Price japan questions (AE500)

(GTV)Chris

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi

I know this company has a good reputation but does anyone know the policy on dead pixels.
They charge an extra 4% for a return once policy. But do they check the projectors before they ship.
Also, will my existing AE100 mount fit the AE500?
Also, If I kept my 100, could I use the bulb as a spare?
So many questions...
But for £1200 delivered, including 17.5% I think that is pretty amazing.
Oh, just one thought though - I know the OSD is in japanese - dou you think there will be a way they could do a sort of conversion table?
Ooo Ooo, I just thought of another question..... The power converter for this model.... Is this going to be a big cumbersome box.. I would have to hide it in the ceiling space :(

Thanks for your patience

Chris

They don't open any boxes so no pixel check. The 4% fee allows you to return the unit if you have any problems though but the replacement will again be shipped sealed.

AE100 bulb as a spare? I doubt it.

Mount should be OK assuming the mounting holes haven't changed.

:)

someone on here recently told me that the OSD was now english..... i doubt the truth in that but it is possible

ad

might as well wait for the UK version, should be out in the next few weeks. Little more expensive, but alot less grief if anything goes wrong.

I emailed Kaneda about it and he said the TH-AE500 only has the Japanese OSD. They don't do the PT-AE500 unfortunately. I might just go with the Sanyo Z2 from them instead. Looking to save a packet and this seems to be the only viable option.

ptae 500 is advertised in europe from 1578 euros

If it is launched around that price (here's hoping)...then I will buy at the best price in the UK :)
Can someone explain to me the the difference I will see between 500:1 and 1300:1 contrast ratio.
Will this give a much better black.
I do love my AE100 and through a HCPC looks fab, but sometimes I crave more in the blacks - I watched Fight Club the other night and this is a good film in question, lots of dark scenes and the AE100 struggled. I assume the 500 will be a quantum leap?

Ta

Chris

im sure the ae100 to ae500 will be a massive leap in overall PQ due to resolution and contrast.

I assume blacks will be blacker and dark scenes will have alot more detail in the ae500, plus the fact it has a 1280x720 resolution the image will sparkle.

I have the ae300 with a 800:1 contrast ratio and blacks are black but in very dark scenes detail is lost but im very happy with it overall, beats watching the 32" crt anyday. I will be upgrading as soon as the ae500 is realeased in the uk and im sure I will be very happy with it.

Although the theory is that increased contrast ratio means blacker blacks, this isnt guaranteed. Also, it is likely that the contrast you are seeing is nothing like the specced contrast because these contrast specs will be taken specifically to get the highest possible (eg. black level with low lamp brightness setting minimum and white level with high lamp and highest contrast setting).

As you can see, some people are reasonably happy with their blacks as they are, but if you are picky like I have become, it will become a bug to bare. I suggest that most contrast ratio improvements are yielded through white level increases, only very minimal black level increases will be seen (if any). Simply inevitable im afraid

ad

I thought as much.
It is funny, I watched Charlis Angels 2 on my AE100 and it looked amazing - but this is a film that has been graded with a lot of contrast. The Fight club I mentioned before has little contrast.
Sometimes I am happy with the picture sometimes I'm not.
It depends on the films I watch - although better contrast doesn't mean better film :)
I will wait for the reviews to come in when the AE500 is released.
Then, maybe upgrade.

Cheers

Chris

Noticed someone is selling an AE500 for £1450 on Epay .......would this be a Jap import, or are the UK models released yet ?

Yep just checked, it is a Jap import & after checking the seller has suddenly realised the OSD is in Japanese :thumbsdow

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom