"Pretentiously messy" stag do ideas

sheriffwoody

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The time has come to look into booking a trip away somewhere for a stag do for my best friend and need some ideas/help.

Never been a best man before (i am a joint best man with his brother as well), nor organised a stag do. We don't want the typical "lads holiday" to magaluf or kavos, nor can we really afford to go to somewhere like Vegas (although i would love to) - so need somewhere a bit different, wallet friendly but equally nice weather with stuff to do etc.

We have given it the description of "pretentiously messy" as most of the guys will be in some form of Jack Wills clothing with some posh gilets on (i will be in tesco finest shorts and t shirt combo).

So far we have ideas of barcalona and somewhere in portugal, i suggested either prague or bulgaria.

Any recommendations as to where to go? will only be for 2 or 3 nights and we don't need 5 star all inclusiveness, just somewhere fun and accommodating with a few activities to do. :smashin:

La Tomatina or the running of the bulls depending on your dates? :thumbsup:

Been to La Tomatina a few years ago.

i meant to add dates - the wedding is at the tail end of May next year, so probably looking to go away either MArch or April time 2014.

Just got back from a stag in Hamburg 2 weeks ago. It's well set up for them. Lots of bars and clubs, beer bikes (good fun) and of course the Reeperbahn for a bit of, ah "alternative" entertainment. The port area is also good, and you could maybe fit in a footy game if you're there in March/April, to give a break from drinking. We went go karting too.

We stayed in one of the A&O Hostel/Hotels (there are 3 in the city I think). Sounds a bit dodgy but it was great, full of students and others on a budget, 24 hour bar, clean rooms with 2/3/4 single beds per room...ideal really, and cheap.

Woody, I recently went on a stag to Tallinn which was a good laugh. It is cheap enough and is east enough for them to have a little bit of seediness but also undeveloped enough for it not to be overrun with stags. Personally I find it a bit cringe worthy when one group of smurfs bumps in to another.

There isn't a huge strip or anything (a good thing in my book) but if you have a guide of sorts they will take you to the few places around town suitable with cheap drinks, good looking woman and sticky floors where you can get a way with a little boisterousness. I'm sure it will all change but when we were there seeing out stag spilling out of his Borat Mankini was still enough of a novelty for them that they took it in jest rather than though ‘oh another stag…'.

Also the centre of town is rather nice set off and old square with plenty of nice day time places which are a bit more civilised. It might not have the climate you're looking for, it was shorts and T-shirts when we were there but a yacht on the Baltic was bracing!

I've not been to Bulgaria but from research guess this may appeal to some and not others, cheap and better climate but more established and more of an 18-30 crowd I suspect.

I guess budget and your priorities come in to play, how important is climate? Most of the cheaper warmer places are not really stag places such as North Africa.

What about the Dam? Very cheap and easy to get to, loads to do but not warm. Another that made our shortlist similar to Tallinn was Riga.

Long shot but a deal in Thailand? Would be an awesome stag.

Berlin is really cool, lots to get messy with but also great culture and things to do. Had an amazing time with 18 mates for a b day. Hired 'Fat Tyres' bikes and survived cycled Berlin smashed.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom