Prestige Best Films Of The 10's Year By Year

theprestige

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I know that this will be a bit controversial considering the year has yet to end, but as @Drax1 pointed out, we can always update this list.

The 10s has truly been a conflicting decade for me as i'm sure it has for many other people. It's easily the worst decade in film, but as always, there are some gems here and there (mostly world cinema, arthouse) while the studio system is in the worst shape it has ever been in. I know @lucasisking is a fan of this decade and maybe as times goes on, there will be a better outlook on it, but as of today, it's not the most interesting decade for me, though i'm looking forward to seeing how the rest of you guys responding to it.

To note, the 60s/50s and 40s threads were meant to occur way before the 10s, and that's still in the pipeline, I have just wanted to watch as many of films from the decade as I possible could to ensure that I can contribute to the threads as strongly as possible.

Anyway, without further ado, lets get straight down to business.

Animal Kingdom (David Michod)

animal_kingdom07.jpg

This low key Aussie crime drama had been on my radar for quite awhile and it wasn't until about 5-6 years ago that I finally caught it. Went in for Guy Pearce, who i've always been a big fan of, and came out of it admiring a lot of other talents like Jacki Weaver and Ben Mendelsohn. This was my first exposure to those two and looking back on this now, it's clear that Michod had put together a heavyweight cast of brilliant actors.

Adopting a more subtle, low key approach compared to many who delve into the crime genre, Animal Kingdom benefits from a familiar and relatable world in which your heroes are neither likeable or unlikeable, but just incredibly flawed human beings trying to survive in a world that's socially hostile. Our youthful, bewildered protagonist, Jay (sympathetically performed by James Frecheville) is not your most courageous, resourceful or even intelligent hero, but a young man who's aware of his environment and the fact that he is simply not well suited to it.

Ben-Mendelsohn.jpg

The film's laid back pacing shifts a bit once Ben Mendelsohn's Pope comes into it. He's the 'Pesci' of the film in the simplest of terms, but Mendelsohn imbues him with more complexity than that with subtle gestures here and there and difficult to figure out intent. Jacki Weaver's Janine is potentially the most complex of the lot. The matriarch but not a sadistic one, just one willing to go to whatever measures in order to protect her family. She's, in many ways, the most pure out of the family, and like Mendelsohn, Weaver gives her Janine an ambiguous edge.

Great film and my favourite of 2010.

Runner Up:

Inception (Christopher Nolan)

inception_movie_hd_trailer_stills_nolan_dicaprio_ellenpage32-610x258.jpg

I have a lot of problems with Inception, but there really isn't a film of it's scale like it. The literal multiple dimensional storytelling is a hell of a feat, regardless of flaws, and it's for that reason alone that it's a runner up. Not Nolan's best by a long shot, but it's his most audacious.

I really like this decade so far. For 2010, I've struggled to decide between two top picks but I think I'll go for the one that stands up best to repeat watches (in fact, a repeat watch is essential). That is Scorsese's

Shutter Island
shttrislnd_1383.jpg

An absolutely phenomenal performance from DiCaprio here; especially his heart-rending scenes with his wife Delores (Michelle Williams). It really made me sit up and take notice of the actor who I'd previously not liked a whole lot. He demonstrates his full range in this as an FBI detective haunted by painful memories and on a devastating personal arc.

As for the story- detective investigates a missing person case on a storm-ravaged Island asylum; its a smart mystery that comes to a truly heartbreaking conclusion, and Scorsese's gear shift from the crime genre into this is effortless. An ominous score and wonderful supporting cast seal the deal, especially the ying and yang of Ben Kingsley's kind hearted Dr Cawley and Max von Sydow's more sinister Dr Naehring.

Few films deal with mental illness quite so powerfully.

ca6710644bc912de112a8d0b121301ff16f7ca5f.jpg

Runner up:

Black Swan
black-swan.jpg

Arguably Darren Aronofsky's finest film; a trippy psycho-drama reprising the intensity of Requiem for a Dream and with a dash of Cronenberg flavoured body-horror. Natalie Portman was a revelation in this; a talented and perfectionist dancer who gets a shot at Swan Lake; while struggling under the hegemony of a bitter and controlling mother, as well as jealous and more confident co-stars. The play's director Vincent Cassell (tellingly the only significant male figure in her life) tries to draw out her 'dark side'; but at the possible cost of her sanity.
As with Requiem, and later, Mother, the film ramps up the anxiety and the insanity towards it's stunning conclusion.

Top 10 of 2010:
upload_2019-5-9_13-24-15.png

A decent year for me, with strong entries from Scorsese, Fincher, Nolan, Aronofsky, Edgar Wright and Ben Affleck; as well as a stunning foreign language contender from newcomer Denis Villeneuve in his epic dram Incendies. Some delightful animated fare too with Toy Story 3 being among the finest animated films ever for my money, and Tangled one of my faves from the recent Disney era.

Films seen from this year:
Darren Allanson’s films

A few more honorable mentions: 127 Hours, Biutiful, Winters Bone, Despicable Me, Monsters, Black Death.

Yes, good pick on both Shutter Island and Black Swan. Makes me wonder if they'd make a good double bill actually. I would have picked Black Swan as a runner up but I was convinced it came out in 2012 for some reason :eek:

If I remember correctly, I think that Shutter Island was meant as a homage to a brilliant Samuel Fuller film Shock Corridor, and it really works well. Agreed on the scenes between Dicaprio and Williams. Heartbreaking and disturbing stuff.

Great start guys. I'm just fine tuning my runner up (i rewatched it yesterday for my 'homework', and found it wasnt quite worthy enough), and will post later today. Quite a difficult one 2010, with no ultra standout from me. I'll be very interested in how this decade pans out for the rest of the AVF members too.

As a huge Edgar Wright fan, my No.1 for 2010 was a fairly easy choice...

scott.JPG

"We are Sex Bob-Omb and we are here to make you think about death
and get sad and stuff."

I watched this again only a few weeks ago and nine years on it still feels bang up to date and effortlessly cool.

An utterly bonkers premise, cartoon/video game visuals and a great cast delivering a razor-sharp script. One of my favourite films when I just want entertaining and a smile putting on my face.

The rest, not in any particular order (though if pushed, Dragon Tattoo would probably be second)...

bs.jpg
dm.jpg
drago.jpg
eli.jpg
fl.jpg
ka.jpg
si.jpg
inc.jpg

Attachments

• inc.jpg
    inc.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Great thread (again!).

Will need to scan over my records of 2010 movies but I think my fave of 2010 has already been mentioned a few times. Probably in my top 20 of all time so I doubt i'll get home and find something to top it.

Superb decade for me and looking forward to the contributor's choices:smashin:
Beyond the Black Rainbow (2010) Directed by Panos Cosmatos
5449.jpg

While Incendies is the better movie I’ve gone for Beyond the Black Rainbow for my first choice simply because I’ve rewatched it more times than any other film on my list, The film echoes all the sci-fi films I love covering everyone from Kubrick, Roeg, Tarkovsky and wraps it all into a very Lynchian atmosphere, a truly superb piece not only visually but sonically.

Incendies (2010) Directed by Denis Villeneuve
maxresdefault.jpg

A journey so taut with so many brutal and shocking discoveries that through its brilliant structure delivers each of these moments in such a subtle way that you just can’t help getting totally involved in its characters and their epic journey of discovery, a harrowing and very remarkable piece of filmmaking.

The Arbor (2010) Directed by Clio Barnard
the-arbor.jpeg

If your going to use a gimmick in your film you better make sure it works and yep this one does it 100%, using the personal diary and taped recordings from friends and family it tells the bleak story of acclaimed playwright Andrea Dunbar best known for Rita, Sue and Bob Too, the film focuses on her life her young daughters life and all the heartbreak struggle the effects of living on a rundown council estate bring.
The actors brilliantly mime and lip-synch the recorded tapes and diary excerpts

My top 10 of 2010
Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 19.58.50.png

Ok, so I know that this will be a bit controversial considering the year has yet to end, but as @Drax1 pointed out, we can always update this list.

The 10s has truly been a conflicting decade for me as i'm sure it has for many other people. It's easily the worst decade in film, but as always, there are some gems here and there (mostly world cinema, arthouse) while the studio system is in the worst shape it has ever been in. I know @lucasisking is a fan of this decade and maybe as times goes on, there will be a better outlook on it, but as of today, it's not the most interesting decade for me, though i'm looking forward to seeing how the rest of you guys responding to it.

To note, the 60s/50s and 40s threads were meant to occur way before the 10s, and that's still in the pipeline, I have just wanted to watch as many of films from the decade as I possible could to ensure that I can contribute to the threads as strongly as possible.

Anyway, without further ado, lets get straight down to business.

Animal Kingdom (David Michod)

animal_kingdom07.jpg

This low key Aussie crime drama had been on my radar for quite awhile and it wasn't until about 5-6 years ago that I finally caught it. Went in for Guy Pearce, who i've always been a big fan of, and came out of it admiring a lot of other talents like Jacki Weaver and Ben Mendelsohn. This was my first exposure to those two and looking back on this now, it's clear that Michod had put together a heavyweight cast of brilliant actors.

Adopting a more subtle, low key approach compared to many who delve into the crime genre, Animal Kingdom benefits from a familiar and relatable world in which your heroes are neither likeable or unlikeable, but just incredibly flawed human beings trying to survive in a world that's socially hostile. Our youthful, bewildered protagonist, Jay (sympathetically performed by James Frecheville) is not your most courageous, resourceful or even intelligent hero, but a young man who's aware of his environment and the fact that he is simply not well suited to it.

Ben-Mendelsohn.jpg

The film's laid back pacing shifts a bit once Ben Mendelsohn's Pope comes into it. He's the 'Pesci' of the film in the simplest of terms, but Mendelsohn imbues him with more complexity than that with subtle gestures here and there and difficult to figure out intent. Jacki Weaver's Janine is potentially the most complex of the lot. The matriarch but not a sadistic one, just one willing to go to whatever measures in order to protect her family. She's, in many ways, the most pure out of the family, and like Mendelsohn, Weaver gives her Janine an ambiguous edge.

Great film and my favourite of 2010.

Runner Up:

Inception (Christopher Nolan)

inception_movie_hd_trailer_stills_nolan_dicaprio_ellenpage32-610x258.jpg

I have a lot of problems with Inception, but there really isn't a film of it's scale like it. The literal multiple dimensional storytelling is a hell of a feat, regardless of flaws, and it's for that reason alone that it's a runner up. Not Nolan's best by a long shot, but it's his most audacious.
Great shout for Animal Kingdom. I remember enjoying it, and despite being a little disappointed in the lack of Joel Edgerton, being utterly blown away by Ben Mendelsohn. He's fantastic in it, and thoroughly deserves the Hollywood roles that followed.

Best Film 2010 - Tron Legacy

"It's bio-digital jazz man".

I'm guessing this won't prove to be very popular as a winner for 2010, especially as nobody has even given it a shout yet! I trawled through a lot of titles, and whilst there was plenty I rated, a clear winner was a struggle.
Based on a tremendous cinematic screening of it, and having hugely enjoyed subsequent home viewings, it just had to be Joseph Kosinski's very belated follow up - Tron : Legacy.
As a giant nostalgia fuelled injection, this absolutely fires on all cylinders and as someone who had an absolute blast with the likes of Creed and The Force Awakens, this works a treat for the same reason.
Bring back key original cast members? Check. Plenty of nods to the original whilst continuing the story? Check. A very belated sequel that you never thought would happen? Check.
I've still got very fond memories as a kid on family holidays, pouring my pocket money into the Tron arcade machine, and the ground breaking nature of the 1982 original.
I remember the cinema outing to see the sequel like yesterday, and it being arguably the best 3-D screening I've experienced (Avatar included). This was utilised perfectly as the film begins in 2-D, and the viewer is asked to put the 3-D glasses on as Garrett Hedlund enters The Grid. A simple trick that massively adds to the immersion of it all. Exiting the cinema, I was struck with an all too rare thing these days - a huge buzz and feeling that cinema was built for this sort of thing. I wanted to be back in that world! This, combined with the nostalgia of revisiting Flynn's Arcade and The Grid 26 years later, made it something special.
Kosinski ensures this looks stunning, with some fabulous visuals, which he would later carry through on Tom Cruise's Oblivion.
It's great to see the marvellous Jeff Bridges return not only as Kevin Flynn, but also a de-aged villain CLU. The tech used with CLU may have moved on a fair bit with all things MCU, but this still works well and I was sucker for his (deliberately)dead eyed mirror image. Properly creepy.
Bruce Boxleitner also returns as Alan Bradley, offering sage advice to new hero Sam Flynn.
Michael Sheen got a bit of stick for his role, but I thought the whole albino Ziggy Stardust look fitted in to a tee, given the film's oddball premise.
A special mention should also go to the gorgeous Olivia Wilde who plays Quorra. Her naïve nature, never having left The Grid works to good affect, and she also gets some involved in plenty of the action.

