1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Price difference of internet and hi-fi shop purchases

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by torimusic, Oct 6, 2003.

1. torimusic

torimusic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking at the difference in prices of the Pioneer VSX-AX5i on the www.avland.co.uk website and at Sevenoaks in Bristol. The internet one is priced at £949.95 and the Sevenoaks price is £1199.95 which is a considerable difference of £250.

Is the internet product a 'grey' product ? How can it be so much cheaper and it still gets delivered to you; whereas if I bought it from Sevenoaks, I would still have to waste time and petrol going out to buy it at the higher price.

Any ideas on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Torimusic

2. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    Internet-based companies tend to be "box-shifters". They buy in bulk, sell the units on to end users - and that's all. Hifi shops have to maintain physical premises, they hire staff, train them (sometimes), provide facilities for demonstrations, offer advice, help with installations, and so on. The shop would argue that the service they offer (installation, advice on selecting and matching components, and actually doing demonstrations) is worth the extra that you pay.

It is certainly the case that, if everybody started buying from box-shifters, the shops would go out of business, in which case it would no longer be possible to actually get a demonstration of anything any more.

3. torimusic

torimusic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nicolas,

I just wanted to make sure I was not going to buy a product that looks like the real thing but is actually something quite different.

4. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    torimusic - when I was in 7oaks in Whiteladies last week they had a 2011 for sale - Andy (the manager) reckons it's a better amp than the AX5, did you consider this?

BTW he wasn't trying to flog me the amp as I'm after a Denon 3803.

PPS Andy is always up for a bit of a haggle on list prices.

5. torimusic

torimusic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Wilbur

Any ideas why he says this is a better amp ? I know it's a lot cheaper than the AX5i. I'm not interested in the i-link input which is one of the main features. I'm also not too concerned about the amps because I use external amps for my 5 channels. I would only utilize the ex-surround amps of the receiver.

Cheers

Torimusc

6. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    I should probably add that some Internet vendors certainly do sell "grey" imports, and that this can cause you a lot of problems if something breaks down - the manufacturer will often not honour a guarantee outside the country where the device was intended to be sold.

7. Rainbow6

Rainbow6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NicolasB,

Is it fair game to name (on this thread) which vendors these are that you're referring to? Or to say how those of us looking to purchase might know what's quality stuff and what's not?

I.e. some retailers like Superfi, who claim to only sell UK stuff, have some pretty good prices on some items. For example, the Marantz SR7300 at £399. Richer Sounds is doing it for the same price, but carries no such promise as to UK spec stuff. How would one know if it's 'grey' or not?

I asked Richer Sounds the other day if the price he quoted me for a Yamaha 640RDS at something like £330 was for a European import or UK spec, and his reply was: 'Well it doesn't really matter anymore, does it? We're all one European community now aren't we?' - Dodgy answer, I know, and it probably says it all. But, who do you trust??? Only the local dealers who sell at full RRP? :confused:

Thanks,
    Jim

8. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,230
    I do not think AVLand will be a grey import I had them recommended to me because of that and when I rang them the strongly assured me my purchase would be a UK product.
    Have a word with Sevenoaks I’m sure you could haggle them down on price.

9. Rainbow6

Rainbow6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I live in Belfast, Northern Ireland. I don't have a Sevenoaks near me (see thread I started on advice for Demos in Northern Ireland).
    Thanks,
    Jim

10. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,230
    I was replying to the first poster.

11. Rainbow6

Rainbow6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry mate! Thought you were replying to me. ;)

Jim

12. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    No. :)

To be honest, I don't have enough experience of individual vendors to point fingers anyway. I've heard of people whom I have no reason to disbelieve receiving imported versions unexpectedly from more than one vendor. I am reasonably satisfied that this happens sometimes. I wouldn't like to be any more specific than that, even in private.

Incidentally, in case anyone thinks I was casting aspersions at AVLand in particular: I have no reason to suppose that AVLand in particular sells grey imports.

I think the best thing is simply to ask the vendor, and, if you're uncertain, get it in writing. If you are sold something that the vendor claims is UK-sourced but which actually isn't, then they are violating the Trades Descriptions Act and you should be able to get your money back.

Of course, even if you do buy a grey import, it may be the case that the vendor will replace faulty equipment under warranty - it's just that you're depending on them to do it, and the manufacturer's guarantee can't be depended upon.

13. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,510
    Guys please buy in the local shops, build a relationship and haggle on the price if you think the difference is too much....

Please don't just get a demo and than buy it somewhere cheaper as soon you won't be able to get any demo's at all.....

BTW I do not own a shop, just being realistic about the future...

14. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    If feel sorry for us living in UK (although I am a Swede but living here for a long time). EU has this year implemented new consumer powers that means that if a Swede buys a Pioneer amp from Germany and it needs service, he/she will can easily get it serviced in a authorized service shop in Sweden. People I know in e.g. Sweden and France haven't had any problem of cross buying or servicing.

The electrinics agent's here are still putting up resistance, a bit strange as the new rules already works in the auto market. The service dealers has to service any car bought within EU if it is inside the warranty. But the UK government are at the moment drafting up the new consumer rules and when it is out, the agent's will finally be forced to service any product bought within EU.

Wasabi.

15. Sven_DP

Sven_DP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, something the boys and girls at KEF still haven't figured out. You cannot limit your warranty inside the EU depending on the country of purchase! I didn't know that there were still differences between the UK and the rest of the EU!? Anyway I have never had any problems with big names like IBM, HP, Siemens, Philips or Sony for that matter. Most of them have applied international warranty for years now.

Most of UK e-tailers won't sell outside the island, and that's a pitty because it seems to me that UK prices have gone under the German prices which have been the lowest ones in Europe for years. Isn't a strong Euro nice sometimes? :clap:

16. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    International warranties on portable products e.g. cameras and laptops are not a problem strangely.

But e.g. on projectors and amplifiers there seems to be different views. I bought my Sanyo from Germany, and when I asked Sanyo UK would honour the 3Year warranty that Sanyo Germany gives, if it needed repair, they said no. Anyway, I am not concerned though as I know the new EU directives on Consumer Rights and that overrides the UK laws ;p

Also as you know in UK you only get 1 year warranty, but in the rest of EU they now get 2 years warranty, no questions asked, and many retailers and certain brands are now adding another year, e.g. Sanyo Germany.

Pooh on UK agents.

So learn the rights and don't let the UK agent's bully you.

Wasabi

17. JonathanKnight

JonathanKnight
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would agree with the person who said we should support our local shops. I recently brought a TV from mine, got excellent service, fast delivery at my convenience and help setting it up. They even helped set up the freeeview box which I had brought elsewhere as they had not been able to supply the exact model I wanted.

All I did then was price match it on my Barclaycard with an internet dealer and got £400 back. I get the best price and the shop gets some good business, a win all round :clap:

18. Rainbow6

Rainbow6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wohh. Pricematch on Barclay card? What's that? Give us more details - that sounds too good to be true!

Jim.

19. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    barclay card will pricematch goods for up to 60 days after purchase! but a lot of conditions apply works well but they are hot on fraud!!!!