1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Price fears for next gen games

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by Miyazaki, May 19, 2005.

1. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
  2. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Gulp!

They are talking about the cost of the games here and not at the cost of piracy, which surprises me a little.

But I would be hard pressed to justify as many game purchases as I have for the xbox if they were £60 a game!

Tone

3. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    what suprises me is they are looking to increase to $60 per game. That is only £30, so how long have we been ripped off for?
    :mad:

4. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,623
    Innit

:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

There what do they think of that!!! :mad:

tris

5. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Does this only affect UK consumers? I doubt people in Japane would ever pay more than 6 or 7 thousand yen per game. (Thats about 30 quid)

6. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    No, it's a general price increase. Read the article.

7. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    It's nothing new, it was only 10 years ago that games cost about £20 with budget titles at about £7. :)

8. PiePie

PiePie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wasn't there speculation of a price increase when this generation came out, and the last generation?

9. dubledene

dubledene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and they wonder why piracy is such a problem
    £3 or £60 ???? you do the math

10. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    if you are paying for pirated games, that is a far bigger problem for the public and the industry than downloading games for no profit for your own personal use.

11. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    I dont see a problem, online stores like play and amazon will still sell games at a reduced price.

12. Sly

Sly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    i think 30 quid is a fair price to pay for a good game.
    the days of jeff minter sitting in his bedroom making games about camels for £3 are long gone but also there are a lot more gamers to buy the games too.
    still it was only a few years ago i used to pay £100's for the latest neo geo carts so its not my place to moan i spose..........

13. drskhaled

drskhaled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    60 quid is unsustainable. It may well be that the bods at MS and sony feel that'll be the best price to offset the loss taken from the hardware. Big releases such as gt4, mgs3 and gta4 all came out at 29.99 at release largely due to supermarkets such as Tesco. 30 quid is the price average consumer will pay for games. Keen gamers may fork out 40 quid for good games.
    Nintendo used to be the worst offenders the snes games were allways a tenner more than sega. Then the same with the n64 (nintys morbid fear of piracy made them use costly cartridges and in the process lose final fantasy7). Even some ps1 games were 40-50 pounds, so the 30 pounds we pay today i reckon is the price most people are comfortable with.

14. mutley

mutley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Here GT4 for PS2 was launched at 65€ the top till now... but majoraty of games get released at 60€... That's why piracy gets bigger and bigger. (we don't earn what US or UK people do)

If people had a 20-30€ price tag industry would get much more money around the world and piracy would desappear as it couldn't get any profit to justify itself...

15. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,413
    video game merchants know customers would never pay this price. its all these bosses thinking of charging more to compensate for piracy. Of course it never occurs to them people go pirate because of high price!

reminds me of an article saying a dutch think tank advising dutch government to implement an iPod tax - extra £30 or so. you know 'cos of piracy. so they want to penalise EVERYONE on the off chance the minority have some illegal music.
    but how to get rid of piracy? there's proprietory formats - but they cost. theres already DRM, so what more do bosses want? like some record companies want more profit from iTunes. 99p/99c is high enough it should be half that in fact

back to videogames - just inc security features such as a "code" on game discs so only genuine games can be played on consoles. Note to EA et al: cheaper games = more sales = more money

16. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    $59 = £32.14
    $69 = £37.58

Using todays exchange rates. UK street Price is £34.99 - £39.99. So what they are saying is they want to bring the US in line with the UK highstreet pricing ? What do you think they are going to charge £49 - £59 for a game over here ?

Never going to happen. They already have a massive problem with Piracy this is going to make it much worse not better. They should be looking to decrease prices NOT increase them. Personally I usually pay around £29 for new games off the net. I think this is fair and dont mind paying it for a good game. If they sold at £15 - £20 and were a bit more clever with more online support (Which all but stops piracy - look how many copies of Halo 2 they sold) and more nice cases like the limited tins we have been seing recently on the xbox they would all but kill piracy anyway.

They should also get titles to budget quicker. Every title should go to Budget £4.99 - £9.99 within 12 months of launch.

I cant see this effecting us. They wont go above £39.99 over here they simply wouldnt sell enough games.

People in the UK simply wont pay £50 - £60 for games so they are going to have a really problem selling their software, people will move back to the PC or whatever, well the casual gamers that make up much of the market will anyway.

Also knowing how price sensitive the yanks are one console will break ranks in the states and carry on seeling games cheap (As its the bigggest market) Look how cut throat the console market is whos going to risk alienating the community like this ????

17. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    Like I mentioned on a previous thread, you can't directly compare prices like this. Wages are different and a job over here doesn't pay twice that (in a $ amount) in the US. There is also a different tax system.

They will not get away with increasing the cost of games anyway as (as people have mentioned) it will only increase piracy. With great online interaction the games industry has the ability to eradicate piracy and therefore increase their profits that way. If they increase the user base like they are planning to then that will also vastly increase profits.

18. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,623
    Thats funny I remember Super Mario 3 being about £45 :confused:

tris

19. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    Indeed and Streetfighter 2 on the SNES was 60 quid! Infact most Snes games were at least £50.

20. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    I stupidly paid £70.00 for Megadrive Virtua Racer. I also remember paying £60 for Return Fire on the 3DO, that was worth it though !

21. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    Yeah I paid £80 for Starfox US import and an import adaptor (which was about £10-£15 separate I think). Great game although I remember that the adaptor was a bit dodgy and kept crashing from time to time.

22. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Its crazy to think how much we were ripped off over the years. I remember a friend paying a fortune for Neo Geo arcade carts anything from £80 - £250 I seem to remember :rolleyes:

Think how much £50 - £60 was 10 years ago as well. In fairness carts were very expensive to manufacture which is the main reason they moved away from them, (That and storage space)

23. drskhaled

drskhaled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Yeah games in the past were more expensive, this is probably becuase they were considered niche products, not anymore.

The other side to this is pc games. they are mostly cheaper than the console equivalents and go down in price rapidly after a few months (the only notorious exception i can think of is microsoft flight sims). Get this when Deus ex and half life were relaesed on ps2 (£30-40) you could get the originals for under a tenner on the pc. So if the pc market is able to sell games cheaper then why cant consoles.

I reckon the console games wil mimick dvds. they start at £20 on release and everone knows in a few months the same dvd will retail for a tenner or less. With video games it will start at £30 then go down to £20 after a few months.

24. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,413
    the videogame industry is a multi-million pound industry, said to be bigger than films + music right? people pay £40 which is the limit of reasonableness. I think shops are clever enough to know people won't pay more? next gen or not?

that is a good point. why are console games more expensive than PC games? + PC games discount quicker too! anything to do with easier pirating with internet? or development costs?

25. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    Supply and demand will always play a part, but if there is a consensus among developers that prices should go up, and we like the mass muppets we are ho and hum about it and in the end pay £50 instead of £40 on the high street, that is likely to stick. At the end of the day, most industry ethos is that the consumer is the enemy and other companies are your best friend, and you should conspire to keep prices artificially high for as long as possible.

The fact remains that they say they can't make money on games for the next gen at current prices, so prices will have to go up. There isn't two ways about it.

26. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +794
    Games will go up in price, whether we will actually pay more for them is something else, but the studios will up the price.

I paid £34.99 for Sapce Invaders on the Atari, and this was in 1978 when the average weekly wage was under £70, if games had risen with inflation you would all be paying approx. £300 a game!

Back when games were more expensive I used to give them more than 5 minutes, now I buy a game and if I don't take to it within 5 minutes it sits there unplayed, I have about 20 games from each console that are probably really good, but as they were only the price of a big round down the pub I don't feel guilty for not playing them.

27. PiePie

PiePie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know about your wage, but I don't know anyone personally who earns £600 a week :eek:

I never buy new games now, only secondhand or in compilation/budget packs. I just don't see the point in having to own something for the sake of keeping up with the Jones'

28. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +794
    The average wage in the UK at the moment is just under £600 a week, I just looked up the national earnings for 1978 and 2004 to get the figures.

Maybe it is time you looked at your career if you don't even earn £600 a week! ;)

29. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +794

It isn't about keeping up with the Jones' though, it is when you really want to play a new game and the only way to play it is to buy a new machine.
    I agree though, as I get older and have less free time to myself I find it easier to wait for a game to turn up used, I have picked up some real bargins recently, alot of NTSC stuff for under a tenner before the Pal version is even released.

We are now a global village, and as more and more people go online UK shop prices will have to fall in line with the online prices to a certain degree, peopel will not pay £59.99 for a game they can order from the comfort of there own home for half the price.

30. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    You can stick your national average where the sun don't shine as i dont know a single person who earns £600 a week.