The setpieces (as you would expect) are tremendous, with the light cycles being an obvious highlight like they were way back in 1982.
Then there's THAT soundtrack. Daft Punk put together a downright killer score (as well as having cameos), that I'd wager is one of the finest of the last decade. It never gets boring, and some of the tracks still really give me goosebumps. Just listen to this short track -

Are there films that deserve to be in it's place? Sure, but this a personal journey of film in 2010, and for me, nothing could compete. I'll be forever disappointed that a planned third instalment seems to have stalled long along, and will likely not happen anytime soon.

Runner Up
Hereafter

"You have a duty to do it because it's a gift".

A tough one this, as most were of similar quality, but I'm going for one of Clint Eastwood's
many directorial efforts. If far from his best, and it wasn't hugely liked by audiences generally, but I honestly found this supernatural tale very affecting.
Matt Damon has a change of pace here as everyman George Lonegan, who also happens to be a genuine psychic. His take on the troubled character, is nicely done and absorbing, as are the expertly woven other characters stories, all set for a collision course.
It's notable for having the lovely Bryce Dallas Howard in a small capacity, who gets to steal some of the film's best scenes.
Again, certainly not film for everyone, but it worked for me.

Honourable Mentions -

Animal Kingdom - Already in some lists, it's notable for a stone cold, absolutely chilling performance by Ben Mendelsohn.
True Grit - Worthy remake shock, with a terrific Jeff Bridges.
The Town - Ben Affleck and Jeremy Renner make a great combo in this quality crime flick.
Toy Story 3 - Solid trilogy capper that needs no fourth instalment imo.
The Losers - Very watchable comic book caper notable for a pre Cap Chris Evans
Winter's Bone - Bleak, and slow burning, but very solid drama.
Blue Valentine - Anti rom com, that is great if you can cope with it's dpwnbeat tone.
Black Swan - Natalie Portman's best performance yet.
The Kids Are Alright - High calibre family drama with Mark Ruffalo the highlight.
127 Hours - Danny Boyle keeps things interesting within (very) limited locations.
Girl Who Played with Fire/Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest - Very entertaing (but lesser) sequels, that show Noomi Rapace makes anything better.
Inception - Not my favourite of Nolan's films, and a little over indulgent, but it does boast some of Hans Zimmer's best work.
Never Let Me Go - A trio of excellent performances from the leads.
The King's Speech - A film anchored by Colin Firth's fantastic lead.
The Next Three Days - Some good tension in this Russell Crowe thriller.
Robin Hood - Crowe again. Ridley Scott at least tried a different take on things, and having watched some of the epic beach scenes being filmed in the UK, this therefore gets a free pass from me!

A special shout goes out to both Shutter Island and The Social Network, neither of which I got on with first time around, but feel I should probably have another crack at.

Last edited:

Based on a tremendous cinematic screening of it, and having hugely enjoyed subsequent home viewings, it just had to be Joseph Kosinski's very belated follow up - Tron : Legacy.

Are there films that deserve to be in it's place? Sure, but this a personal journey of film in 2010, and for me, nothing could compete.

Good for you mate. I can't love this as much as I'd like to (I have tried), but its certainly a quality excercise in world-building and visually it's unmatched in 2010. I probably ought to have made it an honorable mention.

Good for you mate. I can't love this as much as I'd like to (I have tried), but its certainly a quality excercise in world-building and visually it's unmatched in 2010. I probably ought to have made it an honorable mention.
Once I'd made my decision for a winner, it seemed a little strange at first surrounded by some of the more prolific, critical darlings, but this was one occasion I was happy to let my heart dictate matters. Once I started typing, my enthusiasm came easily, and I stand by my choice.
And yes, it should have made your honourable mentions!

Superb decade for me and looking forward to the contributor's choices:smashin:
Beyond the Black Rainbow (2010) Directed by Panos Cosmatos
View attachment 1149124

While Incendies is the better movie I’ve gone for Beyond the Black Rainbow for my first choice simply because I’ve rewatched it more times than any other film on my list, The film echoes all the sci-fi films I love covering everyone from Kubrick, Roeg, Tarkovsky and wraps it all into a very Lynchian atmosphere, a truly superb piece not only visually but sonically.

Incendies (2010) Directed by Denis Villeneuve
View attachment 1149125

A journey so taut with so many brutal and shocking discoveries that through its brilliant structure delivers each of these moments in such a subtle way that you just can’t help getting totally involved in its characters and their epic journey of discovery, a harrowing and very remarkable piece of filmmaking.

