Prestige Best films of the 90’s year by year !!

Cripes has Jacob's Ladder been mentioned for 1990? Remember being weirded out by that in the cinema, bloody hell a great film ahead of it's time. Though I think Miller's Crossing is my favorite from that year and had already been picked.

I gave Jacob’s Ladder a re-watch for this thread and to be honest it lost a lot of it impact from when I first viewed it, also don’t quite get the fascination with Tim Robbins he got a lot of gigs in the 90s and can’t honestly think why.

Not saying these are the best of 1992, but they're my personal pick...

Reservoir Dogs
Already reviewed above by Lucas, nothing more to add. It's brilliant.

Glengarry Glen Ross

View attachment 898802

As with Reservoir Dogs, it's all about the dialog.

"Have I got your attention now?
Good. 'Cause we're adding a little something to this month's sales contest.
As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado.
Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives.
Third prize is you're fired. Get the picture?"

Obviously it's about the way the dialog is delivered too, and what a cast:
Pacino, Baldwin, Lemmon, Spacey, Pryce, Arkin...

Makes me want to watch it again just writing this.

Dust Devil

View attachment 898805

"The Dust Devil must keep moving to survive, blown by the desert wind, on and on, throughout eternity, without rest or pity."

In complete contrast to Glengarry, the cast play second fiddle here to the visuals and direction.

Like Hardware before it (from the same director), this is a low budget horror relying entirely on creating a mood and doing the unexpected.

Great to look at, moody as hell and really original.

Glad someone mentioned Glengarry Glen Ross, was very close to picking it myself, what a cast, what a script, need to pick up the bluray sometime, thanks:smashin:

Also funny you mentioned Dust Devil, I watch the documentary Lost Souls:The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanleys Island of Dr Moreau the other night, he directed Dust Devil and Hardware, if you have not seen it, its another production of a film that is great to watch for all the madness that was happening, Val Kilmer was a right **** to put it nicely, with fame going to his head, and Brando, just being Brando, just a shame the film that Frankenheimer finished off is complete shit.

Thanks to @systemsdead and @lucasisking , just ordered Baraka as I have never seen it, so will have it for the weekend now:smashin:

@theprestige , nice one on Deep Cover:smashin:

^
Ive still not seen Glengarry Glen Ross but would definitely like to see Dust Devil again has it had a Blu upgrade?

A Dust Devil Blu Ray has been rumoured for years but still no release as far as I know :(

Glengarry is a must watch, such a good film

I gave Jacob’s Ladder a re-watch for this thread and to be honest it lost a lot of it impact from when I first viewed it, also don’t quite get the fascination with Tim Robbins he got a lot of gigs in the 90s and can’t honestly think why.

^ agree he's the weakest link in Shawshank, and he's atrocious in Mission to Mars.

But directed Dead Man Walking with his then wife later , which I rather like a lot and Penn is ace in that film.

Nice write up, glad I mentioned it in my HMs now. Wouldn't mind a re-watch of that, along with 1990's Pacific Heights.

With you on Bridget Fonda :love:

Yeah thanks mate, a lot of those thrillers hold up really really well. Was happy to see it being mentioned too.

Think I will have myself a Bridget Fonda marathon at some point :D

^
Man Bites Dog (1992) Directed by Belvaux, Bonzel, Poelvoorde
image-w1280-jpg.898663

A film that is deeply disturbing but has such a brilliant and original concept you just have to sit back and go with it, this is a film about a psychopathic serial killer with a difference he doesnt discriminate he will kill absolutely anyone no matter what age/colour/religion or job description anyone whoever happens to cross his path gets it pure and simple, and whats separates this from the pack is that behind this psycho is a live camera crew following him and filming all his dastardly deeds and murders ala reality TV, one of the ways this works so well alongside its vicious mean streak is by giving it a very satirical dark humour which hits a nerve and pretty much succeeds in capturing the morbid fascination we seem to have of serial killers, Well worth a watch with ya Gran.

And again you continue add to my huge pile of films to watch for the next several months. I've actually heard of Man Bites Dog but it has alluded me. Definitely going to have to give this one a watch asap.

Haven't seen Baraka but i've seen Samsara which I believe is a sequel? Visually opulent, but I worry if Baraka is anything like Samsara, I may not get one well with it as I don't remember there being a narrative?

Fair enough I haven't watched Jacob's Ladder in years but do have it on DVD, must rewatch it. Still loved it last time I looked.
Do you like The Player?
You can't say a bad word against Tim he was Merlin in Top Gun after all. :nono:

Fair enough I haven't watched Jacob's Ladder in years but do have it on DVD, must rewatch it. Still loved it last time I looked.
Do you like The Player?
You can’t say a bad word against Tim he was Merlin in Top Gun after all. :nono:

I still rate Jacob’s Ladder and if someone hasn’t seen it before would def recommend a viewing I just seemed to remember it being more unsettling than it actually was this time, yep enjoyed The Player on release but really cant say if it as dated that well only watched it the once, by far my favourite of anything Robbins has done would be Mystic River which has its haters but I totally dig it.

And again you continue add to my huge pile of films to watch for the next several months. I've actually heard of Man Bites Dog but it has alluded me. Definitely going to have to give this one a watch asap.

Haven't seen Baraka but i've seen Samsara which I believe is a sequel? Visually opulent, but I worry if Baraka is anything like Samsara, I may not get one well with it as I don't remember there being a narrative?

Yep regards Baraka it follows the same themes no narrative as such just a wonderful visual experience.

This contains spoilers so best avoid @theprestige but for anyone else slightly interested here’s an interesting comparison between Man Bites Dog and Nightcrawler

Silly me, been subscribed to the 80's page waiting for the 90's one and wondered why no one was posting :facepalm:

As i said in the 80's thread i knew my films even before i read anything and it's not hard to guess my first 3 -

upload_2017-8-16_14-27-8.jpeg

Who hasn't watched this on more than one occasion? This was the first 18 movie i seen at the Pictures. Me and my school mate, both well under 18, got in for a half to this film (ahh the good ol days on non PC and protecting children) and we were blown away with it.
Yeah we had seen violence before but not on the big screen, it just resonated with us and we talked about it for weeks!

Most of it's been covered by previous reviewers and i agree with it all. For me the best gangster movie of all time.

point-break.jpg

Ironically this was on the other week on CH5 and i still stayed up till 1.30am to watch it! What's not to love about Point Break? Reeves first 'big' film, Swayze shaking off his Ghost image and Anthony Kiedis as a Surf Nazi!!

200.gif

Yeah it's a little cheesy at points but the action more than makes up for it. The surf scenes are excellent as are the Sky diving ones. Jonny chasing Bodhi after the failed bank heist is a great, if not the greatest, on foot chase scene which ends up with that infamous scene that Pegg and Frost chose to add into Hot Fuzz.

200.gif

The finale with Bodhi riding the big wave a Bells beach during the 50 year storm and the Australian cop saying 'we'll get him when he comes out' and Utah saying ' he ain't coming back' is a poignant moment, he practiced what he preached and went out as he wanted too.
Love this movie.

200.gif

200.gif

Welcome to the world, Quentin Tarintino. I'd never seen a movie like this, ever. The way it jumped around, the way it laid each characters story out and the way it introduced Music as much of the story as the actual film (something that becomes his trademark).
I mean can you actually listen to Little Green Bag without thinking of the above? Or Stuck in the middle with you without this -

200.gif

Excellent script, fantastic dialogue and a great cast. For me i always loved Mr Pink (Steve Buscemi). Yeah Madsen,Keitel and Roth were the bigger names but i just loved his way especially at the beginning as @lucasisking mentioned with him being a tight ass over a tip :laugh:

giphy.gif

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-16_14-48-2.png
    upload_2017-8-16_14-48-2.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 42
  • upload_2017-8-16_14-48-57.jpeg
    upload_2017-8-16_14-48-57.jpeg
    8.7 KB · Views: 40
And again you continue add to my huge pile of films to watch for the next several months. I've actually heard of Man Bites Dog but it has alluded me. Definitely going to have to give this one a watch asap
I remember catching this at my local arthouse way back when. I haven't watched it since, as it's a very tough watch, and reminds me a lot of Henry : Portrait Of A Serial Killer. Very different for sure, but just make sure that you're in the right frame to sit down and get to know Rene...

I'll try and post my 1992 picks up late tonight.

Prior to last night, i'd never seen Reservoir Dogs or Glengarry Glen Ross:eek:

Watched Dogs last night. Typical Tarantino movie with the snappy dialogue, story, characters.

I just felt he did it better in his later films (understandable given this was one of his earliest efforts), so it wouldn't make my top 2.

Will have to get around to watching Ross later in the week if possible.

I think 1992 is one of the weaker years of the decade. Still good, but by 90's standards, not in the top half.

Just had a look at 1993 though:eek::eek::eek::clap:

I'll try and post my 1992 picks up late tonight.

Prior to last night, i'd never seen Reservoir Dogs or Glengarry Glen Ross:eek:

Watched Dogs last night. Typical Tarantino movie with the snappy dialogue, story, characters.

I just felt he did it better in his later films (understandable given this was one of his earliest efforts), so it wouldn't make my top 2.

Will have to get around to watching Ross later in the week if possible.

I think 1992 is one of the weaker years of the decade. Still good, but by 90's standards, not in the top half.

Just had a look at 1993 though:eek::eek::eek::clap:

Jeez. I dunno man, I'm one of those who still thinks Reservoir Dogs is QT's best and purest movie.

Not saying these are the best of 1992, but they're my personal pick...

Reservoir Dogs
Already reviewed above by Lucas, nothing more to add. It's brilliant.

Glengarry Glen Ross

View attachment 898802

I quite like Glengarry Glenn Ross too if only for that Alec Baldwin scene. Brass balls. :D

Dust Devil sounds intriguing, never heard of it before but another for the list.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom