1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Price comparison sites that cover most of the Freeview boxes?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by cerebros, Apr 23, 2003.

1. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I seem to be running into a dead end with Kelkoo (Kelkoo don't even cover Nokia as a manufacturer) and the few other price comparison sites I've got bookmarked.

I'm leaning towards the Nokia 221T. The best price I've found it for off my own bat is £130 give or take a couple of pennies, but I'm obviously keen to get it for less if I can.

Can anyone point me towards a cheaper place, or a better price comparison site?

Thanks

2. bar

bar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand that the typical dealer margin on a Freeview receiver is £10 - £12.

Suppose a dealer buys something in bulk for, say, £117.50 including the VAT. If he makes a tenner that's £127.50. That tenner has to cover all of his time and paperwork in buying the units, keeping them in a warehouse, selling one to you and warranty if it goes wrong.

Any dealer buying in bulk at £117.50 would clearly be nuts to sell at less than £130 because the profit wouldn't be enough to cover his overheads and the occasional warranty return (which costs him an absolute minimum of £5 to return to the factory).

What I'm suggesting is that you are wasting your time looking for a bargain because, at most, you are going to save £2.50. Is it worth the hassle, bearing in mind that any dealer cutting his margin to the bone is *extremely* unlikely to be keen to help you if you have problems. I always feel it's better to pay a tenner *extra* so the dealer can afford to spend some time with you if things go wrong.

Some of the bigger dealers may cut their margins to, say, £8 if they have a few "old stock" items to shift. In this case you'll save £4.50 but I suspect you can whistle goodbye to any warranty. They'll find a way to wheedle out of it.

If you find a 221T for less than £125 I'll be extremely surprised and I'd suggest that it was either stolen or faulty. If you want a real bargain. look for a used one but check it carefully.

4. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    My main concern with an item such as a STB is to get it for as little as possible. It's not like buying an amp or speakers from a dealer where you're going to go into the store and possibly ask questions and get a demo of several bits of gear. In that case I'm happy to pay a bit more than on-line because you're getting a service that is helping you in the purchase of a product.

And I don't subscribe to the theory that because you pay a bit more for something you're going to get better service if something goes wrong. You can find plenty of instances of people, for example, paying full whack at one of the the large store groups and then getting crappy service when things go wrong.

In fact, I would argue the smaller dealer with low margins is likely to give you better service if things go wrong as they're more likely to take a long term view that if they treat customers well, they'll get repeat custom. Big stores on the other hand get a fortune from over priced warranties - despite press reports about what a rip-off they are - and so are far less likely to be concerned

5. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The point I was making is that the dealers have no profit margin in which to negotiate. The high street stores make their money by selling a LOT of boxes for just a few quid over their buying price and by selling insurance. The smaller dealers make their money by giving you the box at the high street price (usually zero profit for them as they pay more for smaller quantities) and by selling an aerial installation, new TV or whatever.

So if you see a Freeview box advertised at, say, £100, then that's probably as low as you'll get it. You might spend a lot of time and effort shopping around to get it for £98 but is it worth the hassle? No way are you going to get it for, say, £75 because the dealer is probably buying it for £95!

Fman