The Arbor (2010) Directed by Clio Barnard
View attachment 1149126
If your going to use a gimmick in your film you better make sure it works and yep this one does it 100%, using the personal diary and taped recordings from friends and family it tells the bleak story of acclaimed playwright Andrea Dunbar best known for Rita, Sue and Bob Too, the film focuses on her life her young daughters life and all the heartbreak struggle the effects of living on a rundown council estate bring.
The actors brilliantly mime and lip-synch the recorded tapes and diary excerpts

Not seen Beyond the Black Rainbow but that's added, sounds like it could be an experience. Added. I've actually got The Arbor on blu ray but i've yet to watch it. I'm a fan of Rita, Sue and Bob Too so it's one of those must watches for me.

"It's bio-digital jazz man".

I'm guessing this won't prove to be very popular as a winner for 2010, especially as nobody has even given it a shout yet! I trawled through a lot of titles, and whilst there was plenty I rated, a clear winner was a struggle.
As a giant nostalgia fuelled injection, this absolutely fires on all cylinders and as someone who had an absolute blast with the likes of Creed and The Force Awakens, this works a treat for the same reason.
Bring back key original cast members? Check. Plenty of nods to the original whilst continuing the story? Check. A very belated sequel that you never thought would happen? Check.
I've still got very fond memories as a kid on family holidays, pouring my pocket money into the Tron arcade machine, and the ground breaking nature of the 1982 original.
I remember the cinema outing to see the sequel like yesterday, and it being arguably the best 3-D screening I've experienced (Avatar included). This was utilised perfectly as the film begins in 2-D, and the viewer is asked to put the 3-D glasses on as Garrett Hedlund enters The Grid. A simple trick that massively adds to the immersion of it all. Exiting the cinema, I was struck with an all too rare thing these days - a huge buzz and feeling that cinema was built for this sort of thing. I wanted to be back in that world! This, combined with the nostalgia of revisiting Flynn's Arcade and The Grid 26 years later, made it something special.
Kosinski ensures this looks stunning, with some fabulous visuals, which he would later carry through on Tom Cruise's Oblivion.
It's great to see the marvellous Jeff Bridges return not only as Kevin Flynn, but also a de-aged villain CLU. The tech used with CLU may have moved on a fair bit with all things MCU, but this still works well and I was sucker for his (deliberately)dead eyed mirror image. Properly creepy.
Bruce Boxleitner also returns as Alan Bradley, offering sage advice to new hero Sam Flynn.
Michael Sheen got a bit of stick for his role, but I thought the whole albino Ziggy Stardust look fitted in to a tee, given the film's oddball premise.
A special mention should also go to the gorgeous Olivia Wilde who plays Quorra. Her naïve nature, never having left The Grid works to good affect, and she also gets some involved in plenty of the action.

The setpieces (as you would expect) are tremendous, with the light cycles being an obvious highlight like they were way back in 1982.
Then there's THAT soundtrack. Daft Punk put together a downright killer score (as well as having cameos), that I'd wager is one of the finest of the last decade. It never gets boring, and some of the tracks still really give me goosebumps. Just listen to this short track -

Are there films that deserve to be in it's place? Sure, but this a personal journey of film in 2010, and for me, nothing could compete. I'll be forever disappointed that a planned third instalment seems to have stalled long along, and will likely not happen anytime soon.

Runner Up
Hereafter

"You have a duty to do it because it's a gift".

A tough one this, as most were of similar quality, but I'm going for one of Clint Eastwood's
many directorial efforts. If far from his best, and it wasn't hugely liked by audiences generally, but I honestly found this supernatural tale very affecting.
Matt Damon has a change of pace here as everyman George Lonegan, who also happens to be a genuine psychic. His take on the troubled character, is nicely done and absorbing, as are the expertly woven other characters stories, all set for a collision course.
It's notable for having the lovely Bryce Dallas Howard in a small capacity, who gets to steal some of the film's best scenes.
Again, certainly not film for everyone, but it worked for me.

Yeah, i'm with lucas in that I really wanted to like Tron: Legacy because of nostalgia for the original, but I just wasn't into it. Agreed that it was a visual feast, though. Great soundtrack and audio too.

Interesting pick in Hereafter, a film that completely alluded me. I've not seen it and i'm now tempted. I think it's got Switchblade Romance's Cecile DeFrance in it too, if i'm not mistaken?

Once I'd made my decision for a winner, it seemed a little strange at first surrounded by some of the more prolific, critical darlings, but this was one occasion I was happy to let my heart dictate matters. Once I started typing, my enthusiasm came easily, and I stand by my choice.
And yes, it should have made your honourable mentions!

