £65 which I wasn't willing to pay. Sorted it out in the end by holding my ground. I have my new Thor scart leads, so am raring to go. However, I do get the impression that some TV's aren't good'ens. So if I were to get a duff one, what are the major probs that I should look out for? (in laymens terms please!!!!)

I'll be back on here tomorrow to let you all know how JL were with the set up, and what I think of my new tele.

By the way, thanks to all of you for all your advice over the previous weeks.......top class forum!!!

Cheers

29. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Page on this should help monsieurblack.

30. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    yeah

thanks ibrox :) very kind of you.

so from what i can gather they do actually honour the 'free' gift...just not all the time and with out a little 'persuasion' :rolleyes:

thanks for your help...i'll have to give them a call tomorrow...if it gets bad i may even quote the forum here for them to check that other people have in fact got the 'free' item even after a price match too...

wish me luck :cool:

i'll keep you posted
    monsieurblack

for others who are wondering what i'm going on about :eek: Sony KV32FX68 from John Lewis...a 'Thank You' [and some help pls...] :)