1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pretty Rainbows!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by g_unit, Mar 29, 2005.

1. g_unit

g_unit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now as much I like seeing Rainbows, I don't particularly want them on my TV. I unfortunately am the only one in my family who see's rainbows, and I see them very easily with having to move my head around like a chicken!

I was worried that a DLP TV of any make may not be for me due to the rainbow effect. I took a risk anyway and purchased a Sammy over the weekend. After three days of heavy viewing I can honestly say I seldom notice a rainbow now! On the first day they were everywhere and it was quite bad. Now I seem to be getting used to the TV and see them A LOT less, even when I try to force it! Maybe my eyes have evolved or mutated :eek: , but either way the rainbows are lot less of an issue now.

:clap: If you suffer like me, give a DLP tv some good viewing time and you should notice a drop in the visibility of rainbows!! :clap:

2. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    g_unit
    I had the opposite experience to u in that i never saw them when i first had the set
    but now i do but only when i glance away from the set. I don't find them a problem.
    I have read that watching in the dark makes them worse?

3. g_unit

g_unit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes in the dark they are most noticeable, especially dark scenes with candles (plenty in Gladiator)! In this scenario everytime I move my eyes to look at items on the screen I can see them!! But now only if I glance away from the screen quickly I see a little flicker of colour here and there.

I think it may also be down to subconciously not looking for them. At first I was looking for them and saw them loads without too much effort. Now I am probably concentrating more on watching the program and so I feel that I am seeing them less. As you never used to see them, you started looking for them and now your always looking for them so you see em... if that makes any sense at all!?!?! :( :(

4. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Apparently rainbows effect nervous peope more than calm.

5. g_unit

g_unit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL, well I do consider myself a calm person so I'm not sure about that! I think (and I may be wrong) you see rainbows when the TV's refresh rate or colour change rate is not fast enough to fool your eye into seeing colour. So as the picture cycles through Red, Green, Blue you are picking up the images faster than most and so see the colours separated.

This may be way off, but its the best explaination I can come up with??? :)

6. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    The optoma RD range are very good when it comes to rainbows. I hardly see any 1 or 2 a month if that. Maybe Im too lazy to see them, I'll try shaking my head abit when I next watch a film and report.

Abit like this bloke is doing -> :rotfl:

7. g_unit

g_unit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOLOL - Just move your eyes from one side of the screen to the other as quickly as you can. To aid you put on Gladiator and watch any scene with candles on tables etc.

8. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Turn on the heating as shivering can also bring on the rainbow effect.

9. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    g_unit - I had the same experience as you with the Toshiba - I saw rainbows everywhere for the first few days and then it trailed off quite dramatically. However certain scenes still cause them for me - dark or shadowed scenes with a bright light of some sort. Gladitor is really good for this - especially the scenes in the cells below the colossium when the gladiators are preparing for battle. I have found that whenever I get truly lost in a programme or movie I don't notice them at all.

The best rainbow generator is the THX aspect ratio test - the one with the white circle on a black background - its a corker. If you are suseptable to rainbows this should flush them out!

Rainbows are far more bearable than blurs though - you can control and become acustomed to rainbows but blurs are there for good (or bad).

So is the 7 segment wheel better than a 6 when it comes to rainbows or worse? I've read posts that imply this and therefore that the samsung is better at reducing them because of this. Is there any truth in this?

It's odd though - I stood for hours in front of the samsung in stores watching all manner of footage and never saw a single rainbow - but this could have been the lighting in comet I guess.