1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Price match difficulties

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by amo, Jun 6, 2003.

1. amo

amo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Folks,

My first post - I suspect it won't be my last! ;)

I'm trying to buy the Toshiba 32ZD26P from either John Lewis or Allders, both of whom
    - I trust as reputable high street stores,
    - have a price match policy, and
    - offer free 5 year guarantees

First of all, I quoted Hi-Spek's price of £859.88 to Allders via their Allders.com website. Their response via email was they they do not price match with Internet retailers other than argos.co.uk, comet.co.uk, currys.co.uk, dixons.co.uk, johnlewis.com or tesco.com . Duh! I'm not asking for a price match with an Internet retailer, Hi-Spek are a high street retailer who offer the same prices in their stores as their website. I await Allders.com's response to that. I'll try my local Allders store tomorrow...

John Lewis Southampton didn't have it in stock, but worse, tried to tell me the model has been discontinued! A very nice lady at Toshiba UK told me this model is not due to be replaced until March 2004. I haven't phoned JL Southampton to hear their response... ;)

Next, I called JL Cheadle, who quoted a price of £849 - fantastic! But they don't have it in stock, and the assistant didn't know whether they could order it any more. :confused:

Has anyone managed to get a price match deal on the 32ZD26P from either John Lewis or Allders?

Regards,
    Alan.

2. lemming

lemming
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got JL (Bluewater) to price match a Loewe aconda with tv & Video direct, Bluewater didn't have it in stock but sourced one from their Oxford St branch, so you could ask the southampton branch to have it delivered from another branch if it is in stock there.
    I then got House of Fraser to match John Lewis (which they did) due the store being local and their 5yr guarantee includes accidental damage. :)

3. amo

amo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Woohoo!!!! :clap:

Just received a very nice email from Allders.com, apologising for the fact that they didn't realise that Hi-Spek had high street outlets as well as a website. They have agreed to match Hi-Spek's price (£859.88). Even better, my local Allders have the TV in stock, so I'll be able to spend Saturday afternoon playing with it, before I finally make up my mind to buy.

Huge thank you to Allders.com !

Regards,
    Alan.

4. garygfx

garygfx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Alan, that's good news about Allders. I want the same TV as you and a 5 year guarantee is worth at least £110 (www.domgen.co.uk). My local JL also told me the 32ZD26 had been discontinued because it's been marked as discontinued on their stock sheet.

Allders.com don't have this model on their website, at least I couldn't find it. If you have the URL could you post it here please? I wonder if they'll match £834 from Robertsons? They also have a shop. Thanks for your post, very useful info.

So how's the new TV? Any problems or niggles?

5. amo

amo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    garygfx,

Must admit, I missed a trick there, and didn't ask them to match Robertsons price... :( Go for it, I hope they agree. As it happens, I did contact Robertsons to check that their store price would be the same as the price on their website (£832), which they confirmed, but they had none in stock, and told me they would have to order direct from Toshiba, which would take 2-3 weeks. Hi-Spek had the model in stock, so Allders were happy to price match. Not sure if Allders will match with a dealer with no stock...

By the way, I've had several responses from John Lewis stores about this model. One said it's been discontinued, another said it's just been deleted from their list, and yet another said they could order it for £1295! Thanks, but no thanks... ;)

I ordered mine from allders.com on Sunday after seeing the set in my local store on Saturday (though a Bose plasma set caught my eye for a second before I saw the price tag of £3000 :eek: ). Lucky I did! When I checked the website on Monday morning, it had disappeared from the TV section. Allders have since confirmed that they have accepted my order, but are waiting for Toshiba to replenish their stock, so hopefully it will reappear on the website at that point.

The model in the store wasn't set up very well, but I have a workmate who's a bit of an AV guru (he has an £8000 plasma TV at home :eek: ) who has kindly offered his services.

Cheers,
    Alan.

6. trotter

trotter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I enquired at Allders about a price match and they said that if the pricematched retailer doesn't offer a 5yr guarentee then they won't either. Has anybody else come across this?

7. Tommo24

Tommo24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a common fact. For once I agree that is is reasonable to only pricematch stores offering the same deal. I got my FS76 from House of Fraser. They agreed to pricematch anyone but would only offer a like for like warranty. I opted for the store price with a five year warranty, often worth couple of hundred anyway. Unfotrunately I am currently testing the warranty already!!

I would always buy from John Lewis, HOF or similar store bcause they have a high street reputation to uphold and if things go very wrong you can talk to the manager face-to-face which they never like!

Goodluck

Tom

8. amo

amo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    trotter,

All I can say is that this was not my experience with allders.com; I can't speak about Allders stores. allders.com had no problem matching with Hi-Spek, who only offer a 5-year guarantee with an additional £140 or so.

Tommo24,

It may be "reasonable" for a retailer to only price match with another one offering an equivalent guarantee but, in this case, why should the customer buy from the pricematching retailer? A "price beat" policy (say, by 5%) might be enough to convince the customer to go with the retailer, or perhaps the offer of a free 5-year guarantee might be the deciding factor. But just offering to match the deal from another retailer isn't going to make me shop with them, good reputation or not. But then I'm a difficult customer... ;)

Regards,
    Alan.

9. Tommo24

Tommo24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a little confused because I thought if you were asking for a pricematch then that would suggest to me you wanted to buy from that store? I do see sort of where you are coming from but I wonder where it would stop I suppose if some stores did offer a % price beat option? I have often wondered exactly how much profit the manufacturers and stores make. Anyone got any ideas of mark up?

Regards

Tom

10. amo

amo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now that would be interesting to know, given that I've seen the 32ZD26 on sale for up to £1295, but some stores will go as low as £831 (and presumably still make a profit)...

Looks like I'm in the wrong business! :)

Regards,
    Alan.

11. garygfx

garygfx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Alan,
    Did you originally contact Allders via the feedback form on their website, by regular email, or by phone? I've filled in their website form pointing out the prices from Hi-Spek and Robertsons and hopefully will hear back from them. I forgot to ask about a 5 year guarantee, but will if they reply.

When's the delivery date for your TV?

Thanks for starting this thread. :)
    Gary.

12. amo

amo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gary,

I used their Price Match form:

http://www.allders.com/PriceMatch.go?new=true

Allders expect to receive a new batch of this model into their distribution centre next week, so I would expect delivery the following week (23 June onwards).

Cheers,
    Alan.

13. Peterr_ibg

Peterr_ibg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have heard that some retailers refuse to price match when they claim that the other retailer does not offer the same warranty package.

I do know that in the case of John Lewis they offer 5 year warranty with all their tvs. However, this is advertised as a free warranty and therefore can not be used to argue against a price match. If they did then, by attaching a value to the warranty, it would no longer be 'free'.

It may be worthwhile checking the wording in retailers advertising and arguing the point.

14. jase the space

jase the space
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just tried to get HOF to do a price match on a TV and they have just got back saying that the supplier is now out of stock. So I say OK what about I ring back when they do have stock!

They are saying that this would be fine but then they would require written confirmation from the supplier of cost and availability. Which if these "cheaper" retailers is going to provide such evidence when it means losing business - None of them!

Has anyone had this difficulty before?

My experience with HoF is that I have previously had a TV price matched (but it went back) and there was no issue here. In another store they claimed that it had to be within 25 miles of the store. Now I have checked with the same store I had success with last time around and there are no special conditions but they are now asking for written confirmation from the supplier.

For a national chain this is a tad ridiculous.

Anyone had HoF do a price match recently?

15. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    I've just got John Lewis to price-match www.krishav.co.uk's price of £699 for the Sony KV32FX68. That includes their warranty and free delivery.

Pretty good price for a 32" 100Hz Sony IMO. I had no trouble getting the price matched and had a response to my initial request within 30 minutes.

16. garygfx

garygfx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Radiohead - excellent! What branch of JL was that? After a few weeks when you get the TV, come back to the forum and let me know if you've noticed the faint horizontal lines on the FX68 in bright/white scenes. (I'm not talking about the Trinitron tie marks).

Gary.

17. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    It was JL Reading - I've demoed 3 different FX68's in various stores so far specifically to see whether I could see the lines you mention and haven't spotted them so far.....

18. garygfx

garygfx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I thought JL only price match with other local stores? Chiswick High Street is some distance from Reading. (Just curious)

I'm surprised you haven't noticed the lines on the TV. So long as you're happy with it, that's the important thing. Maybe I'm more picky.

19. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    I do think that some are more picky that others - and I was looking for it (that said, only Sony Centre had the TV set up with a decent source). On the other hand I've spoken to 2 other people with the FX68 and they haven't spotted any lines either.

JL price match any retailer in the UK with a bricks and mortar presence. I guess the theory being that if Reading said no I would have ordered it from a JL store in London.

20. jase the space

jase the space
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Any comments on successfully using HoF to pricematch (see earlier post)?

21. garygfx

garygfx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I just want to update the forum with my experience of Allders.com. It's basically the same as Alans. At first Allders refused to price match Hi-Spek or Robertsons because they will only match Comet, Dixons, Currys and Argos's websites. They didn't understand that Hi-Spek and Robertsons have physical shops, but after the lady that Alan spoke to explained it to the lady that I was speaking to she agreed to do a price match, but they were out of stock so they couldn't proceed.

Out of the blue some 3 weeks later, she phoned me up to say they have some Toshiba 32ZD26 TVs in stock and would I like one as the stock isn't expected to last long. I got to her to confirm that I'd get a free 5 year warrantee (worth well over £100), do the price match and deliver for free. When she said yes I couldn't recite my credit card numbers fast enought! ;-) The next day someone called Eddie phone me up to arrange delivery for Tuesday - that's just a 5 day wait, not the 7 to 14 which is their standard quoted delivery time which was the icing on the cake! Full marks to Allders for their excellent service and living up to their promises, I'm very impressed and would recommend them highly. I just hope Toshiba have done their part with regards to QA so it doesn't have anything less than acceptable geometary!

Gary.

22. SuperNashwan

SuperNashwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought I'd mention what I've been told by House of Fraser regarding price matching. In the Guildford store I was told that price matching didn't include their "free" warranty and the guy was adamant about this even after a semantic discussion about what people reasonably mean by "free". However upon going to Bluewater to speak to JL about how to get a price match I popped into the HoF there and asked what warranty they'd do matching a JL quote. The guy told me that their tvs simply either come with the warranty or not, being free on certain models (28" and up I think). I mentioned what I was told in the Guildford store and the guy looked bemused, and maintained he wouldn't have a problem doing their five year warranty on price matching and had done so in the past. However in that store there was also a sign about price matching that indicated that they took warranties into consideration for whether it was a real price match. So I guess go to the Bluewater store and speak to the right person if you definintely have to get it from HoF, or go to JL first and take that to HoF.