Previous ok recordings now glitching

sofasurfer

My daughter was watching a Dr Who episode this afternoon and I noticed that there were a few occasions when the picture would break up. We have watched the episode a few times before and it used to be perfect. She said that this has happened on a few other episodes she has watched and I am at a loss to understand why a perfectly good recording would now play up.

Is there any cure or has the recording now always got that glitch?

nsewell

My daughter was watching a Dr Who episode this afternoon and I noticed that there were a few occasions when the picture would break up. We have watched the episode a few times before and it used to be perfect. She said that this has happened on a few other episodes she has watched and I am at a loss to understand why a perfectly good recording would now play up.

Give a planner rebuild a go, the instructions should be at the bottom of this link: Troubleshooting Failed Recordings & Planner Rebuil... - Sky Community

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
My guess is the hard disk is on the way out.

snaithg

If it's a very old Thomson Sky box, it could be faulty capacitors [Hardware Fault].

Graham.

sofasurfer

It's a 1tb Amstrad box that's about 3 years old. I have a feeling there is a hard drive fault and once I have caught up on the most recent programs I may have to wipe it and start again and hopefully that will sort it. Otherwise it's a new 2tb for me.

snaithg

It's a 1tb Amstrad box that's about 3 years old. I have a feeling there is a hard drive fault and once I have caught up on the most recent programs I may have to wipe it and start again and hopefully that will sort it. Otherwise it's a new 2tb for me.
Have you tried the "Planner Rebuild" suggested by "nsewell" above. This process does not lose any of your recordings but fixes many problems. Give it a try if you have not already!

Graham.

sofasurfer

Have you tried the "Planner Rebuild" suggested by "nsewell" above. This process does not lose any of your recordings but fixes many problems. Give it a try if you have not already!

Graham.
First thing I did...it seems as if the oldest recordings are the ones that suffer. Recordings made in the last week are ok. I think it's going to be time for a new box.

MartinPickering

Typical life of a Hard Drive - especially when used for video - is three years. Reformatting it is unlikely to improve its reliability.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom