Presentation machine

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Julius Win, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Julius Win

Julius Win
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I hope I've posted in the correct forum.

I work in an advertising media agency, and I've tasked to find a presentation solution of our users and our clients.

Our scenario: We have PC and Mac users making presentations on [PC] Powerpoint 2010 and [OS X] Powerpoint 2011 and Keynote (Mavericks revised edition). We pitch to clients and currently we have many compatibility issues. In our new building, we will have 3 floors and six meeting rooms in each floor, so when there are many pitches going on at the same time; to save us from running between floors we need to consider a simple solution that all our users and clients can present from.

What we considered were Mac Mini's (Mavericks) in each room running Parallels to overcome compatibility issues. However, we considered this too expensive for the amount of rooms we have.

Any simple(r) or better ideas?

Regards,

Julius

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,549
    I take it your users don't all have their own laptops? I believe the usual situation is just to provide a video cable to the projector (or screen) and let people hook up and run the presentation from their machine.

3. Julius Win

Julius Win
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, that's right, all users won't have their own laptops thus connect our monitors to a Mac Mini with Parallels seems the most feasible option.

4. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,549
    I'm guessing the powerpoint interface doesn't differ much and Office 2011/2010 users will happy be able to run their files with the other program. I'm not familiar with how well keynote exports to powerpoint format, but being Apple I guess it's probably not that well.

What about screen sharing technology? VNC and the like? If there are network connections between the work machines and the presentation rooms then you may be able to run the presentation on the work machine and show it via the low power machine in the presentation room.