1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Price Japan

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Ekko Star, Oct 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
    I have been in touch with Price Japan who immediately refunded my monies for the incorrect shipment. They have also been prepared to send me out a replacement via DHL immediately at a reduced cost. Also they will pay for the return shipment of the incorrect item.

As you can imagine this has been a very comforting response and has restored my faith quite considerably in them.

Thankyou Kaneda seems like I may have been totally wrong about you :smashin:

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Ekko Star,

Delighted that you got a good response from them - your reaction earlier today was completely understandable - if it happened to me I'd be having a ******y-fit of epic proportions !!!

I'm assuming you're taking them up on their offer of a replacement and hope it works out as expected second time round.

Regards,

Sean.

3. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great news Ekko and a commendable fast response and full apology from pricejapan.:thumbsup:

This is what the Japanese are like - kind and decent and unable to afford to allow that not to carry through to their retail operations - and Kaneda has a great rep for a good reason.

Give them another go - you'll not regret it and in the end and it makes a lot of financial sense too compared to buying in our own country!:suicide:

I will be getting my next and probably all replacement lamps from www.pricejapan.com for half the price compared to britain :smashin:

4. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Great news Ekko Star! A happy ending - we like those.

Sainthalo,

If I were blatently advertising like that I would be abusing my position as forum sponsor. Perhaps you might like to sponsor the forum on behalf of pricejapan? I don't much like the incinuation that as "This is what the Japanese are like - kind and decent" that we, the British retailers are in someway substandard, or lacking in kindness or decency. There is a line and you crossed it about half a mile ago. This is a thread about Ekko Star's experience - don't try and score childish points.

5. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Great news, glad it's all ended happily.

6. thescoobydoc

thescoobydoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Glad it all worked out in the end, you have to ask if it was worth it in this case, even without Duty, the cost of a Z3 lamp from Price Japan is over £175 if you include VAT.

I am not sure how that works out at less than half the price in Britain??

A saving of about £55 true, but given the hassle it proved to be, the fact that if it goes wrong it'll be more of your time and money spent trying to sort it out, the fact their after sales support is limited to email, unless it's an emergency, plus the extra week or so you are without a projector, you have to ask if it's worth it, if it is then all well and good, but you have to balance it all out.

Quote below may come in helpful to anyone thinking of trying to dodge import duty and VAT.

Fingers crossed eh!

"People are often unaware that, although the foreign sender may have completed the customs declaration form on the parcel, the [recipient is]regarded as the importer of the goods," HMRC warned.

"If anyone purchases goods over the internet and the declaration is found to be false or misleading, they may be liable to financial penalties or criminal prosecution. Furthermore the goods themselves will be liable to forfeiture."

7. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    actually so not true.. not when you sell them for:

PLV-Z3 SANYO UHP Lamp Product Details
    £279.88

but please reduce your prices to make it true! :D

8. thescoobydoc

thescoobydoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I stand corrected, was making a comparison with the Z1 and Z2 lamps, I do not know how much the Z3 cost, as it's not listed on the website.

Here is the breakdown for Z1 and Z2 lamps:

Pricejapan quote, including VAT, but NOT Import Duty-33907 Yen, which equates to £194.18, so the saving is more like £35.

Still not quite half is it? Least not when I went to school!

9. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We were always discussing Z3 lamps here (read the topic) - you sell them for £280 and pricejapan for £150 (plus £25 tax if youre unlucky).

10. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've dealt with Price Japan on a few ocassions & was mightily impressed by their (Kaneda's) manner, speed of response, updates etc.

EMS, good speedy delivery, everything flawless in fact.

:smoke:

11. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And would you like to sponsor the forum on behalf of pricejapan.com? :rotfl:

12. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +905
    I would like to sponsor the forum on behalf of dodgyboxshifters.com

tagline

we rip you off in a special way!

13. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
    Although my first dealings were not what you would call impressive, I do measure customer service on how somebody puts right there wrongs as well. So far he appears to be ok in this respect.

I shall await what actually arrives Mon/Tue before I pass final judgement in my mind though !

Whilst on the topic of savings through importing. In this case there is a substantial differnce in cost which is pretty difficult not to take note of. However a PJ is a delicate item and especially the lamps. I cannot help but think overall that this is an extremely risky approach to buy items of this nature. Defo not for the faint hearted. If you're the brave sort then good on you.

14. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I bought my HS10 bulb from price japan, came within a couple of days, well packaged, emailed me when it had been despatched, cost under £200 compared to £350 in my local sony centre. I was happy with the service.....

15. thescoobydoc

thescoobydoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    As I said, good luck to anyone that wants to take the chance.

For
    is ridiculous, you are not presenting a balanced argument, I am surprised the forum allows members to advise/advocate/encourage people to break the law.

Suppose someone follows the advice given on this forum, asks Pricejapan to put false information on their item, mark it as a low priced item etc etc and customs fine them and confiscate the lamp. They would not only be out of pocket, but it would also reflect badly on this forum.

Can you back this up?

16. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey thescoobydoc, you are a retailer of lamps and you sell the Z3 lamp so perhaps you are trying to discourage importing lamps to protect your business? Since you advertise here i presume you do actually sponsor the forums?

Anyway, Its up to individuals whether they import. For me, since you sell my lamp for £280 and pricejapan for £150, i think my choice is made.

17. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

It doesn't.

18. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,933
    Hello all

The price the shipper 'declares' as the value of a parcel is the value the goods are insured for - so understate the value and your not properly covered if thing go wrong.

Best regards

Joe

19. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you sure about that because when i send things overseas i select the shipping method and do the paperwork and put the value on there. This paperwork is kept by the courier or in the case of RM there is no paperwork. The customs sticker is a square green sticker which you fill in what you're sending. Theres no copy if it retained by anyone. anyhoo thats my experience, one value for customs and one for insurance (or no value for insurance).

20. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
    There is no condoning this type of practice.

If you import you are liable to pay duty and taxes on it if the value of the goods exceeds £36.

Marking the value down adds further risk to an already risky method of buying. Not only are you liable being the importer you are also devaluing your goods for insurance purposes. If the item is lost then the couriers will only likely pay to the value you declared.

You must take into account the Duty you will pay when comparing an imported item to a UK sourced one.

There are obviously instances when parcels do pass through customs and do not get picked up. Count yourself lucky if that happens and take it as a bonus.

I was quite happy to pay it on my first encounter using EMS/Parcelforce. On the second I have requested using DHL who will always slap Duty on it as they are in all honesty a far more professional outfit.

On this lamp I am saving just over £100 by importing. If the difference was £50 I would have bought it from the UK without question. Peace of mind, less hassle.

21. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,933
    Hello sainthalo

If your parcel goes missing or is damaged you will seek reimbursement from the Courier via its Insurers (unless you organise separate insurance and don't take the Couriers insurance option).

If you declare your goods are worth £50.00 GBP on the Way Bill that's the Max the Insurers will pay out; you cant say the goods are worth £50.00 on one hand and then put in a claim for a few hundred or a few thousand.

Best regards

Joe

As an example:
    Royal Mail International Signed for - standard compensation £30.00 (see http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content3?mediaId=400035&catId=400033)

Additional cover up to a max of £500.00 is available (http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content1?catId=400034&mediaId=3200002)

Your only way to be covered is to declare the true value of the goods!!!

22. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,138
    Ok I'm regretfully stepping in here.
    If it weren't for forum sponsors, there wouldn't be any forums, so I am going to stop anyone from blanket criticising them like you are doing, saithalo.
    You've made your point about importing from abroad and steadfastly refused to see an opposing opinions, so I'm warning you now. It's not even like you have an idea how retailers (have to) price things. Continue to criticise forum sponsors and I'll stop you from posting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.