Price Hikes - Too Late Now (Heads-Up)

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Pirate!!, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Pirate!!

Pirate!!
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    Ahoy!

Recently I ordered a Tamron 55-200mm Di-II LD from Bristol Cameras (arrived today). I also had another lens on order, but it was back-ordered so cancelled it and found the same a few quid cheaper in stock elsewhere (now ordered with A.N. OTHER).

Made a call to Bristol Cameras to thank them for the delivery and to confirm cancellation. The guy who answered the phone basically said "you are lucky, the price for that lens has gone up to £99.00". I baulked at paying £59.00 but ended up shelling out £65.00 + postage because I didn't make my mind up quick enough when I first found the lens. That was 10 days ago.

The lens is now £99.00 on BC website. A £34.00 increase in less than a week on the price I paid and a £40.00 increase from the £59.00 price 2 weeks ago.

Assuming this trend is being mirrored by all retailers, anyone who is after glass had better get in quick whilst prices might still be affordable if you shop around.

And I thought I was a robbers dog!

2. springtide

springtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,549
    I got my Sigma 50mm f1.4 from BC for £299, now £369. I see that RGB Tech who were also £299 for the above lens now have it for £549.

I have heard that the Sigma prices are going up by 40%

3. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I think that this was an inevitability considering the state of things. I noticed increases of things like the A700/A00 bodies in my local camera shop recently so I bought a Tammy 18-250mm for my A200 a couple of weeks ago before it went up. My existing kit will have to do for now, but that's no problem as a rest from the continuous cycle of upgrades is no bad thing really. Back to the days of making equipment last. :)

4. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +999
    Will they sell at the inflated prices?

Could also be a good thing in that it may help/force some of us to learn how to use what we already have, and also for those selling.

5. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +310
    I was going to order that from Bristol Cameras but think I will give it a miss now its £99.00.

6. Pirate!!

Pirate!!
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    Item: 320336334834

Very much worth a punt and it's the correct model.

7. Jas H

Jas H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I've recently bought 3 lenses and wish I'd bought 4 month ago. However, I reckon they'll get a lot more expensive, so I'm happy to have done it.

Bought a 35L in mid December, and my 135L arrived today. These are my two favourite lenses now :smashin:

Got a 70-200L on order with Amazon, when for some bizarre reason they had it very cheap for one day last week :confused: It went up by over £200 the next day.

35L has gone up £300 since then. 135L up £250. Shocking :eek:

No more glass for me now :)

8. pattyg

pattyg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    After a D90 kit....£693.99 in What DC Feb 09...now £758.99 at same retailer

9. jradley

jradley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    I am sure the price rises will affect sales. I was thinking of revamping my collection of lenses with a view to longer term investment in the future but now I'm more thinking of holding on to what I have and making do :(

Do people think these price rises are permanent or do you think they will come down perhaps later this year to boost sales again ?

Oh what to do........

John

10. tracymae

tracymae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
  11. Jas H

Jas H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59

Permanent I reckon, as they're due to the pound getting back to its long term dollar average of $1.50. We just had it good for a while with $2 rates.

However, if the Yen falls, prices could ease a bit in the long term. No price cuts for at least a year I reckon :(

Watching lens prices over the last 2 months it's clear that as soon any retailer runs out of old (cheaply bought) stock, they are having to pay lost more for new stock, and pass the higher prices onto us.

I wish I'd held onto a EF-S 10-22 and brand new 24-105L instead of selling them 4 weeks ago now :(

My advice is to buy quickly if you need glass and can find it "relatively" cheaply. It will likely go up more in price :(