1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Price Drop?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by slamakn, Dec 5, 2000.

1. slamakn

slamakn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When will the price of DVD's drop in this country and be more comparible to USA?

I'm sure this topic has been mentioned before, but I wanted both Toy Story films so shopped around UK stores and websites and generally they are £20 each. The new 3 disc box set is retailing at £50!! Crazy prices considering I have just placed an order with www.dvdboxoffice.com and have bought both of them on Region 1 for £20.59 with free shipping/delivery from Canada. Ok I will have to wait a week or two for delivery, but that is insignificant compared to the price saving. The feature list is also very similar between the two regions.

What we have to pay in this country is a joke, but unfortunately I can't see an end to the high prices. I will be sticking with region 1 for now as they are always so much cheaper and released earlier.

Any views?

------------------
    NPS

2. ptmbradley

ptmbradley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I only buy on the High Street when the offers are sensible. Currently, I've seen 2 for £22 (MVC), 2 for £25 (Virgin), 2x Bond for £30 (Virgin), Buy 1 get 1 half price (various). I expect Smiths/HMV etc have similar offers on.

Tescos tend to sell discs slightly cheaper, with £19.99 discs going for £16.99. I recently saw Fight Club for £16.99 and some places are selling for £25! However, I was in Tescos last night and the price is up to £19.99.

Speaking of Tescos, this week DVD's are VAT free. [​IMG]

Another place to look for a bargain is Blockbuster, who sell ex-rentals for under a tenner.

Otherwise I order from Play. [​IMG]

3. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I got Toy story 1&2 region 1 for £17.99 from play247 [​IMG]

Tim

------------------
    Perhap's today is a good day yo die

4. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Slammakn, funny you should mention TOY STORY. Disney is trying to raise prices, what jack bass'es! Warner is cutting prices. Disney is up to their usual stuff, they're dispicable.

------------------

Rachael, the big disc cat!

5. slamakn

slamakn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rachael - It does appear that Disney certainly have higher prices than most. Although their animation is superb, most of their films never reach past an hour and a quarter, so charging for a film of this length compared to a three hour film, is a bit of a rip-off.

Also, any idea when Disney will be releasing The Lion King on DVD. It's one of the best Disney films not to have been released?

------------------
    NPS

6. RobT

RobT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    slamakn - Ah but TS2 runs for just over an hour and a half! Must be Pixar's fault - naughty, naughty Pixar reducing Disneys profits! [​IMG]

But look how many summer blockbusters run for 90/95 mins too. So much is spent on special fx and as they have minimal plot it can sometimes be a struggle getting it ro run any longer.

Disney have always been up to this "usual stuff" - remember when they used to do "limited" releases on video of their classics and tv ads would scream out "buy it now for the last time out on video". As if they haven't got enough money - but I suppose when you have a very successful and popular 'generational' backcatalogue (excluding some of those dodgy live action films and duff 70's animations) you can do what you like!

Cheers

7. slamakn

slamakn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Blade:

I didn't intend to make that sound like I did. Obviously film length and price are not an issue if the quality is right. What I meant to say was how DVD's vary in price in terms of value for money. Put it this way, if the Madonna DVD single was £20 and Gladiator was £20, would you still say that feature length should not be compared to price? Do you think it would be right that both be priced the same? Even in Home Cinema magazine itself they frequently talk about poor value for money a DVD is for say £20. It all comes down to quality and extras so in essence what I was saying isn't that ridiculous (watch your spelling) in my opinion.

8. Blade

Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Relating film length with DVD price is one of the most rediculous arguments I have heard.

9. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I'm quoting from Widescreen Review Magazine, "Disney's Buena Vista Home Entertainment quietly raised it's suggested retail price $5 to $39.99. But according to the company, the minimum advertised price will remain $29.99."

This price is being undercut by Amazon.com, Reel.com, DVD Express, but these poor retailers will proably be selling at very nearly cost. Disney is the greediest of the greedy.

During the LD days they did the same sorts of things. I paid $55.95, a 20% discount from Ken Cranes, for the $69.95 list 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA. I was shocked when I watched this LD, which was labeled "EXCLUSIVE ARCHIVE COLLECTION", because it is to this day one of the worst mastered LDs I've ever seen. It has more shimmer than a freshly Zambonied ice rink. The colour was anti-vivid, barely coloured! The included episode of a Disney TV show about the movie, which was poor looking, looked way better than the film! I have never been more disappointed in a video purchase. And, I've purchased beaucoups!

The point is, this is pure Disney, take your paddling and say, "thank you sir, may I have another." Thank you ANIMAL HOUSE!
    If it's over-priced, devoid of features, or has a miserable image quality, that's the Disney seal of approveal.

No other studio is asking $39.95 for DVDs that are not "Special Editions", with extras. Pure Disney.... Best wishes cats!

------------------

Rachael, the big disc cat!

10. Jesus H

Jesus H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    relating film length to dvd price:

not so stupid, you aint gonna pay as much for a half hour cartoon as you are for a full length film.

------------------
    'This one's got a bad mmooooooooooooooooootivaaaaaaator (in a very camp voice)'

member formerly known as hank hill

11. slamakn

slamakn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My sentiments exactly! This is the exact point I was trying to make before I was classed as ridiculous.

12. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys

For what it's worth I just received this from Tesco
    http://www.tesco.com/entertainment/sound.htm

They're selling DVD's at VAT free prices. Don't know whether the prices are for on-line buying or in-store as well haven't had chance to check it out.

13. ptmbradley

ptmbradley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1