Well I loved Tron: Legacy and it's fantastic visuals and score, great choice :thumbsup:
Watched Inception recently and it's a great film if not as flawless as I once thought, still fantastic entertainment.
Shutter Island a brilliant adaptation of a great book, looking forward to rewatching the blu.

Great thread (again!).

Will need to scan over my records of 2010 movies but I think my fave of 2010 has already been mentioned a few times. Probably in my top 20 of all time so I doubt i'll get home and find something to top it.

Well I loved Tron: Legacy and it's fantastic visuals and score, great choice :thumbsup:
Watched Inception recently and it's a great film if not as flawless as I once thought, still fantastic entertainment.
Shutter Island a brilliant adaptation of a great book, looking forward to rewatching the blu.

Looking forward to your choices. Not that we're in any rush, but might be worth calling in the banners for some of the other regulars too: @J.J.GITTES , @pRot3us , @richp007 , @Goldleader80 , @BigStu1972 (sure there were more as well).

As above, for me the film of 2010 is Inception.

What is remarkable for me about Inception is it showed you can make intelligent densely plotted blockbuster movies and audiences will come out to watch them (took $828 million at the global box office). It's a shame then that Hollywood hasn't woken up to this fact and made more films like this.

For me Nolan is the most consistently great filmmaker of our time. He hasn't yet made a bad movie (some are obviously better than others). Inception has so much that it is good about it that it can be forgiven for some of its minor issues. Here are some of my favourite points:

The hallway fight scene (still mind blowing to watch)
The use of practical effects (see hallway scene above)
The ability to weave multiple story threads in multiple timelines and still understand exactly what is going on.
The ambiguity of the ending.
The use of different Movie genres.
The fact that it is based on a completely original idea not part of a franchise or a remake.
Also despite the criticism that is often levelled at him, Inception is a movie filled with emotion. What father could fail to be moved by the plight of a man who wants to get back to his children whilst also mourning the loss of his wife.

What are the negatives:
For me the main negative is that on repeated viewings the exposition is just a bit too obvious (having said that the film may have been impossible to follow the first time viewing without it) and I also feel that the film has one level too many in it.

Runner Up: Toy Story 3
What was at the time a fitting conclusion to the trilogy (hopefully Toy Story 4 doesn't undo this)

I have my top 2. Coincidentally, have watched them both in the last few months. Actually a pretty decent year when I discovered several other likes of the year.

Off to Wales for the weekend so will post up Sunday night.

Yeah I'm gonna have to blow the dust off a few Blu's for 2010. Looking at some of these lists so far, it wasn't a bad year for film.

And Incendies. This is my moment of forum shame :eek::eek: I haven't watched it! I'm not sure how it's happened. I own the Blu, but I'm not sure where it is!!

If I can't find it tonight I'm tearing the house apart all weekend.

Edit: Found it. The box first, the disc was missing. Then the disc turned up in the Dallas Buyers Club box. So hell knows where that disc is. An absolute scandal. Someone's broken in and been messing with my films!!

Last edited:
Best Film 2010

Inception

images

Has to be my fav from this year. I remember going to the cinema on my own and been totally blown away by the film and then dragging the wife along to watch it for a second time (she loved it too). The film has a great twisting plot, amazing set pieces and a great ending. I think it is the first film for Nolan outside of Batman where he was given the freedom to create whatever he wanted. And boy does this show, its a complex brain twister in blockbuster clothes. This is also an original idea, we don't have many films or film makers left that create films from the ground up and do it so well. Most films now are based on something or a sequel.

Runner Up

Kick-Ass

upload_2019-5-10_13-52-29.jpeg

This film is totally bat s*%t crazy in a way only Matthew Vaughn could pull off. The moment Hit Girl appears you know this isn't some teen Spiderman superhero film. It laid the path for Deadpool with its gore and adult comedy. Shame the squeal was so bad.

Mentions - Tron, Toy Story 3, Easy A, Unstoppable, How To Train Your Dragon

Buried
rwe.jpg

Simple premise and nicely played out. It kept me gripped with Reynolds playing, well, kinda Reynolds. Satisfying finish too.

Buried
View attachment 1149417

Simple premise and nicely played out. It kept me gripped with Reynolds playing, well, kinda Reynolds. Satisfying finish too.
I forgot about Buried. Whilst it wouldn't have troubled my top 2, it did however, ensure that enjoyed a Ryan Reynolds performance for the first time. I had him pegged as a one trick pony before that. And it gets bonus points for holding viewers interest throughout, given the location...

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom