Pretty in pink.

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by Nimby, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +700
    A family car we saw at the supermarket: :)

[​IMG]

Very difficult to capture the special pink blush paint finish with my camera.
    All my other pictures came out fawn-grey.
    Sorry about the fugly crop. :blush:

[​IMG]

2. waf-tastic

waf-tastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    That is nasty - why would you spend good money on a car and do that to it? Surely you don't buy them like that? :confused:

3. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    it's flip paint, every angle flips a different colour :)

I actually like it, as long as there is an RS engine hidden under there and not an oil burner.

4. blackrod

blackrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    You actually LIKE it!!! :eek:

Nooooooooooo....

5. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +700
    This family car is an individual amongst a sea of identikit euroboxes.

Quality workmanship is always something to be proud of.

I liked the bright red Porsche callipers in the 20" wheels too. :devil:

[​IMG]

6. blackrod

blackrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314

I can see what you're saying but IMO...

Individuality - Check
    Quality workmanship - Check
    Expensive - Check
    Crap colour - Check
    Crap bling wheels - Check
    Tasteless - Check

Like I said, it's just my opinion, I don't like modded cars of any variety to be honest, just don't see the point.

7. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +700
    I think you are missing the point. :)

Individualism ruled until the coming of industrial mass production. Probably starting with the bicycle choice of anything but colour and model became more limited. The manufacturers (apart from early Ford) did not lose sight of personal taste. They offered colours, striping, different models, different accessories etc.

Even personalising bicycles has become a massive market. Few are satisfied with a bike that looks like a pea in a pod.

The same goes for the car, with knobs on. We spend so much time in our vehicles that they have become an extension of our highly decorated nests back at home.

Do any car manufacturer offers one model with zero options? They make lots of money adding options. They know their customers will always select options to personalise their vehicles even if it doubles the price over the basic model.

Personalising cars with aftermarket goodies is now a major industry worldwide.
    Even selecting a different colour will personalise your car in a subtle, or not so subtle, way. Whether you like the results of these mods is a very personal matter of taste. Do you remember John Lennon's yellow Rolls Royce? :)

8. waf-tastic

waf-tastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I saw a bloke in one of those 'limited edition' pink Micra cabriolets today - he certainly looked individual... each to their own as you say, but when I see a car that has flip paint, my first thought is never - 'hey, that looks individual' :rolleyes:

Mind you, I can't see why people get personalised number plates either - that just says 'look at my number plate not at the car please' to me!

9. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +700
    I imagine the original purpose of the "personalised" numberplate was an attempt to get away from easily dating a particular vehicle. It allowed drivers to continue to enjoy their vehicles for longer than their pride and peer pressure would normally allow in the status-riddled lower middle classes. The system has since become completely corrupted of course. Anyone who needs an expensive number plate has far more disposable income than modesty should allow. :)

Stripping off model identification labels from a vehicle has since become a popular pastime. To much the same effect as non-serial number plates. In other countries the age of a vehicle is not recognizable from the number plate and the practice of personalised number plates is restricted to very few indeed. You might see one or two per year.

I find the strange practice of vehicle status and ownership bewildering. One may not own an older car unless it is immaculate and of an accepted pedigree. Only certain makes are acceptable under all circumstances. Two cars of identical age and condition may be priceless or completely worthless. What strange rules we set ourselves just to get from A to B. :D